Q&A with Bryz

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
Hey fellas, just saw this one on one with Bryz on my twitter feed, and thought it was worth having it's own thread over here. Don't know if it's been discussed before or whatever, go easy on the bashing if so ;)
http://www.courierpostonline.com/ar...4280058/Q-Ilya-Bryzgalov-locker-clean-out-day

Btw, damn does this guy seem exasperated with the media, and rightfully so. He might be average, overrated, whatever you want to call him, but i firmly believe that all that goes on in the papers-TV has a negative effect on his game.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
My Favorite Quote...

"Was the media coverage unfair?
It’s not like fair or unfair. We already had the conversation. It’s just ridiculous. Just ridiculous. Sometimes you’re reading and it’s like, ‘Oh my God, who is this lunatic?’ What are they writing about. It was nothing close to the truth or close to related to hockey. You read this and you’re like, ‘Oh my God, I’ve got to deal with these people every day.’"

EasyMac

Jul 8, 2004
My Favorite Quote...

"Was the media coverage unfair?
It’s not like fair or unfair. We already had the conversation. It’s just ridiculous. Just ridiculous. Sometimes you’re reading and it’s like, ‘Oh my God, who is this lunatic?’ What are they writing about. It was nothing close to the truth or close to related to hockey. You read this and you’re like, ‘Oh my God, I’ve got to deal with these people every day.’"

I enjoy the second half of his answer to that question more:
"Before you’re writing something you’ve got to read what you’re writing. I’m two years here. I never saw it like good article with everything, like, ‘Flyers lose the game because this, this, this, this, this. They need to improve their game like this, this, this or this.’ I never. That’s what called professionalism. It’s like, ‘OK, this reporter knows hockey. He knows what he talking about.’"

He is correct, the Philly reporters can't seem to ever analyze the game and write articles about that, but only look for what they can turn into the "hot story"

Phunhog

Jul 18, 2007
I don't care if the media doesn't like him, but do care that his teammates don't. He's a cancer, buyout please.

Totally Radivojevic

Nov 6, 2007
Strange, doesn't hang out with teammates, can't save pucks and has the mindset of "it's just a game" while suggesting he's getting criticized too hard. What's not to like.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
The guy said on the record and face to face whatever everyone on this board wants to be said to these writers and we still blast him? :shakehead

And before I am getting ripped, my post is not about quality of his game, neither it is about his cap hit.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
The guy said on the record and face to face whatever everyone on this board wants to be said to these writers and we still blast him? :shakehead

And before I am getting ripped, my post is not about quality of his game, neither it is about his cap hit.

I like Bryz's personality. He'd be awesome to chat with at a bar over a beer.

However, I don't want him on my hockey team. He's an alienating and attention-scraping presence.

On top of that, he's not all that great in net. People blaming the defense across HFBoards are kidding themselves. Bryzgalov has played like ****. In fact, he'll be the first person to tell you that.

Completely agree with everything about the media. We've known for a while how unprofessional the Philadelphia media can be, how invasive in can be, and how reactionary it can be.

Still, I think we should part ways with Bryz. No need to ask him about it 50 million times. No need to drive the stake home.

I understand that the Philadelphia media exists to entertain. It's pop culture. It sells. It's absurd and overbearing. We just kind of have to deal with it. It shouldn't be that way, but it's designed that way by its very nature.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Kudos for ripping the media.

Wouldn't have needed to be said if he stopped a few more pucks.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Kudos for ripping the media.

Wouldn't have needed to be said if he stopped a few more pucks.

Not necessarily true. He was singled out by them, because of his responses. No other under performer (Leighton, Briere or others) was as targeted as Bryz has been.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Does anyone remember when Panotch asked Leighton a question during the Stanley Cup that basically insinuated that Leighton's lucky to be on our team and Pronger started going at Panotch? :laugh:

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Goalies for ya
doesn't hang out with teammates,
So? He has a family. Chillin w/ the boys after a game at the bar is overrated, and certainly doesn't make you a great goalie/teammate
can't save pucks
Stopped 90% this season
and has the mindset of "it's just a game"
It is! I love Bryz's mindset. There's much more to life than a sport. While the mindset may not mesh well with his paycheck, some people need to take a step back, relax, and realize what he has.
while suggesting he's getting criticized too hard. What's not to like.

Fans who go 0/4 with their criticisms :naughty:

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Goalies for ya

So? He has a family. Chillin w/ the boys after a game at the bar is overrated, and certainly doesn't make you a great goalie/teammate

Stopped 90% this season

It is! I love Bryz's mindset. There's much more to life than a sport. While the mindset may not mesh well with his paycheck, some people need to take a step back, relax, and realize what he has.

Fans who go 0/4 with their criticisms :naughty:

:handclap:
I wonder if the same people that criticize Bryz's mindset, answer the question "How is work?" with "UH, it's just a job."

It's so much easier to peg someone else.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad