Quebec, its Media, and the Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
it's nice you did your history home work in class and read a few books on history, suggest you look for more though as you'd be surprised how many books on the same subject are telling different stories...

and yeah, if you really want to know more about the WW1 and mostly WW2 and the ideology behind it I suggest you read a few German sociologists from the late 19th, that's where it all comes from.

The great war and the second were not caused by fascism, they were caused by nationalism and banking/credit failures.

Fascism was seen as a legitimate solution to these problems, as horrific as that might sound to us now.

And yes, I know of Nietzsche, thanks.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Isn't there a distinct difference between wanting to be "represented" nationally and demanding they play for us?

I mean as far as I know people in Canada want Canadian athletes to be successful. Crosby is still Crosby even though he plays in Pittsburgh.

Shouldn't the primary objective be to sustain a highly competitive program for hockey in Quebec? The majority of top Canadian NHL players are not from Quebec. Clearly we have a dry spell or were not up to par.

I feel as though if we take more pride and emphasis on creating successful québécois players that in the end there will be more for us to draft, sign and represent the "nation" in Montreal.

I have said for ages that Habs should be dominant at drafting in Quebec. Great french players won Habs most of their cups. And I want to see more of them.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
I have said for ages that Habs should be dominant at drafting in Quebec. Great french players won Habs most of their cups. And I want to see more of them.

If they are of the quality of Vlasic, Giroux, Huberdeau, Drouin, then I have no problem with it. The player has to match the role

It's pumping up players who have no business being in the roles they occupy, or signing players on the decline that causes resentment.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
If they are of the quality of Vlasic, Giroux, Huberdeau, Drouin, then I have no problem with it. The player has to match the role

It's pumping up players who have no business being in the roles they occupy, or signing players on the decline that causes resentment.

I think that is because most media in Montreal never actually saw how truly great Savard, Cournoyer, Lemaire, Lapointe, Henri Richard, and Lafluer were live. I did.

That is what bugs my **** most about this Montreal French media. They have no respect for the true french greats, because I think they they never saw them. And if they did see them, they can't tell the ****ing difference, which is even worse.

If they had, they would not gob on and on about mediocrities like DD. It is the disrespect of those great french players with this agenda for average and crap players that pisses me off the most.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
This is true. Because someone will always **** you up the ass otherwise. Trust me, I know, because the new Stalin is Xi, and this place is terrified. He is destroying Hong Kong, and he could not care less.

I'm pretty new to the China realities. One of my business aquaintances found his girlfriend during one of his many trips to China and he told me that China will be facing civil unrest very soon. Do you feel it there?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I'm pretty new to the China realities. One of my business aquaintances found his girlfriend during one of his many trips to China and he told me that China will be facing civil unrest very soon. Do you feel it there?

You have no idea. The injustice in China is massive, and daily. There will be blood.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
By the way, the thread starter had a great and mature post to start it off. It should be pasted in any thread when the franco argument comes up. I just hope this thread keeps the same tone of maturity. Let's keep it clean please and not react like 15 year olds. Bsl is probably from the same generation as I and I appreciate his life experience.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
You have no idea. The injustice in China is massive, and daily. There will be blood.

He tells me that what will be the downfall is some economic factors, like rampant inflation not equal to wage hikes and internet with the younger crowds. What else donyou see? And you know you are taking great chances writing this?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I'm french and all of my friends are too.
All hockey fans too and none of them gives a **** about french or anglo player or coach and some of them are really pro-quebecois.

After a couple of research and even survey about this, this is what i found out.

Most of the minus 40 years old don't care at all about the provenance of a hockey player.
Most of the plus 40 years old care a lot about having french player with the Habs....

And there's the tons of fans who can't generate an opinion by themselves and simply repeat what they are hearing on the mainstream media. (And there's a lot of them)

In my book, this is sports and the only goal is to win the Stanley Cup and NOTHING else should matters and i mean nothing.

Nobody really know why we need french players, media likes them cause they can get some easy interview and even scoop (cause most of them simply sucked with the english language) and others wants to "identify" themselves to them (which is dumb to identify to a millionaire pushing a puck for living)

French player aren't nothing special

But with the media, the french players are always: Hard worker, devoted and so on.....hell, Mathieu Darche was define like that, when in fact he was a marginal player that were even bad on the bottom 6. But for some old Dinosaurs like Bertrand, G. Therrien, Tremblay....it matters more than winning.

We're not in 1980 anymore
Times have changed.....and some still living in the past tried to bring back their good old days but all they are doing is destroying our good old days.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
^ Agree there is a divide among franco-Québécois regarding "affirmative action" strategies to have more Franco players on the CH, or for example to play dd above his abilities. But even if only some Québécois would be pissed for example if dd were traded or Habs got a unilingual coach, these unhappy people's voices would be amplified through Qc mainstream media, and I don't think Molson, as beer company, wants to take the chance there would be a backlash.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
He tells me that what will be the downfall is some economic factors, like rampant inflation not equal to wage hikes and internet with the younger crowds. What else donyou see? And you know you are taking great chances writing this?

I can't tell you much on a personal level (it will be interesting to read what bsl has to say on the subject) but China's economy has been very interesting lately.

Wages last year grew by 8% after controlling for inflation. 9.2% for rural income vs 6.8% for urban income thus reducing the gap between rural and urban income from a peak of 3.3:1 in 2009 to 2.9:1 last year. (source : The Economist)
Another interesting fact is that the services sector accounted for 48.2% of the economy last year.

As wages are growing low cost activities are being passed to large low income populations in South-East Asia. In a near future China won't be seen anymore as the world's manufacturing plant.

Not everything is bright though, China's GDP is about half what it was 10 years ago and their stock Market will come crashing down sooner or later. Stocks are valued about 30% more in mainland than in Hong kong and the CSI 300 (index that includes China's biggest stocks) has risen by 150% over the past year which is crazy.

Not later than this week, MSCI refused to include China's shares into its index which mean that China won't be able to have access to billions of foreign dollars.

On the other hand though, China has been able to convince 57 countries so far to join its new asian infrastructure investment bank (AIIB) to fund its $8 trillion infrastructure investment projects within the next 10 years. The AIIB could become a competitor to the World Bank down the road, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Giroux is French Canadian but not québécois.

Oddly enough. If we count giroux then toews should be counted.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Greater Montreal area and the rest of Quebec are two separate nations.

I love montreal and when asked I identify myself as a Montrealer from Canada.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Greater Montreal area and the rest of Quebec are two separate nations.

I love montreal and when asked I identify myself as a Montrealer from Canada.

I meet a lot of people from the South shore here at Université de Sherbrooke, and I would say the way people think in Longeuil/Chambly/St-Jean is rather similar to how we think in the Eastern Townships.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

Their 'banking' system will collapse, and there is a lack of skill and knowledge throughout the economy. The education system is a joke, and most people are too young for their positions because everyone over 50 was sent to farms during the cultural revolution.

The economic 'miracle' was easy when you start from zero. I do not see china making the transition that Japan and Korea did to move into a higher skill/income economy. In both cases, that took democratic reforms.

There is zero chance of democracy in China. The party must survive above all and will drag the country to ruin and starvation if required to stay in power.

I will not say more on this here.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I meet a lot of people from the South shore here at Université de Sherbrooke, and I would say the way people think in Longeuil/Chambly/St-Jean is rather similar to how we think in the Eastern Townships.

Ya, and what is the combined population of those towns?

Montreal is separate to Quebec culturaly, economically, politically etc....with the exception of certain minority areas.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine

Montreal is separate to Quebec culturaly, economically, politically etc....with the exception of certain minority areas.

I'm not so sure. Montréal is the center of the province, most young Quebecers from other parts move here to work, study, or live. Montréal is very much linked with the rest of the province.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I'm not so sure. Montréal is the center of the province, most young Quebecers from other parts move here to work, study, or live. Montréal is very much linked with the rest of the province.

Again, what you're referring to is still a minority fraction of the entire MTL population.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

There's nearly 1 Million people on the South shore. Let's say the people from the Chateauguay area think differently which is roughly 160k people. So that makes 840k people, added to the 320k in the eastern townships...

If that's not a good chunk of the province, then I don't know what to say.

Honest question, have you visited the province outside of the Greater Montréal Area?

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
There's nearly 1 Million people on the South shore. Let's say the people from the Chateauguay area think differently which is roughly 160k people. So that makes 840k people, added to the 320k in the eastern townships...

If that's not a good chunk of the province, then I don't know what to say.

Honest question, have you visited the province outside of the Greater Montréal Area?

Please google population and demographics of gma.

And why are we bringing up the eastern townships exactly?

As to your last question, yes I have. I probably seen more of the province than your average citizen from say Matane or St Jean

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I too see a big difference between Montreal (not GMA but the city/island itself) and the ROQ. Montreal is de-facto multilingual and multicultural, whereas ROQ is clearly not.

Agree. But a francophone from say Laval or say ile perrot is on average not sharing the same education, political beliefs and other values as say a francophone from drumondville.

Last edited:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Please google population and demographics of gma.

And why are we bringing up the eastern townships exactly?

As to your last question, yes I have. I probably seen more of the province than your average citizen from say Matane or St Jean

As I said in my first post, from experience I've found most of the people from the South Shore to have a similar mindset to people in the Eastern Townships. I did take the numbers I quoted from google. ;)

I too see a big difference between Montreal (not GMA but the city/island itself) and the ROQ. Montreal is de-facto multilingual and multicultural, whereas ROQ is clearly not.

Gatineau and Sherbrooke are also multicultural and multilingual. You should visit Sherbtown once in a while, we don't bite!

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
As I said in my first post, from experience I've found most of the people from the South Shore to have a similar mindset to people in the Eastern Townships. I did take the numbers I quoted from google. ;)

Gatineau and Sherbrooke are also multicultural and multilingual. You should visit Sherbtown once in a while, we don't bite!

The south shore is 20% of the population, and within that number there are Anglo and other smaller communities.

Quebec pride, cough, differs in nature from gma and rest of Quebec.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace

Do people there there consider TVA/RDS rhetoric outdated and 'small town' too? This is how my de souche family members and colleagues (I asked) see it. Obviously me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad