WC: Quarter Finals!

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
SUI was in the gold medal game twice in the last 10 years, whithout a doubt our most successful stretch ever, but thanks for your pity.

The finals against SWE are way more memorable and painful than some 2010 QF. So if we had to choose a matchup against either GER or SWE, the answer is easy.
Well, you distract from the topic. Since 2010, Switzerland has failed 5x in the QF. 2x to Germany. The only opponent who doesn't belong to the top nations. That's the specialty.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Well, you distract from the topic. Since 2010, Switzerland has failed 5x in the QF. 2x to Germany. The only opponent who doesn't belong to the top nations. That's the specialty.
Please read what I replied to. It's actually you distracting from the topic.

People make it look like GER was some horror matchup for SUI, which simply isn't true. That's the only point I was trying to make. There is no trauma / fear among the players and you won't hear anyone crying how we'd rather face FIN or SWE....

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Please read what I replied to. It's actually you distracting from the topic.

People make it look like GER was some horror matchup for SUI, which simply isn't true. That's the only point I was trying to make. There is no trauma / fear among the players and you won't hear anyone crying how we'd rather face FIN or SWE....
You don't respond to my texts. I made everything understandable!

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Jumping into this topic from sidelines a bit; geniune question - your implication is that GER is generally an uncomfortable opponent for Swiss?
Well, the last two games against the Swiss team(Very strong on Paper) QF 2021 and RR 2022 ended 3:2 OT and 3:4 OT from a German point of view.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
An 8 team top division would not make sense, because it would damage the popularity of the sport in countries like Germany, Slovakia and Switzerland, which would be playing in the 2nd tier constantly.

A 10 team tournament would make more sense, but in that case a single-group round robin would not be possible, which sort of destroys the emtire purpose.

Holding it every two years would also make sense, but it would only work with some kind of an agreement in place between NHL and IIHF, which is not going to happen.

There's a reason why we're stuck with the current format. Reducing it to 12 teams could work, but the net benefits would be pretty negligible. If Russia and Belarus ever become civilized countries again, we would not really have any 3rd tier nations in the top division anyway.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No. I'm a dual citizen of Finland/Canada. Moved to the GTA when I was a kid.

I was being funny.

This might be the only sporting competition in the world where you aren’t allowed to discuss the relative strengths of the rosters.

Everyone is aware of who France didn't have available on their road to the World Cup Final in Qatar.

Sometimes Canada has strong rosters and wins, sometimes they have strong rosters and lose.

This is a weak roster and expectations are lower than usual. That’s all.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
his might be the only sporting competition in the world where you aren’t allowed to discuss the relative strengths of the rosters.
Especially this particular tourney.lol

These 'it doesn't matter who's on the roster' arguments are fun to read.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Of course I browsed and saw it. Doesn't alleviate from the facts it's a lame tournament and some "fans" actually believe this is a world's best! 🤣
In fairness, and to be clear you came here to troll so this will be my only comment to you, I think only maybe 2 posters are arguing this is the world's. They're also getting mocked pretty readily on here by everyone else.

Most posters are well aware this is just a tournament. An awesome tournament by the way. Definitely not on the level of a FIFA World Cup. Zero argument. Whoever wins this won't even have bragging rights for being the world's best. When you're missing 90 out of the 100 best players in the world, bragging rights die quick. Except for about 2 posters who feel if their nation wins that it means Canada is on the decline and their nation is number 1! There are also Leaf fans that wanted Florida. Hockey boards are a funny thing.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
One semifinal is set - USA vs. Germany. Will probably get the early game (for sure if either of Latvia or Finland win, and even if not, Sweden vs. Canada would be considered a more attractive game for tournament organizers... and finally both teams played early today, so it's most logical anyways).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad