Purely hypothetical....If the team put Subban on waivers....

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Looks like it....
I've got to get back up to speed with other team rosters, but I'd guess Tampa in that case. If Neimi is still in Montreal, there too.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm guessing Subban is a better option than a few team's current backup and worth a pickup off the wire. It's definitely not the same situation as Dansk and Lagace where they're an unproven commodity at the highest level, but hell, we took Malcolm off of waivers with (I think) 2 NHL games worth of experience last season, two ugly games too. He's got some talent, and you know NHL execs love playing copycat and love sticking with guys that get drafted early.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I've got to get back up to speed with other team rosters, but I'd guess Tampa in that case. If Neimi is still in Montreal, there too.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm guessing Subban is a better option than a few team's current backup and worth a pickup off the wire. It's definitely not the same situation as Dansk and Lagace where they're an unproven commodity at the highest level, but hell, we took Malcolm off of waivers with (I think) 2 NHL games worth of experience last season, two ugly games too. He's got some talent, and you know NHL execs love playing copycat and love sticking with guys that get drafted early.
I would doubt that Montreal would claim him with the problems that were rumored they had with his brother before they traded PK.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I would doubt that Montreal would claim him with the problems that were rumored they had with his brother before they traded PK.
Good point, I was just thinking of the obvious candidates based on backup quality versus that actual logistics/politics of the claim.

Hope everything's going well in Vegas!

Reactions: sabresfan65

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Good point, I was just thinking of the obvious candidates based on backup quality versus that actual logistics/politics of the claim.

Hope everything's going well in Vegas!
Hell, for that matter, if the Habs wanted Malcolm they probably could have gotten him in the Pacioretty trade.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Toronto, Montreal, Tampa, Calgary, NYI, Ottawa, Washington and heck even Boston would just to get him back.

Bergevin is already facing the pitchforks and burning torches, I think he kind of likes the attention.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Hell, for that matter, if the Habs wanted Malcolm they probably could have gotten him in the Pacioretty trade.

I don't know. The consensus was that Montreal did better than most insiders thought they would in the Pacioretty trade considering how poorly they handled him for the time leading up to it.

That extra value may have been in exchange for taking Tatar's cap hit but Subban certainly doesn't carry negative value and they probably would have had to downgrade another asset in order to tack him on. And why bother if they are going to be terrible anyway and have Price as a starter? That's a very different situation than if he is free for a waiver claim.

But of course Subban would be picked up by some team if he was put on waivers.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Yes. I believe his value has grown a bit since Vegas scooped him. Whatever they're puttin in the goalie water out here in Vegas is workin. :naughty:

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
They would never aquire Malcom after what happened with P.K, that would re open healing wounds and stir up all kinds of craziness.. the French media in Montreal is toxic, the English media is on point, very fair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad