Jun 20, 2009
pulling the goalie at 30 sec mark with puck in possession is optimal actually
-according to me

make me gm and I will meddle with the coaching staff and make it happen

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Another thing I wonder about is that 3-on-3 OT, teams will usually play offensive players, typically 2 forwards and 1 defenseman. Sometimes even 3 forwards.

If you're on home ice, can you pull the goalie after the opposing team puts their players on the ice, but before putting your players? forcing a really bad matchup, with non-penalty killers to have to kill a 4-on-3??? I would seriously consider if it there was less than a minute left in OT and I was really desperate for points.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
so if you have a delayed penalty in ot and you pull the goalie for an extra attacker then accidentally score on yourself, does that cost you the loser point?

Whatever the answer, the NHL will call it the wrong way and then release a memo admitting their wrong ruling the next day.

And hasn’t Larianov been having success with this in the KHL or somethin?

Edit- Federov, I see it now.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
so if you have a delayed penalty in ot and you pull the goalie for an extra attacker then accidentally score on yourself, does that cost you the loser point?

No, the rule specifies that you do not lose the point in a delayed penalty situation.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Not sure if anyone’s mentioned if, but don’t you lose the loser point if you pull the goalie in OT?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Came across this. Wasn't sure if a thread had been made

Nice bump, that's awesome. Was there any additional context or reason for pulling the goalie or was CSKA just trying to be agressive and go for the win, like the original presmise of the thread was about?

Similar to an NFL team going for 2 pt conversion after touchdown instead of kicking the extra point to tie late in game...

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The reason I ask this is because Sergi Fedorov likes to do this in the KHL and it's worked twice.

If it works in the KHL and it has when are we going to see somebody try it in OT?

Who has the guts to try going 4 on 3 in OT?

Would you want to see it?

Reactions: aresknights

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I've seen it happen, I think Calgary Vancouver? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

When one of those teams faced elimination from playoff contention (forgot which team), they pulled the goalie in OT.

One thing I didn't know was that pulling a goalie in OT forfeited the loser point.

Reactions: adsfan

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I've seen it happen, I think Calgary Vancouver? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

When one of those teams faced elimination from playoff contention (forgot which team), they pulled the goalie in OT.

One thing I didn't know was that pulling a goalie in OT forfeited the loser point.

that is a dumb rule, forfeiting the loser point.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

It does? I didn't know that

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The reason I ask this is because Sergi Fedorov likes to do this in the KHL and it's worked twice.

If it works in the KHL and it has when are we going to see somebody try it in OT?

Who has the guts to try going 4 on 3 in OT?

Would you want to see it?
In mother Russia goalie pulls you......

But seriously though, the odds of it working are low, and I can only see it happening in situations where teams absolutely need two points.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I really wanted Buffalo to do it against the Caps a few nights ago. 0:24 seconds left in OT, Orlov got a penalty. Instead of pulling the goalie for a 5-3, Buf fumbled a 4-3 and didnt generate anything close the meaningful

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I've seen it happen twice before, and both times it backfired.

Vancouver did it in Game #81 of the 2000 season against the Oilers because they needed a win to stay alive in the playoff race. Edmonton scored in the final minute of OT to clinch a playoff spot and knock Vancouver out.

Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks Box Score — April 7, 2000 | Hockey-Reference.com

The other time was a CBJ-LAK game late in the 2003 season. Same scenario as above, the Kings needed a win to stay alive. Columbus scored in the final minute of overtime.

Columbus Blue Jackets at Los Angeles Kings Box Score — March 25, 2003 | Hockey-Reference.com

ftr, if a team loses in OT because they pulled their goalie, they forfeit the loser point, and it counts as a regulation loss.

Edit: I think there was a team within the last few years that pulled their goalie in OT because a shootout win didn't help them for tiebreaking purposes. I want to say it happened against the Avs and was in Colorado. The game ended in a shootout.

Last edited:

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
I was at a Ducks/Avs game a looong time ago. Roy was pulled since Avs needed the point in OT. Blake passed to Hejduk and Avs scored. If I recall correctly, the goal happened right after Roy made it to the bench.

Found the link to the game, was from 2003. The article doesn't seem to mention Roy being pulled in the last seconds of OT.

Avalanche vs. Ducks - Game Recap - April 4, 2003 - ESPN

This was the 2nd last game of the season. In the last game, Hejduk hit 50 goals, Forsberg secured the Art Ross, and Avs won their 9th division title.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
that is a dumb rule, forfeiting the loser point.

I thought many of you hated the loser point. Isn't that why there's been a cry to migrate towards a 3 point system?

In theory... Face of winning team brings puck behind net as goalie skates off. Then attacks on a 4 on 3. I could see it being effective or jarring when you've never faced it before.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I thought many of you hated the loser point. Isn't that why there's been a cry to migrate towards a 3 point system?

In theory... Face of winning team brings puck behind net as goalie skates off. Then attacks on a 4 on 3. I could see it being effective or jarring when you've never faced it before.

I wouldn't mind no OT in regular season. Just go by wins for standings. Ties as tiebreakers.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I wouldn't mind no OT in regular season. Just go by wins for standings. Ties as tiebreakers.

Obviously many fans would hate it... Curiously, I wonder how badly rival teams and some coaches would hate this too. Like if you'd have certain coaches go all out nothing in all regulation matches by pulling the goalie rather than tie.

I think it would be a new type of awe if a team ensures multiple minutes of onslaught against a team with the goalie pulled, only for both teams to tie.

Reactions: saffronleaf

josra33

Aug 11, 2008

Vancouver did it in Game #81 of the 2000 season against the Oilers because they needed a win to stay alive in the playoff race. Edmonton scored in the final minute of OT to clinch a playoff spot and knock Vancouver out.

Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks Box Score — April 7, 2000 | Hockey-Reference.com

The other time was a CBJ-LAK game late in the 2003 season. Same scenario as above, the Kings needed a win to stay alive. Columbus scored in the final minute of overtime.

Columbus Blue Jackets at Los Angeles Kings Box Score — March 25, 2003 | Hockey-Reference.com

ftr, if a team loses in OT because they pulled their goalie, they forfeit the loser point, and it counts as a regulation loss.

Edit: I think there was a team within the last few years that pulled the goalie OT because a shootout win didn't help them for tiebreaking purposes. I want to say it happened against the Avs and was in Colorado. The game ended in a shootout.
It happened to Colorado. They needed to win in OT to preserve their division win streak. They ended up winning in OT against Anaheim. I was at that game.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Edit: I think there was a team within the last few years that pulled the goalie OT because a shootout win didn't help them for tiebreaking purposes. I want to say it happened against the Avs and was in Colorado. The game ended in a shootout.
The Avs did it in 01 at home. I cant remember the reason why because they were already close to clinching the Presidents trophy at that point I think.

Last edited:

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Lol anyone from Edmonton remember minor hockey week when it would go down to 1 on 1 and teams would pull their goalies?

While I don’t remember pulling the goalie in it, I recall being part of a 1v1 overtime in minor hockey week that was the most intense thing I ever experienced on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad