Olympics: Qualifiers

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Our powerplay and Slafkovsky will be the difference maker against Germans. If our powerplay clicks and Slaf stays hot I think we win in a similar fashion to Latvia game
Johnson was saying that your 5 on 5 has been very good last night. Get your special teams hot at the right time and you will be good. I think it'll be a very good game!

Reactions: Antiillafire

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
eazy win canada
rest 3 games will be even, could go either way. yes latvia have not looked good so far, but if we compare player for player there is not much difference beetween denmark and latvia.

Reactions: Czechboy

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
China (Canada has suddenly Covid 19. A rogue who thinks something bad about it. ;) ;))
Czechia
Slovakia
Latvia

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
OT rules from IIHF:

In case of a tie at the conclusion of regulation time in a Qualification Playoff, Quarter-Final and Semi-Final game, there will be a 10-minute sudden-death overtime period played after a three-minute intermission.

• The teams will not change ends.
  • The overtime period shall be played with each team at the numerical strength of three (3) skaters and one (1) goalkeeper.
  • The team, which scores a goal during this period is the winner.
  • If no goal is scored during the overtime period, there will be Penalty-Shot Shootout (PSS) according to the Penalty-Shot Shootout Procedure.
  • In the Gold & Bronze Medal Games, 20-minute sudden-death overtime periods will be played until the winning goal is scored. Between each period, there will be a 15-minute intermission during which the ice will be resurfaced.
  • The overtime periods shall be played with each team at the numerical strength of three (3) skaters and one (1) goalkeeper.
  • The team which scores a goal in overtime is declared winner.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Congrats Slovakia!

Congrats Denmark!

Germany said small ice was a factor. Time to put everyone on small ice. I think khl already is. Creates more skills and should help create.more NHL players. I'd switch extraliga to small ice yesterday of I could.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Congrats Slovakia!

Congrats Denmark!

Germany said small ice was a factor. Time to put everyone on small ice. I think khl already is. Creates more skills and should help create.more NHL players. I'd switch extraliga to small ice yesterday of I could.

Completely agree with your sentiment.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Seeing that the NHL would then keep those players away from participating in international tournaments while simultaneously lowering the quality of European leagues, why exactly would this be desirable?

Reactions: Luolis

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
If china‘s goalie is out for the game they can‘t win this anymore IMO, because the backup is significantly worse than him.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Seeing that the NHL would then keep those players away from participating in international tournaments while simultaneously lowering the quality of European leagues, why exactly would this be desirable?
I'm not sure if I understand the question to be honest?

If you changed the Extraliga to NHL ice then I don't think we'd have an extra 20 Czechs in the NHL.
In either case, it is the best league in the world with the best players and the more players your nation has in it, the better for your nation.
Having the same size field for a sport is ideal.
More skill and speed in smaller rink.
Easier to change over as you create seats (and money).
KHL already did it. So top 2 leagues are small rinks.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I'm not sure if I understand the question to be honest?

If you changed the Extraliga to NHL ice then I don't think we'd have an extra 20 Czechs in the NHL.
In either case, it is the best league in the world with the best players and the more players your nation has in it, the better for your nation.
Having the same size field for a sport is ideal.
More skill and speed in smaller rink.
Easier to change over as you create seats (and money).
KHL already did it. So top 2 leagues are small rinks.
You mentioned more NHL players as some kind of a pro for European countries. Countries barely get a chance to benefit from their NHL players while players based in European leagues will always be available. Consequently, this means that having more NHL players is not a positive but a negative.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
You mentioned more NHL players as some kind of a pro for European countries. Countries barely get a chance to benefit from their NHL players while players based in European leagues will always be available. Consequently, this means that having more NHL players is not a positive but a negative.
I'm positive that Czechs were better at every level when we had 80 guys in the NHL instead of the current 30.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I'm positive that Czechs were better at every level when we had 80 guys in the NHL instead of the current 30.
Clearly, but that has little relevance for this. If you compare NHL player nationalities to participation numbers, you'll notice that European countries are underrepresented. This may indeed partly stem from the fact that European rinks are typically larger than those in North America, just as you suggested. Now, if European countries largely switched to small rinks, the number of European NHL players might subsequently increase as they would better adapt to the league. Does this mean that the state of European hockey would somehow improve? No, it would simply mean that it adapts better to NA style of play while erasing the European tradition of playing on larger ice surfaces.

The number of NHL players of each nation is generally indicative of a national program's strength, but it makes no sense to try to artificially lift up the number by making such concessions as it doesn't boost the program in any way and international tournaments can just as well be played on large ice surfaces (as they often are) and most importantly, the players barely ever get the chance to represent their countries internationally once they cross the Atlantic. If you are a North American NHL fan, then sure, it makes sense to support such if you ignore the long-term consequences but for Europeans to support the dilution of their national leagues and degradation of their national teams is something akin to the Stockholm syndrome.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Clearly, but that has little relevance for this. If you compare NHL player nationalities to participation numbers, you'll notice that European countries are underrepresented. This may indeed partly stem from the fact that European rinks are typically larger than those in North America, just as you suggested. Now, if European countries largely switched to small rinks, the number of European NHL players might subsequently increase as they would better adapt to the league. Does this mean that the state of European hockey would somehow improve? No, it would simply mean that it adapts better to NA style of play while erasing the European tradition of playing on larger ice surfaces.

The number of NHL players of each nation is generally indicative of a national program's strength, but it makes no sense to try to artificially lift up the number by making such concessions as it doesn't boost the program in any way and international tournaments can just as well be played on large ice surfaces (as they often are) and most importantly, the players barely ever get the chance to represent their countries internationally once they cross the Atlantic. If you are a North American NHL fan, then sure, it makes sense to support such if you ignore the long-term consequences but for Europeans to support the dilution of their national leagues and degradation of their national teams is something akin to the Stockholm syndrome.
So you'd prefer NHL and khl on one rink and Sweden and Finland on a different one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad