News Article: Q&A: Jets owner Mark Chipman

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
there was never a rant against parking..only a rant against surface lots.

OK, but if you develop those lots you need to more than replace the parking spots. You need to replace them plus provide for the increased demand your development creates.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
OK, but if you develop those lots you need to more than replace the parking spots. You need to replace them plus provide for the increased demand your development creates.

Exactly. And in the case of residential development, sure they might put in underground parking for their tenants, but they aren't going to create lots accessible by the general public. So, at some point, do you replace some surface lots with a big, beautiful high-rise parkade? Cause that looks so much better? Or maybe we should all give in to the social engineering at work to push us into mass transit and active transportation because the city is making driving a vehicle here more and more miserable? f*** that. You'll pry my luxury SUV out of my still pleasantly warm thanks to my heated steering wheel, dead hands. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Exactly. And in the case of residential development, sure they might put in underground parking for their tenants, but they aren't going to create lots accessible by the general public. So, at some point, do you replace some surface lots with a big, beautiful high-rise parkade? Cause that looks so much better? Or maybe we should all give in to the social engineering at work to push us into mass transit and active transportation because the city is making driving a vehicle here more and more miserable? **** that. You'll pry my luxury SUV out of my still pleasantly warm thanks to my heated steering wheel, dead hands. :laugh:

:laugh: They will put in additional parking if it is profitable. Unfortunately that means parking will continue to be too expensive for me.

We are wayyyy of topic here - unless we can relate this to Chipman and the new downtown arena. It will probably be built on top of some of the surface parking lots. :laugh: At any rate, I think it is time to get back to something hockey related.:)

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
People that come downtown from far-flung suburbs like Whyte Ridge, Island Lakes and Bridgewater Forest and spend the entire duration of their stay inside an enclosed facility, get back in their cars and drive home are not contributing nearly as much to downtown revitilization as the thousands of individuals who have moved there in the past few decades. These people live, work, shop and play in downtown Winnipeg 24/7 for the most part.

Well, this is great for the niche demographic of young, single, professional people that might be attracted to it. How many people would want to raise kids in the downtown area? You think having more people makes it safer? I used to feel that having a crowd of people around me would deter crime, but not any more. These useless punks don't care. They know nobody will intervene and don't care if they get caught because they just get a slap on the wrist from our pathetic justice system then they're back at it. Being downtown often has me wishing for open carry laws. OK, a bit of hyperbole there but not much.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Well, this is great for the niche demographic of young, single, professional people that might be attracted to it. How many people would want to raise kids in the downtown area? You think having more people makes it safer? I used to feel that having a crowd of people around me would deter crime, but not any more. These useless punks don't care. They know nobody will intervene and don't care if they get caught because they just get a slap on the wrist from our pathetic justice system then they're back at it. Being downtown often has me wishing for open carry laws. OK, a bit of hyperbole there but not much.
As we get further and further off topic...
I lived in downtown high-rise for seven years, and I've lived in Whyte Ridge (coincidentally) ever since I started to raise a family while commuting downtown for work. I make a lot more money now than I ever did as a young, single bar-hound living downtown, and my support of the economy has also risen significantly - in all areas of the city.

By the way, I always felt safe downtown... but perhaps I was just lucky.

Reactions: Ducky10

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Most if not all new buildings constructed on former surface lots have a comparable number of parking spots built within them to compensate for the perceived loss of spots. The statement above mine "other than hockey games, where i have no choice, I avoid downtown like the plague. Everything I need I can get in the burbs with unlimited free parking" is why it is of utmost importance to have thousands of new residents in downtown.

People that come downtown from far-flung suburbs like Whyte Ridge, Island Lakes and Bridgewater Forest and spend the entire duration of their stay inside an enclosed facility, get back in their cars and drive home are not contributing nearly as much to downtown revitilization as the thousands of individuals who have moved there in the past few decades. These people live, work, shop and play in downtown Winnipeg 24/7 for the most part.

The positive momentum in downtown population growth began long before the Jets ever came back to Winnipeg...started in the early 2000s actually. Thousands of new apartment and condo units in converted historic Exchange buildings, new mid-rises like those along the Assiniboine River, Waterfront Drive, new tallest building at 300 Main currently under construction; expansion of University of Winnipeg including new residences; expansion of Red River College into downtown and soon to come - the exciting new project at the Forks which will see the elimination of a huge ugly service lot to be replaced by a truly one-of-a-kind project featuring dozens of new buildings and hundreds of new units for...yep, you guessed it - people who live and shop downtown.

To accommodate this increased demand for downtown living, surface lots will be sacrificed making way for new and exiting developments. Don't worry though. As I stated earlier these lost parking spots will likely be compensated for in the new buildings. In the meantime, we should all rejoice in the positive growth of downtown Winnipeg. A more heavily populated downtown will be infinitely livelier, safer and welcoming.:nod:

Wonder what the feasability is of building a large above+underground parkade downtown, also as a major park+ride hub. Have some spots for reserved purchase, which others being for general public.

I think Winnipeg could use more underground parking options instead of surface lots.

New large projects downtown could include underground parking, surface retail and high rise business/residential.

Reactions: Saintb

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Wonder what the feasability is of building a large above+underground parkade downtown, also as a major park+ride hub. Have some spots for reserved purchase, which others being for general public.

I think Winnipeg could use more underground parking options instead of surface lots.

New large projects downtown could include underground parking, surface retail and high rise business/residential.
One of the problems is Winnipeg has horrible public transportation options. Hit and miss regular city transit and that is it. A few years back I was in KC for a conference and wanted to go to a Royals game. I learned there was designated buses for the game and was able to get on one at the prescribed time in front of the hotel for $5. The same bus then was parked outside after the game and retraced the route dropping everyone back at their original stop. It all seemed so easy and practical.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This thread is funny. Why do people expect the convenience of suburban parking in the downtown of a city? Building large surface parking lots is literally the antithesis of building a thriving downtown. Downtown's are supposed be a densely populated area where people can live and work close by, eating up that precious real estate on a parking lot that is going to be utilized only a small amount of time is going against the entire point.

Parking is a problem in the downtown of every major city, not sure why people expect Winnipeg to be an exception to that. I live in the downtown of a major metropolitan and i hear the same complaints everyday, owning a car here is actually cost prohibitive and that's how it should be. Funny enough there's actually a movement here by a small minority to tear down existing parking to make room for apartments and high rises.

Downtowns are not optimized for cars those are just the facts and people need to accept that. The solution here is obvious- park and rides for suburban dwellers, the solution is certainly not to build bigger surface lots across downtown for convenient parking where your parking is essentially being subsidized by downtown dwellers in way of higher rents for residential and commercial buildings. Why should a couple that lives in downtown subsidize parking for my dad who lives in the suburbs in Winnipeg South and drives his SUV to downtown a few times a month?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
This thread is funny. Why do people expect the convenience of suburban parking in the downtown of a city? Building large surface parking lots is literally the antithesis of building a thriving downtown. Downtown's are supposed be a densely populated area where people can live and work close by, eating up that precious real estate on a parking lot that is going to be utilized only a small amount of time is going against the entire point.

Parking is a problem in the downtown of every major city, not sure why people expect Winnipeg to be an exception to that. I live in the downtown of a major metropolitan and i hear the same complaints everyday, owning a car here is actually cost prohibitive and that's how it should be. Funny enough there's actually a movement here by a small minority to tear down existing parking to make room for apartments and high rises.

Downtowns are not optimized for cars those are just the facts and people need to accept that. The solution here is obvious- park and rides for suburban dwellers, the solution is certainly not to build bigger surface lots across downtown for convenient parking where your parking is essentially being subsidized by downtown dwellers in way of higher rents for residential and commercial buildings. Why should a couple that lives in downtown subsidize parking for my dad who lives in the suburbs in Winnipeg South and drives his SUV to downtown a few times a month?

A like is not enough.

Amen.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ and Saidin

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Agreed that Winnipeg really lacks in good public transportation options. It is hit and miss transit tom, or shuttles from a bar/restaurant if you go eat and drink there first. No coordinated park and rides or game only public transportation.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

Somebody gets it. If i could give you 100000000 likes i would .

Reactions: YWGinYYZ and Saidin

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Vacant parking lots are a blight in downtown Montreal too. What is happening is property owners wont sell unless paid an obscenely large amount of money, overvalued of course

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Vacant parking lots are a blight in downtown Montreal too. What is happening is property owners wont sell unless paid an obscenely large amount of money, overvalued of course
yes. that is why the old idea of a land value tax instead of property tax is gaining renewed support in many places around the world. it is an interesting concept to policy wonks like me..

Reactions: ps241

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
One of the problems is Winnipeg has horrible public transportation options. Hit and miss regular city transit and that is it. A few years back I was in KC for a conference and wanted to go to a Royals game. I learned there was designated buses for the game and was able to get on one at the prescribed time in front of the hotel for $5. The same bus then was parked outside after the game and retraced the route dropping everyone back at their original stop. It all seemed so easy and practical.

As someone who lives in the KC area, I'll take issue with this. Unless things have changed horrendously for the worse in the last 18 years or so, public transportation is the gold standard in WPG compared to KC. Maybe there is some convenience to it re: royals or chiefs, but I could probably count on one hand how many people use public transit otherwise, especially for work commutes.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
As someone who lives in the KC area, I'll take issue with this. Unless things have changed horrendously for the worse in the last 18 years or so, public transportation is the gold standard in WPG compared to KC. Maybe there is some convenience to it re: royals or chiefs, but I could probably count on one hand how many people use public transit otherwise, especially for work commutes.

If transit is heavily used here, I think it has more to do with people's life situations pretty much forcing them into it rather than them being a shining beacon of efficiency that lures drivers away from their vehicles. I only take the bus to hockey games because I hate dealing with downtown traffic and parking. For that, I have the joy of dealing with buses that are late or don't show up at all, breakdowns from poor maintenance, disgusting, sickly riders who do nothing to contain the spread of their plagues, and fear of being assaulted by some lowlife or crazy person. If that's a gold standard, I can't imagine how bad KC must be. Maybe we need a 4 men from Yorkshire discussion of our transit systems. "Oh, I remember taking the bus and the driver would run us over at the bus stop, make us sit in a pool of someone's vomit where we would be robbed and stabbed to death, and arrive two hours late at our destinations. And we were damn glad to have it". :laugh:

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
If transit is heavily used here, I think it has more to do with people's life situations pretty much forcing them into it rather than them being a shining beacon of efficiency that lures drivers away from their vehicles. I only take the bus to hockey games because I hate dealing with downtown traffic and parking. For that, I have the joy of dealing with buses that are late or don't show up at all, breakdowns from poor maintenance, disgusting, sickly riders who do nothing to contain the spread of their plagues, and fear of being assaulted by some lowlife or crazy person. If that's a gold standard, I can't imagine how bad KC must be. Maybe we need a 4 men from Yorkshire discussion of our transit systems. "Oh, I remember taking the bus and the driver would run us over at the bus stop, make us sit in a pool of someone's vomit where we would be robbed and stabbed to death, and arrive two hours late at our destinations. And we were damn glad to have it". :laugh:
:scared:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I wasn't talking about a work commute. I was talking about a better system to use public transit to get people to and from professional sporting events.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

This 100%

Well said

potroaster

Jul 1, 2012
I park across the Marlborough hotel. It's a block away, still fear for my life sometimes. Just saying. Keep on plugging how downtown Wpg is better. I don't see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad