Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Players to Watch:

nick-robertson-toronto-maple-leafs-1-scaled.jpg

TOR - Nick Robertson

Nick Robertson has been quite the story since being drafted in the second round, about 13 months ago. Despite falling in the draft, largely due to his size, the young player went on to have one of the best seasons in the entire CHL, with 55 goals and 86 points in just 46 games for the OHL’s Peterborough Petes. Upon the re-start of NHL training camps, he became the talk to the city, and it quickly became apparent that Robertson was inside the top 12 forwards on the team. In the lone exhibition game against Montreal, he played just under 11 minutes and had an assist. The power of the Maple Leafs team in the top six goes without saying, however if Nick Robertson can help bolster the Leafs bottom 6 productivity, and perhaps make the second powerplay unit a bit more dangerous, it could help cement the Leafs forward depth as one primed for a deep run.

Seth-Jones-full-CBJ-featured.jpg

CBJ - Seth Jones

He’s easily one of the best defensemen in the league, and while the rest of the league shut down in March, Seth Jones, other than a single exhibition game, hasn’t played since February 8th. Columbus has strength on defense, with David Savard, Zach Werenski, Murray and Gavrikov surrounding Jones. But still, coming off an injury that was originally believed to have ended his season, on top of everything else that is going on, can be quite the challenge. If Seth Jones is in traditional Seth Jones form, that’s a huge boost to Columbus’ chances to advance to the playoffs. If Seth Jones lags behind a bit, it could open the door for this Maple Leafs offense to overwhelm whichever of the two young goalies Columbus decides to start.

Rosters:

The Content:

Season Series Recap

The Hockey Guy Series Preview

Sportsnet Series Preview

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I predict 5-3 Leafs. Mikheyev gets 2 goals(1 en)
Atkinson is going to score.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
It all boils down to what Anderssen we're getting this game. The man is the hockey equivalent of Jekyll & Hide.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
One tune-up exhibition game after nearly 5 months off isn’t enough for any team to get back into a rhythm, this game is could easily go either way.

Careful now, pointing out the obvious like that just means you’re making excuses.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I don't even really think CBJ winning would be a big upset. That team defense is money.

Korpisalo over Elvis is surprising I have to say.

IMO, I think the Leafs are very underrated on HF. People just see first round exits and think they were meh but praise teams who beat much worse teams and lose to teams in Boston's tier in later rounds.

So with all of that said, I think the Leafs will win this one and the series. Just my opinion. Leafs are a much better team than they are being portrayed in here. Having a rough regular season be damned.

Reactions: Saint Blue

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
IMO, I think the Leafs are very underrated on HF. People just see first round exits and think they were meh but praise teams who beat much worse teams and lose to teams in Boston's tier in later rounds.

So with all of that said, I think the Leafs will win this one and the series. Just my opinion. Leafs are a much better team than they are being portrayed in here. Having a rough regular season be damned.

That's fair. The Leaf offense has potential to take them places no question. Their goaltending and defense is less robust however and that's my primary concern for them going forward.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
That's fair. The Leaf offense has potential to take them places no question. Their goaltending and defense is less robust however and that's my primary concern for them going forward.

My belief is that defense is a product of system and attitude not skillset. That doesn't mean that the Leafs will become a good defensive team under Keefe, maybe they just can't find the headspace to think defense first. But the Leafs have moved out many players who went on to play in good defensive teams and brought in many players from those teams who struggled. I'm hoping Keefe putting his system in place will see massive improvements but you are right, especially compared to the Jackets it's not a good matchup for the Leafs.

Goaltending is IMO pretty decent. Campbell is a good backup and Freddy as you already know from his time on the Ducks, is a top end goalie when he is on but when he is off my god is he trash.

Reactions: Ducksforcup

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I don't disagree w/r/t portrayals of the Leafs. However, I'd also point out that the Jackets also get significantly underrated - as can be demonstrated by the fact that we were a common basement pick at the start of the season, and have been a regular basement or "dark horse bubble" pick for several years running despite being on a playoff streak. Quite a few folks still seem to reflexively think "oh, yeah, the Jackets; they might be good someday" when making assessments.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
My belief is that defense is a product of system and attitude not skillset. That doesn't mean that the Leafs will become a good defensive team under Keefe, maybe they just can't find the headspace to think defense first. But the Leafs have moved out many players who went on to play in good defensive teams and brought in many players from those teams who struggled. I'm hoping Keefe putting his system in place will see massive improvements but you are right, especially compared to the Jackets it's not a good matchup for the Leafs.

Goaltending is IMO pretty decent. Campbell is a good backup and Freddy as you already know from his time on the Ducks, is a top end goalie when he is on but when he is off my god is he trash.

Totally agree Andersen when he is on is a quality netminder. Keefe seemingly has improved the Leafs, so I suspect you are right that they may even be underrated a bit. Not a bad place to be.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
Leafs defense will be healthy for the first time all year, I'm hoping for them to make a big statement tonight. Having Muzzin and holl eat big tough minutes allows Reilly to play his game. Hoping for the leafs to show the hockey world that they have finally arrived, but expecting a few heart attacks still lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad