WC: Quarter Finals!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
how is sweden favs over latvia? latvia is litterly ranked 3rd on power rankings. anything else than a eazy win for latvia is a major suprise.

in the other games:

Czechia over USA, Jalonen is a good coach

Swiss over Germans....

And Finland
Not your day. Thank you for changing your avatar, tho.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
So what you're implying is we need to create one more division between our newly created top8 and Division 1A?

I'm not necessarily fan of the fact there are so called yo-yo teams (and blowouts) either, but if we want to go this direction, perhaps 12 team-elite (I've heard this idea being proposed, but not sure where) would be a tad better?

Based on this year's standings we'd then remove Austria, Hungary, Norway, Slovenia. Interestingly enough, Kazakhs and France would stay.

Edit: also have to remember that one (or two, depending on your opinion on Belarus hockey) of this year's teams wouldn't be here in Top Division if not for the war-related ban.
Even 12 team seems watered down. With none of the teams you mention having a realistic chance of winning.

And hockey in that new Division I would be far more competitive; with most of those teams having a chance at winning a championship.
Throw Russia back in the top group and Belarus in the second and it just increases the level of competition.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Even 12 team seems watered down. With none of the teams you mention having a realistic chance of winning.

And hockey in that new Division I would be far more competitive; with most of those teams having a chance at winning a championship.
Throw Russia back in the top group and Belarus in the second and it just increases the level of competition.
You do realize that half of the semi-finalists would be playing in 2nd tier?

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006

Every year at worlds or at the U20s, we hear someone saying that there are too many blowouts and we should reduce the number of teams yada yada yada.

Right now, I'm watching Ecuador beating Fiji 8-0 at the FIFA U20 tournament. Don't ask me why I'm watching it because there is no good reason. Blowouts happen. In every sport. If the answer to blowouts is fewer teams, then you're going to have a bunch of tournaments with four teams.

And now it's 9-0 Ecuador.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Every year at worlds or at the U20s, we hear someone saying that there are too many blowouts and we should reduce the number of teams yada yada yada.

Right now, I'm watching Ecuador beating Fiji 8-0 at the FIFA U20 tournament. Don't ask me why I'm watching it because there is no good reason. Blowouts happen. In every sport. If the answer to blowouts is fewer teams, then you're going to have a bunch of tournaments with four teams.

And now it's 9-0 Ecuador.
Wouldn't it make more sense for Fiji to play opponents they might actually beat?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad