Prospect Info: Q & A with Radel Fazleev

member 30781

Russians don't get a fair shake, but Radel Fazleev, the 6th round draft pick of the Philadelphia Flyers is not like most Russians. He's determined, level-headed, and willing to do whatever it takes to succeed in hockey. He's a coach's dream.

I spoke to him for 15 minutes yesterday about his offseason, his expectations for next year, and his style of play. You'll get an in-depth look into the mind, the player, and the person that is Radel Fazleev.

Hope you enjoy it and share it.

http://thehockeywriters.com/q-a-with-radel-fazleev/

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
I think Lindblom, Fazleev and Aube-Kubel could all become steals. They all seem like their ceilings are all high if they can put everything together

member 30781

I think Lindblom, Fazleev and Aube-Kubel could all become steals. They all seem like their ceilings are all high if they can put everything together

Don't think Fazleev has a super high ceiling. But he will be a consistent point producer. Very versatile forward, which is always nice to have in the system.

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
Don't think Fazleev has a super high ceiling. But he will be a consistent point producer. Very versatile forward, which is always nice to have in the system.

Not sure about that. He was a ppg player when healthy and was drafted high in both the KHL and OHL drafts. If he wasn't injured, he probably wouldve been a 3rd round pick

member 30781

Not sure about that. He was a ppg player when healthy and was drafted high in both the KHL and OHL drafts. If he wasn't injured, he probably wouldve been a 3rd round pick

Points don't tell the full story. You have to see the way he plays to understand he will be utilized more as a two-way forward than a point producer. Maybe it's just me, but watching him at development camp and rookie camp, he's a smart player that I think will score a consistent 45-50 points every year, which isn't a bad thing at all. The other things he brings to the team is more valuable than just points.

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
Points don't tell the full story. You have to see the way he plays to understand he will be utilized more as a two-way forward than a point producer. Maybe it's just me, but watching him at development camp and rookie camp, he's a smart player that I think will score a consistent 45-50 points every year, which isn't a bad thing at all. The other things he brings to the team is more valuable than just points.

I understand. I didn't mean to imply that he was going to be a 1st line player. More meant his ceiling could be 2nd/3rd line LW. Especially since our prospect pool is so thin there. I definitely think his ceiling for assists is one of the highest in our system, maybe not so much goal scoring

member 30781

I understand. I didn't mean to imply that he was going to be a 1st line player. More meant his ceiling could be 2nd/3rd line LW. Especially since our prospect pool is so thin there. I definitely think his ceiling for assists is one of the highest in our system, maybe not so much goal scoring

Oh I gotcha. He says himself in the interview that assisting and finding open teammates is one of his best attributes. I'll be watching as many of his WHL games as I can this season as he can be one of the steals you were talking about in the later rounds.

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
Oh I gotcha. He says himself in the interview that assisting and finding open teammates is one of his best attributes. I'll be watching as many of his WHL games as I can this season as he can be one of the steals you were talking about in the later rounds.

Thanks for the article though, you did a great job. Will definitely be following this year's draft class throughout the year, as this one and 2012 could become some of our best in a long time

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Uhh sign me up. That is very optimistic.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Interesting background...wonder what branch of Tatar he is? His surname sounds Turkic

Last edited:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Maybe he can turn into a player similar as Rusty Fedotenko (I'm aware he is not Russian, but still...), solid two way player who can contribute in more ways than just goal scoring. Probably closer to 30 than 40 points a season once he turns pro.

Last edited:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

not sure if he is going to get the ice time to get 45-50 points. at least right away. if he turns out to be anywhere near you suggest it would be the steal of the draft. I am cautiously optimistic at least one of those late round picks turn into something decent

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I wonder where Fazleev fits in though. He's going to have to move to the wing because it's all but a certainty the top three centers in the next couple of years are going to be Giroux, Couturier and Laughton. If Fazleev can make the adjustment to wing, then I can see a top nine role for him.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Nothing is ever a certainty. He's a few years away. If he's good enough they will find room for him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Fazleev does have some experience playing left wing so it shouldn't be too foreign to him but as others have stated it's too far out to worry about that now even under a best case scenario hypothetical though.

Evergreen

I haven't seen this kid play, but I love his attitude. Great interview. I really enjoy reading your articles.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Great write-up! Very informative.

I would have slapped Randy Miller as soon as he opened his mouth to ask a question if I were you. :nod:

member 30781

As was mentioned previously, Fazleev plays both Center and Left Wing. He's actually most dangerous when he breaks in on the wing because of how he slows the game down and dishes passes to his teammates breaking in. He did it in the WHL and for Team Russia. Very interested to see how he does against NHL competition during training camp (and hopefully a handful of preseason games.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I haven't seen this kid play, but I love his attitude. Great interview. I really enjoy reading your articles.

You don't need reasons to slap Randy Miller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad