Olympics: Qualifiers

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Slafkovsky has been great to see. Slovakia outshot all their opponents and are solid at 5 on 5. Rising.

Germany had a tough go but I think they are rising too.

Same for Swiss. They'll be an absolute nightmare.

I still see 2 tiers.

Tier 1 is Finland and Russia

Tier 2 is everyone but China and everyone here could medal.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
USA– Germany/Slovakia

Sweden–Canada/China

Suomi–Czechia/Switzerland

ROC–Denmark/Latvia

Reactions: Czechboy

member 305909

I expect Latvia to win. They are also more likely to put up a better match against Russia than Denmark would.

Vinther

Feb 28, 2016
a bit fun that both group A and B managed to get all 4 teams into the same bracket. Looking forward to some close matches
edit: with a reseed before the Semi's this could change

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Canada
Czech
Slovakia
Denmark

QF:
------
SVK-USA
CAN-SWE
FIN
-CZE (toughest match of this round but Finland wins with resting advantage)
ROC-DEN (1 goal game. Denmark already did it to ROC once this tournament and will do it again)

Semis:
------
USA-SWE
FIN-ROC (no clue who wins)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Thank you to a Finn poster.. here is the overall bracket:

upload_2022-2-13_11-28-39.png

2 best IMO have to meet before Gold (Russia and Finns)... I like Canada coming out of the top half personally. I think the loss will do more good then harm. It would be interesting if, despite no NHL, that we had an all North American semi and an all Euro Semi. Sweden has been exceptional as well so not counting them out at all.

EDIT: I am wrong! Semi's are reseeded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valdemar

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I expect Latvia to win. They are also more likely to put up a better match against Russia than Denmark would.

Considering it was 1-0 until Denmark pulled the goalie against Russia in the group stage and Denmark won against Czechia and Switzerland, do you care to elaborate on that take or is this just some biased opinion?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Considering it was 1-0 until Denmark pulled the goalie against Russia in the group stage and Denmark won against Czechia and Switzerland, do you care to elaborate on that take or is this just some biased opinion?
Definitely not speaking for VLK... but a lot of posters on here watch the World Jr's and NHL. So when Canada trounces Denmark 10-0 at a World Juniors in a sold out arena in Alberta they assume that Denmark sucks.

What they are missing is that the Juniors is 1 or 2 (sometimes 3) age groups against each other. Eg. 2002/2003 borns playing one another. 2 year window (exceptions of course). A senior event is a generation so a 15 year group of players. from 18 to 30's. You just need 2 good ones a year to be competive as only 20 guys are on the team. Or a bumper crop.

It's misguided as the pool of teenagers playing in Canada (for instance) is CONSIDERABLY bigger than the pool of teenagers playing in Denmark. But, if your only international knowledge is a teenager tournament at Xmas. You get this a lot.

Reactions: hn777

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

View attachment 506920

2 best IMO have to meet before Gold (Russia and Finns)... I like Canada coming out of the top half personally. I think the loss will do more good then harm. It would be interesting if, despite no NHL, that we had an all North American semi and an all Euro Semi. Sweden has been exceptional as well so not counting them out at all.

Should note on the graphic that it isn’t a hard bracket. Teams are reseeded based on preliminary points after the quarters for the semi finals.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Also, how do you like your changes against Latvia?

Only prediction I'm comfortable with is Canada beating China. Other 3 I can't decide and think coin flips. I WANT Slovaks and Czechs to win but that's just pure emotion I am cheering for Canada as well as I like their story in this tourney and think they can make it to the finals in that top half. I have no preference for Latvia/Denmark but think it'll be a 1 goal game and a heartbreak for someone.

Reactions: hn777 and Valdemar

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Should note on the graphic that it isn’t a hard bracket. Teams are reseeded based on preliminary points after the quarters for the semi finals.
I'm not saying you are wrong... that would be interesting if true. The quarters are set though... which you said:

upload_2022-2-13_12-33-8.png

Any links or anything about the reseed for Semi's?

Dofs

Jun 25, 2021
Definitely not speaking for VLK... but a lot of posters on here watch the World Jr's and NHL. So when Canada trounces Denmark 10-0 at a World Juniors in a sold out arena in Alberta they assume that Denmark sucks.

What they are missing is that the Juniors is 1 or 2 (sometimes 3) age groups against each other. Eg. 2002/2003 borns playing one another. 2 year window (exceptions of course). A senior event is a generation so a 15 year group of players. from 18 to 30's. You just need 2 good ones a year to be competive as only 20 guys are on the team. Or a bumper crop.

It's misguided as the pool of teenagers playing in Canada (for instance) is CONSIDERABLY bigger than the pool of teenagers playing in Denmark. But, if your only international knowledge is a teenager tournament at Xmas. You get this a lot.

I don't really think you need to involve NHL and World Juniors here. Latvia has been historically a more stable team in the elite and currently has a bit deeper roster in the Olympics too so thinking that Latvia would win is not that outrageous of an opinion, despite the fact that Denmark as of now does indeed seem to look better.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Also, how do you like your changes against Latvia?

Only prediction I'm comfortable with is Canada beating China. Other 3 I can't decide and think coin flips. I WANT Slovaks and Czechs to win but that's just pure emotion I am cheering for Canada as well as I like their story in this tourney and think they can make it to the finals in that top half. I have no preference for Latvia/Denmark but think it'll be a 1 goal game and a heartbreak for someone.

I believe the Denmark - Latvia game to be a nail-biter, and anyone can win. There is certainly no clear favorite there, it would probably resemble your chances against the Swiss.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't really think you need to involve NHL and World Juniors here. Latvia has been historically a more stable team in the elite and currently has a bit deeper roster in the Olympics too so thinking that Latvia would win is not that outrageous of an opinion, despite the fact that Denmark as of now does indeed seem to look better.
I think you misinterpreted my message.

I didn't say a word about the Latvia/Denmark game .. I have written (above) that I think it's a coinflip and will be very close repeatedly. I actually can't even pick a winner between the 2. Good luck!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I believe the Denmark - Latvia game to be a nail-biter, and anyone can win. There is certainly no clear favorite there, it would probably resemble your chances against the Swiss.
Yup, 3 shootouts coming up! Slovakia/Germany too!

I honestly can't pick a winner in those matchups.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland

View attachment 506920

EDIT: I am wrong! Semi's are reseeded.

If USA, Finland and ROC will advance to semis, then it is Finland vs ROC.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
If USA, Finland and ROC will advance to semis, then it is Finland vs ROC.
True.. but if US loses, it changes everything.. lot of games left before then.

My lens is Switzerland right now but I would feel bad for Russians and FInn's if they won their groups and had to meet in Semi's.

Don't worry, I'll do a quarter final thread on Tuesday after the dust has settled!

member 305909

This stage shouldn't even exist as they should have eliminated four teams in the group-stage and gone straight to the quarter-finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad