Equipment: Quality of Hockey Skates

rhumbot

Mar 21, 2012
I am from central Europe and was planning to buy a new pair of skates since the frame
of my Bauer X7.0 broke. I had an interesting discussion with the sales manager of the distributor of Bauer equipment in central Europe. He claimed that the quality of Easton, Reebok and CCM skates dropped in the last few years and are far below the quality of Bauer skates.

Now almost every local shop seems to share that opinion. It might be because the prices for Bauer equipment in Europe allow a much higher profit for the shops than any other brand.

Would anyone confirm that there are any significant differences in quality that would be relevant for non professional hockey players?

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
I've worn ccm and bauers (only bauers once I got to be a better skater). They don't seem "better" to me. I would have gotten ccm instead because my current bauer is giving me soreness once I hit the 30 minute mark. Ccm skates have better thermal moulding properties

I honestly don't think there's any difference for an average player. Top end skates like the x7.0 will be similar to the other lines. Easton skates are the least popular.

I wouldn't have any trouble buying skates from reebok, ccm , bauer. Bauer is the "nike" of hockey and the most popular brand but its not always the best.. All the skates have similarly stiff boots. Worry about price and fit before brands.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
goon got it. Of course he would say that lol. CCM is right up there now with their RBZ launch imo.

AussieFlyersFan

Jun 9, 2012
Vancouver
I had an interesting discussion with the sales manager of the distributor of Bauer equipment in central Europe. He claimed that the quality of Easton, Reebok and CCM skates dropped in the last few years and are far below the quality of Bauer skates.

Sounds like the guy was giving you a bit of a sales pitch to buy his product. I've only skated in Bauer and CCM's, i prefer the CCM's for the fit but i wouldn't say they are of inferior quality to the Bauer's. I'm not an expert but i would imagine that the top of the line skates from each brand would be fairly similar in quality.

American in Paris

Feb 15, 2013
The last time I played in a tournament, we shared a large locker room with 5 other teams. Wondering if I might switch my skate brand someday, I took a little survey paying special attention to durability.

Bauers, CCMs and Grafs seem to hold up quite well. But the RBK skates were nearly all in a state of premature deterioration. 3 pairs had broken Achilles tendon supports and most had issues with the stitching. Their owners reported that while the pump system felt good in the beginning, it quickly lost the ability to hold pressure.

I have a generally favorable opinion towards RBK equipment but I'd stay away from their skates.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I haven't heard anything bad about any one company's skates. Maybe the Easton composite skates from several years ago.

If you take care of your gear (including NOT taking off or putting on the skates by the tendon guard), it should last a long time.

I've got 3.5 years on my Grafs...I had two eyelets repaired. That's it. Still about as stiff as new. Still as comfortable as new. Still on the original steel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad