Player Discussion Quarterly Report Cards for Players, Coaches and Management?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Management D-
Sitting here while the outhouse goes up in flames is inexcusable. If the coach isn't the problem then obviously the players that were provided to him are.

Coaching F
Putrid special teams, overplaying guys like Letestu on the PP, being too slow to adapt during games, poor management of Puljujarvi, having a team that should be a lock for the playoffs in the lottery with 1/4 of the season gone is just pathetic.

Player grades are relative to what I feel that each player is capable of vs. what they've provided.

Forwards

McDavid B
For his talent level he should be doing better than he is, something seems off with him.

Draisaitl C+
The concussion is likely holding him back but we really could use more out of him and hopefully that comes soon.

RNH A
Our most consistent forward this season, one of the few bright spots this season has been the reemergence of Nuge.

Maroon C
I have just flat out not been a fan of his game this season. Too many missed goals, not enough physicality for my liking either.

Lucic C+
He's been decent and given us secondary scoring and made some big plays for us. My issue with him has been his piss poor passing.

Strome C-
I'd like to see more offense out of him and a bit more speed as well. I thought that he was a better skater when he was draft eligible.

Caggiula D+
2 goal game today aside, he has been less than memorable this season.

Slepyshev INC
Too many injuries and playing unhealthy for me to fairly grade him.

Kassian D
One of the guys in the bottom 6 that we were relying on for offense and it flat out hasn't been there with Zach.

Letestu D-
Invisible at ES and not very effective on the PP. Probably the worst player on our struggling team right now.

Jokinen F
He's gone now but showed enough to earn his mark.

Yamamoto C
Considering his age and size he did well.

Khaira C
Has had his fair share of invisible and good performances.

Pakarinen D
No offense to speak of, his PKing is what gives him a slightly passing grade.

Puljujarvi B
Has been a bright spot in spite of not getting much PP time and being demoted to the 3rd line.

Cammalleri INC
Too small of a sample size, new linemates, new to the system, etc.

Malone C
Not bad when he isn't taking penalties.

Defensemen

Nurse B+
Like Nugent-Hopkins, Nurse has been a very pleasant surprise this season. A few too many mistakes to get an A but he'll clean that up with more experience.

Larsson B
Would get an A if not for his time with Klefbom early in the season.

Klefbom D-
Would've gotten an F if not for some improved play of late. One of our biggest let downs this season.

Russell C
I would like to see more offense from him since he's been mostly on the left side this season.

Benning B-
I have time for this player and after a really rough start he has rebounded fairly well.

Gryba C-
Had a good stretch but has been up and down all season.

Auvitu D
Ok for a depth defenseman but a let down as an offensive defenseman.

Goalies

Talbot C
He just hasn't been very dominant this season, if this team is to get out of the basement they will need a better performance from him moving forward.

Brossoit B-
I'd like to see him get more starts if Cam continues to be less than dominant.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Brossoit B-
I'd like to see him get more starts if Cam continues to be less than dominant.
I agree with most of your rankings except this one.

Brossoit has disappointed me. I give him a C-, I thought he'd be pushing Talbot for more games this year but he's been unreliable. I'm probably more disappointed than the average fan because I was sitting right behind LB during the Carolina game when he got lit up.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I agree with most of your rankings except this one.

Brossoit has disappointed me. I give him a C-, I thought he'd be pushing Talbot for more games this year but he's been unreliable. I'm probably more disappointed than the average fan because I was sitting right behind LB during the Carolina game when he got lit up.

I guess I may have been swayed because he had a few good relief appearances early in the season and a good last start. I just looked at his stats and they are not pretty.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Management: D) They seemed to have a decent core walking into the season. Okay that's fair, but when cracks started to form they were ignored. This team needed better depth defenceman and defensive forwards, and those concerns have been completely ignored. At least Cammy for Jokinen seems like it solved a need for a shooter.

Coaching: F) The PP and PK are a mess, often due to systematic issues. Mind-boggling player usages, and a general lack of control over the roster (these guys don't seem ready to play nightly)

Forwards

McDavid: B+) really goes to show the standard he's set for himself. 25 points in 20 games, but he's been inconsistent this year. Not having a defence that can get him the puck in flight is killing a lot of his offence. I can't think of a single good rush he's had getting the puck in the neutral zone.Often he's had to pick it up in the defensive zone and try and use his speed to still beat defenders that have several steps on him...

Draisaitl: B- Similar to McDavid, the grade goes more to the standard he's set for himself. He's a PPG, but he seems to struggle in traffic this year vs. how he owned it last year.

Maroon: B-) 3rd wheels got to 3rd wheel. He'll go as far as McDrai carry him which is to a 4+x4+ contract from someone.

RNH: A) argueble the only forward beating expectations. He's carried the second line most of the season, and seems far more involved in generating chances.

Lucic: B-) maybe I'm being slightly nice here, but how do you argue he's been any worse than Maroon this year? Especially when you consider usage and the fact that the 2nd lines had a revolving door right wingers.

Strome: C) 8 points in 20 games, not as bad as some reactions would have you think. He's been part of a fairly solid, if pedestrian, 3rd line, but the needle seems to be moving slowly in the right direction with him.

Caggiula/Puljujarvi/Slepyshev: C a bit like Maroon, they've been 3rd wheels and only as good as they're linemates. They'll put up points and look fine when in the top 6, but can't any drive offence in the bottom 6. None of them have looked bad, and if anything they're normally noticable out there. But if I'm not mistaken, every single one of their points are tied to either McDavid or RNH.

Kassian: C-) seriously how many randomly dumb penalties can one guy take? Playing the puck from the bench, playing with a broken stick, ect. He's gotten his chances this year, and his normally in the thick of things, so that's good, but he's just snake bit as hell. He's been better defensively to my eye, which had help balence his lack of points.

Letestu: F) again I don't like to blame a player when they're being played above their grade. But seriously the guy has been horrifically terribad this year. The PP, and PK are a mess and he's a centre reason for that, plus he's clearly getting into the holiday mood, as he's getting lit up like a Christmas tree at evens.

Pakarinen: C He's actually been a decent PK'er this year, and fairly reliable defensively and forechecking... And that's about it, unremarkable in every other facet of the game. I'm fine with him as the 13th forward.

Khaira: C+ up and down to say the least, but he seems to be moving in the right direction. Can he please take over the 4th line C from Letestu now?

Defence:

Larsson: B+) he's anchored the top pairing, and has really been the only reliable option all year, more offence would be nice, but he will seeming never see PP time

Nurse: B) some hiccups, but overall he's really broken out this year while facing top opposition. More offence would be nice/expected, especially as he ends up with the puck on his stick and pinching more often vs. Larsson.

Klefbom: F horribad defensively, and bringing nothing offensively.
For a guy that was so steady last year I don't understand how that aspect of his game has completely evaporated. He's looked far weaker this year, both in terms of strength and skating, one reason why I'm suspecting he's hurt. I'd be willing to bet the moment Sekera's back, Oskar will appear on the IR. Still that doesn't excuse what his results on the ice have been.

Russell: B-) Considering he's been tossed in the deep end without a lifejacket, I'm honestly surprised he hasn't drowned. He leaves a lot to be desired offensively, but at least his mis-cues don't don't end up as a 2 on 1 or breakaway against *cough* *Klefbom*... He's looked worse lately with Gryba, but everyone does. I actually thought him and Auvitu were decent together the few times they've played.

Benning: C- horrid start to the year, but he's been somewhat better recently. Considering he's been tossed into the top 4, it's hard to blame the kid for being tossed into a role he can't handle. Biggest thing for him is he needs to be sharper, he's normally not in bad position or making bad plays/reads, but his passing and shot are just ugly at the moment.

Gryba: F) good for a penalty against a game, shaky defensively due to his footspeed, and unable to contribute offensively, I don't understand whey TMac keeps playing him. He hasn't hurt the team too much (the +/- ain't bad, though he's part of a terrible PK), but I can't think a single positive aspect he's brought this year. Remember Fayne got exiled for less.

Auvitu: C-) arguably the worst first game I've ever seen from an Oiler, he's gotten better recently when he's played with Russell. Had his best game as an Oiler vs. Vegas, and has been in the PB since, nor has he seen a second of PP time this year... Yyyyyaaaaayyyyyyy again I am not understanding TMac's player usage...

Talbot: C) he hasn't done himself an favours, but damn this team makes a lot of dumb mistakes in front of him.

Brossoit: C-) 2 decent appearances, and 1 horrid one (and can't really judge on the Ottawa game when the team had given up). This team needs to play him to see what they've got, or go get a backup they trust. Enough with trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad