WC: Quarter Finals!

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Why? 1st vs 4th and Switzerland are better on paper too.
I have seen every game. Germany played pretty convincing in all games and were really unlucky to have lost all games vs. Sweden, USA and Finland. Each game by only one goal difference. Should have had 3-6 points there with normal puck luck.

Germany also beat all bottom 4 teams of their group relatively easily (admittedly Swiss did even better). Germans have the 4th best offense in the tournament overall.

Swiss are favourites for sure, just saying these odds seem a little crazy to me. Germans have some decent NHL players (Seider, Peterka, Sturm) playing for them.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Danish coach Ehlers said that Finland today was the best team he has ever faced. We can talk about game being meaningless, but it didn't look like that with the Finns. Denmark had nothing during the whole game and it's not a bad team.

I am very convinced with this team, we are heavy favourites against Canada but you can never underestimate them at this level.
Well of course you're the heavy favourites, you should be, the team is well drilled with far more preparation, led by one of the best coaches who has been in this position for years now and has the system well oiled with all these players, it's a home game and Finland at least has one bona fide game breaking star against the weakest Canadian roster seen in ages. You have got about every possible advantage going into this game you could hope for, it's a deck stacked in your favour.

Anything less then beating them is a pretty big failure and everyone knows it.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Well of course you're the heavy favourites, you should be, the team is well drilled with far more preparation, led by one of the best coaches who has been in this position for years now and has the system well oiled with all these players, it's a home game and Finland at least has one bona fide game breaking star against the weakest Canadian roster seen in ages.

It is fun to watch a master at work

• Haha
Reactions: Stubu and jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It is fun to watch a master at work
Is it not true however? I mean.................those realities can't be denied.

Think of all those things being the reverse for Canada.............who would you have as the favourite going into tomorrows game?

Canada of course, so would I.

It's far from a given they will win tomorrow though, 'll grant you that.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Is it not true however? I mean.................those realities can't be denied.

Think of all those things being the reverse for Canada.............who would you have as the favourite going into tomorrows game?

Canada of course, so would I.

It's far from a given they will win tomorrow though, 'll grant you that.
I think we both know that game is a 1 goal, OT type game... Going to be great!

Reactions: THE JAM and jj cale

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I have seen every game. Germany played pretty convincing in all games and were really unlucky to have lost all games vs. Sweden, USA and Finland. Each game by only one goal difference. Should have had 3-6 points there with normal puck luck.

Germany also beat all bottom 4 teams of their group relatively easily (admittedly Swiss did even better). Germans have the 4th best offense in the tournament overall.

Swiss are favourites for sure, just saying these odds seem a little crazy to me. Germans have some decent NHL players (Seider, Peterka, Sturm) playing for them.
I agree the Swiss are the favs but totally agree with you . This German team is no joke and is a nightmare quarter for anyone. I think this game is going to OT.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think we both know that game is a 1 goal, OT type game... Going to be great!
I do think we will come to play.;)

I agree the Swiss are the favs but totally agree with you . This German team is no joke and is a nightmare quarter for anyone. I think this game is going to OT.
I think the key for the Germans is whether they can activate Seider offensively , if they can get this game tied going into the third and he activates from the point on an opening at a crucial time.

That guy is so key for them.

Reactions: Czechboy

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Ideally USA wins and one of Germany or Latvia pull off an upset, but that being said, USA probably just loses to Czechia because that's how the Worlds typically go.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Ideally USA wins and one of Germany or Latvia pull off an upset, but that being said, USA probably just loses to Czechia because that's how the Worlds typically go.
The U.S gets through this next game they are serious trouble. An inspired uncle sam is a very difficult beast to deal with.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
It's a law of nature that the USA never does better than 3rd. 😄 Can they break these laws this time?

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
I am very convinced with this team, we are heavy favourites against Canada but you can never underestimate them at this level.
Yes we all know here in Canada that Finland is a superpower compare to Canada when it comes to hockey 🤭 Hehehe

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Well of course you're the heavy favourites, you should be, the team is well drilled with far more preparation, led by one of the best coaches who has been in this position for years now and has the system well oiled with all these players, it's a home game and Finland at least has one bona fide game breaking star against the weakest Canadian roster seen in ages. You have got about every possible advantage going into this game you could hope for, it's a deck stacked in your favour.

Anything less than winning by a 3+ goal margin should get the Finnish coach fired.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Anything less than winning by a 3+ goal margin should get the Finnish coach fired.
He definitely needs a convincing win or the whispers for change will start, it's the big show at home and they have everything going for them. Some may not remember now but before the tournament started and the underwhelming rosters of their competitors started coming in (especially of what was thought of as their toughest test in Canada) and Rantanen signed on everyone to a man here on this site anointed them as the clear cut favourite without question.

It's not just that they have to beat Canada handily.......................they've gotta beat everyone and bring the bacon home, silver won't cut it it all. All those seats bought by the big companies and the best they are gonna get out of it is...."well, we beat Canada anyway!!" ? Doubt that was the headline they envisioned on the front page of sanomat.

And to their credit it seems some of their fans still maintain this confidence and why not? look at that team and what's behind it.

who among us can possibly blame them?

Last edited:
  • Haha

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
I got to say that I have a lot of respect for the passion of Latvians, Swiss, Slovaks, Finns, Swedes ect.. for the game of hockey, as a Canadian it fills my heart with joy, it's a beautiful thing to see. You guys are true fans of the game. Thank you!

And for my predictions

USA/CZE : USA
SUI/GER : SUI

CAN/FIN : FIN
SWE/LAT: SWE

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
He definitely needs a convincing win or the whispers for change will start, it's the big show at home and they have everything going for them. Some may not remember now but before the tournament started and the underwhelming rosters of their competitors started coming in (especially of what was thought of as their toughest test in Canada) and Rantanen signed on everyone to a man here on this site anointed them as the clear cut favourite without question.

It's not just that they have to beat Canada handily.......................they've gotta beat everyone and bring the bacon home, silver won't cut it it all. All those seats bought by the big companies and the best they are gonna get out of it is...."well, we beat Canada anyway!!" ? Doubt that was the headline they envisioned on the front page of sanomat.

And to their credit it seems some of their fans still maintain this confidence and why not? look at that team and what's behind it.

who among us can possibly blame them?
You are right. And I revise my previous prediction. They need to beat Canada’s E team by 5 goals, otherwise Jalonen is gone. After all, they beat Denmark 7-1 and the Danish coach said Finland was the best team they had played against. What other evidence does anyone need that it is in the bag?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You are right. And I revise my previous prediction. They need to beat Canada’s E team by 5 goals, otherwise Jalonen is gone. After all, they beat Denmark 7-1 and the Danish coach said Finland was the best team they had played against. What other evidence does anyone need that it is in the bag?
home team, great talent, great system, great coach, month and then maybe some preparation before the tournament even started, all world Rantanen.......................and they are coming in hot!!

You put that all together and it's quite the winning stew,

Last edited:
  • Haha

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
The most nightmarish quarterfinal, the Germans. Except for all the other quarterfinals. The Germans are decent and they have performed well so far, but I always find it weird how they get bigged up and overestimated here. Sure, a good team which might spring a surprise and beat the Czechs if we played them, but if I could choose whether the Czechs play the US, Sweden, Finland or Germany in the QF, I would choose Germany any day of the week and twice on Sunday. How many QF games have they won in the past 50 years? Exactly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad