Post-Game Talk: Punished Drouin benchwarms as the Lightning win.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Let's just give it some time Belial, there might be some more facts that come out.
Being late for a meeting is not the end of the world for me. Shit happens FFS.

This is not the point though.

He's playing some solid hockey lately but people are so fed up with him that they just can't stand his face/name/whatever...

And it makes me sad, to be honest... All this rage/hate is just ridiculous.

I hope you are having a good day! :laugh:

Reactions: carouselofgoalies

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
So he didn't miss one damn meeting in 6 years and after missing one by a couple of minutes he's suddenly the worst professional in humanity!?

The level of pure hate some demonstrate on this forum is scary...
Does MSL seem like a guy who would do this after JD was late once? Serious question.
Others who used to be paid by the team have already said they are not surprised JD got himself in trouble because he has had a career of being late ( Gervais, and Waite )

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006

He's playing some solid hockey lately but people are so fed up with him that they just can't stand his face/name/whatever...

He is performing in a complete no pressure situation and trying to earn a contract next year. Of course he is performing. He should not be praised for finally doing his job and in this case doing it to serve his own interests.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He is performing in a complete no pressure situation and trying to earn a contract next year. Of course he is performing. He should not be praised for finally doing his job and in this case doing it to serve his own interests.
His one goal performance this year, has really caught the eyes of rival GM's. Yes, we all know his assists are something that no other player could ever do with all that PP TOI
I can see where at least 24 GM's will be chasing down Alan Walsh to chat with him.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He's been pacing for around 50 points his entire damn tenure here! This is not a novelty all of a sudden!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Does MSL seem like a guy who would do this after JD was late once? Serious question.
Others who used to be paid by the team have already said they are not surprised JD got himself in trouble because he has had a career of being late ( Gervais, and Waite )
Don’t mean to quibble, but I believe Gervais and Waite did not say that he arrived late but that he had a habit of showing up at the last minute. When he’d arrive, his teammates were already dressed.

Basically, that old tenet of showing up at least 15-20 minutes before a scheduled time as is standard businesslike practice and also followed in the hockey world, just based on Drouin’s teammates having their hockey gear on by the time Drouin arrived.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Don’t mean to quibble, but I believe Gervais and Waite did not say that he arrived late but that he had a habit of showing up at the last minute. When he’d arrive, his teammates were already dressed.

Basically, that old tenet of showing up at least 15-20 minutes before a scheduled time as is standard businesslike practice and also followed in the hockey world, just based on Drouin’s teammates having their hockey gear on by the time Drouin arrived.
Most jobs you have to be dressed when your shift starts. If you show up on time but you are not dressed and ready to work, that's considered being late.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

9 years in, and Drouin had still not learned to be a pro eh...........we are not surprised. Being a little early is what makes a good employee.............being barely on time, makes a employee bound to be late at times......which employee/player would we all like to coach or manage?

In all seriousness, does MSL seem like a guy who would lose his $hit the first time a player was a little late?
Do you think the whiny entitled little star has had other issues? I have a feeling MSL has to be a pro about this, but is tired of it.....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Most jobs you have to be dressed when your shift starts. If you show up on time but you are not dressed and ready to work, that's considered being late.
Drouin’s teammates clearly followed that ethos and ethic so it was on him to break his habit. It just looks like Marty was at the end of his rope and wanted to send a clear message.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

I think there's more than being late at play here, we don't know all of the details that led up to the benching but I am willing to bet that it's more than we have seen and heard today.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Drouin’s teammates clearly followed that ethos and ethic so it was on him to break his habit. It just looks like Marty was at the end of his rope and wanted to send a clear message.
St-Louis did well to hold him accountable considering that the team is full of rookies and younger players. It shows that no one is above the rules no matter if you are a rookie or veteran.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I think there's more than being late at play here, we don't know all of the details that led up to the benching but I am willing to bet that it's more than we have seen and heard today.
Yeah, might even be a gigamental 4D chess move where Drou is an accomplice!

Culture building and Drou is the one sacrificed because he's the one guy that would generate the most resonance here and all over the league.

Now all the players in the league know that MSL is not dicking around and that even local players don't get the benefit of the doubt! :naughty:

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Sounds like not many people here at to attempt a serious business meeting

1.You don't arrive late
2.Those meetings are always planned days before.
3. You are an employee , you follow the rules or consequences will happen. If not it sends a terrible message to everyone concerned.
4. The golden rule , You arrive 20 minutes before the meeting start and not at the last second. That's being respectful and professional.

Optimal excuse : You don't arrive late when all of ur colleagues are in the same hotel as you.
What ever you say mr.perfect

Reactions: Samhockey3

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Yes it certainly helps in the regard of being able to more freely obtain the tools for betterment. Which as a society we should as a whole make more accessible to ALL those in need. It's unfortunate that one who has these issues can feel lost with nowhere to turn.

The fact that many rich and seemingly well adjusted individuals that have fallen so deeply into their own abysses and sought suicide as a only way out is telling. Mental health is no joke.
🙏

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Yes it certainly helps in the regard of being able to more freely obtain the tools for betterment. Which as a society we should as a whole make more accessible to ALL those in need. It's unfortunate that one who has these issues can feel lost with nowhere to turn.

The fact that many rich and seemingly well adjusted individuals that have fallen so deeply into their own abysses and sought suicide as a only way out is telling. Mental health is no joke.
Man up mate! Stop your drama...

• Haha
Reactions: HabbyGuy

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
St-Louis did well to hold him accountable considering that the team is full of rookies and younger players. It shows that no one is above the rules no matter if you are a rookie or veteran.
As no one should be.

I’m more of a believer in incremental punishment, like a warning assorted by a fine for a first time offence (the money going to charity or toward a team activity at the end of the season) and if the same issue occurs again, resort to more consequential measures (line demotion, diminished TOI, benched, scratched, etc.).

That doesn’t mean that Marty didn’t already warn him. We just don’t know.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah, might even be a gigamental 4D chess move where Drou is an accomplice!

Culture building and Drou is the one sacrificed because he's the one guy that would generate the most resonance here and all over the league.

Now all the players in the league know that MSL is not dicking around and that even local players don't get the benefit of the doubt! :naughty:
I got accused by another poster of generating what-if scenarios, can't wait till he reads this.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
A couple of thoughts:

- Marty has been going to bat for his players every single day, he never throws anyone under the bus win or lose. So the fact that he made this so public with 13 games left in the season, I suspect this wasn’t Drouin’s first infraction and he ran out of chances.

- Being late to a team meeting on the road is pretty inexcusable. He didn’t have to drive from home. So he was likely late to a team meeting at a conference room in the hotel they were staying in. Not a great look.

Anyways, as a person, I still wish him the best of luck.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
A couple of thoughts:

- Marty has been going to bat for his players every single day, he never throws anyone under the bus win or lose. So the fact that he made this so public with 13 games left in the season, I suspect this wasn’t Drouin’s first infraction and he ran out of chances.

- Being late to a team meeting on the road is pretty inexcusable. He didn’t have to drive from home. So he was likely late to a team meeting at a conference room in the hotel they were staying in. Not a great look.

Anyways, as a person, I still wish him the best of luck.
You don’t shorten your bench on an already injury riddled team just because a player was 2 minutes late to a meeting. I feel like that much should be obvious. People can say St. Louis is sending a message to the players, etc. I can guarantee you there’s more to this story then we have heard.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Have a hard time believing that anyone would be sat/benched immediately for a first time infraction. That’s just not how the world works. MSL doesn’t strike me as being unreasonable or draconian. Obviously there’s a lot more that we do not know, than what we are aware of, but all signs would point to it being an accumulation of events that finally caused the coach to say enough.

Furthermore, when the player in question has disobeyed and drew the ire of his first team, while also leaving his current team for off ice issues, and with no other players on the Habs being punished for similar infractions, you don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out who is the problem.

I wish him all the best, and hope he gets some help, but I’m glad that his time in Montreal is coming to an end. He was a colossal disappointment on the ice, and he needs to get some serious help in a non fishbowl environment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad