QLED vs UHD

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Been mulling over a new TV for quite some time. It's crazy to me how when my then-girlfriend (now fiancee) and I bought TV's for our first place together, A Vizio 50" HD TV cost around 600 bucks - without the smart features! :eek:

Anyways, I heard about the 'Quantom-Dot' tech in 2013/2014. From what I can tell, the colors look more brighter and vibrant. Now, I keep seeing UHD popping up. Is UHD the same as 4K - or better?

Sep 19, 2008
1x

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
QLEDs will look better in the in store demos, but for SDR content it pretty much looks the same as non QLEDs. Important to keep that in mind.

The important thing is the backlight. The newer quantum dot displays have no local dimming, even the Samsung Q60T, which had local dimming in its previous year models, doesnt have it in this year's models. Important to keep that in mind.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
As with any purchase, what are your goals for the TV? What requirements do you have?

Quantum dot technology (Samsung) is rather similar in performance to nano cell technology (LG), although each company takes a different approach to achieve the panel performance.

Happy to make some reqs based on cost, but definitely check out Reviews and Ratings who spends a ton of time compiling different TV data and gives each a score as objectively as possible. I would find something in your price point, and buy the one that they suggest is the best for said category. They know what's up.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
QLED is a display technology (basically, how the pixels are displayed). UHD is a resolution (basically, how many pixels there are) of 4K or above. Manufacturers and vendors currently use the terms UHD and 4K interchangeably. There's also no "vs" here. A TV could use QLED as its display technology and have a resolution of 4K/UHD or one or the other or neither.

Last edited:

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
I would go OLED as the ideal, but QLED on a budget. I bought a new tv last fall and did a lot of reading. From what I remember: One thing to consider is that QLED puts out a lot more light, so if you’re watching more tv in the day that may be worth it. But in a dark room in the evening, the LG OLED I got is remarkable. OLEDS also have a fundamentally different and faster refresh, making them more capable of displaying high motion video (video games, fast sports).

My girlfriend upgraded to a regular LED 4K Samsung shortly before, and even that looked incredible compared to the old 1080 sets. Honestly, I think the industry does a good job of marketing. I think most of us would really have to study the screen to tell the difference between a lot of the different TVs. If you’re on an older set, any upgrade is gonna feel awesome.

I’d try and hold out until November when the sales really kick up, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad