Quebec!

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
It would have been very interesting to hear Maurice Richard's views but, from what I understand, he stayed out of politics as much as he could.

I know that Jean Beliveau, Henri Richard and I believe Maurice Richard were against separation, stating so publicly along with others.

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
French speaking people in Montreal are mostly separatists

There you go, the thing is, Montreal has as many anglophones and ethnic groups that are overwhelmingly federalist and as far as I know, those people are Canadians, Quebecers and Montrealers.

Kafka said:
I used the rght word for english speakers I though:
Quebecois = french quebecers
Quebecers = citizen of the province of Quebec
No, you used the wrong term. Quebecer and Québécois mean the same thing, people from Quebec, regardless of their parents origin. The proper term you are looking for is french Canadians/Quebecers

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Prospal mouthed off to Brisebois. Prospal said afterwards he thought itr was just how people talked and he didn't mean to be offensive, and he's probably being honest.

I remember that. Prospal called him a frog and after that he made a comment along the lines of "I apologize to all French Canadians but not to that man (Brisebois)." It had something to do with Brisebois saying something about his wife if I recall.

But the point was if you want to "suspend" players for remarks like that then why not do it to all? Simon was suspended in 1997 for calling Mike Grier a N*gger. It was in the heat of the battle. Darcy Tucker was questioned once when he flapped his arms in a chicken motion to Peter Worrell (I think) and some idiot in the media made it out to be like he was pretending he was an ape, which was so far-fetched. Chris Gratton caused and uproar when during a pushing and shoving match some reporters read his lips and assumed he was saying "*****ing ape" to Worrell once when it was clearly "play the game."

So why is it that a black player or a European player cant be called a name without a suspension but a French player can? And by the way I'm from Ontario and I've posted a couple of things on this thread about how I feel some Quebecers are ungrateful so dont think I'm a separatist. I've neve been a fan of suspensions for words, I mean that's all it is, words, in the heat of the moment. Remember the saying "stick and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me?" I believe in that so I think people are just whining when a player shouts a remark out like that - even though I know it isnt right its far from the worst thing that can happen in a game. But if you do it for one race/culture why not do it for all? Why was Sean Avery not suspended when he called out French Canadians last year?

Canadarocks

Sep 16, 2005
I know that Jean Beliveau, Henri Richard and I believe Maurice Richard were against separation, stating so publicly along with others.

Jean Beliveau, who I'm pretty sure has lived in Quebec all his life, says in his autobiography that he's very proud to be a Canadian and considers it the greatest country in the world. He's a very diplomatic person though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad