Quebecor/Pierre Karl Paladeau negotiating to purchase the Montreal Alouettes

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

League currently owns the team (again) as of February 14, a year and half after majority owner Sid Spiegel passed away

Curious of his motives as the league's contract with TSN/RDS runs another 3 years so wouldn't be able to put games on TVA sports for a while. Already owns the QMJHL Remparts and rights to Centre Videotron so this would be smallish conglomerate if this happens.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Als interim president Mario Checcini expected to named the new commissioner of the QMJHL?

PKP owns the Remparts, does he still own the Armada?

That may give him enough influence to give Checchini a higher paying job and then hire his someone new to run the Als?

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
According to La Presse the team has been sold

Press conference expected tomorrow morning at Olympic Stadium

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Sounds like he just wants to own a pro sports team and the Alouettes are all that are for sale at this point. If he loses a million a year here or there its pocket change.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Meh, if he wants to grow his network, he should start a CPL team. The CFL is a dead brand in Quebec. Older demo.

That's actually a good idea. I bet the CPL would do well in Quebec City.

But that said, the CFL probably seems dead in Quebec because the Als haven't given fans much to get excited about. They increased attendance significantly last season as the team improved and there's no reason to believe that trend can't continue.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
That's actually a good idea. I bet the CPL would do well in Quebec City.

But that said, the CFL probably seems dead in Quebec because the Als haven't given fans much to get excited about. They increased attendance significantly last season as the team improved and there's no reason to believe that trend can't continue.
Oh, I agree. There is something to be done with the Als... but it will require on-field succes and stars.

It is a dead brand with French-Canadians outside of Montreal. When I was younger, they were very popular. I think they can be again as football is as popular as ever in Quebec... just not the CFL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad