Prospect Info: Pulkkinen vs. Frk

Aug 6, 2012
These guys are some of the most intriguing prospects in our pool. Although they were drafted in different years and play in completely different leagues, they have very similar skill sets.

Okay skating, right-handed wingers with two of the best shots in the system.

Who do you think will be the better player?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Frk, have a feeling Pulkkinen is going to be dynamite in the KHL at some point.

As a side note Sproul probably has the best shot in the system. He combines something these two don't in accuracy and from a greater distance.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I think this will be an interesting story line to watch next season for the Griffins, my money is on Frk being the better of the two (career wise, not necessarily next year)

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think this will be an interesting story line to watch next season for the Griffins, my money is on Frk being the better of the two.

Pulkkinen is better in his defensive game which will likely play in how Blashill deploys these two at least initially. He has an advantage as an older pro, but I do expect Frk to pass him at some point as they both develop.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Frk, have a feeling Pulkkinen is going to be dynamite in the KHL at some point.

As a side note Sproul probably has the best shot in the system. He combines something these two don't in accuracy and from a greater distance.

How is his release? Can he get it through or does it just get blocked often like it seems to happen this year for our D.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I fully expect Pulkkinen to have to bigger AHL impact next season if both plays, but I'd probably put Frk sligthly ahead in a ranking. He also is a little bigger.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How is his release? Can he get it through or does it just get blocked often like it seems to happen this year for our D.

What I like about him is even though everyone knows about Sproul's slapper, he does have a fast and heavy wrist shot. He gets both through a lot and on target. Than again with the Slap shot he gets a lot of flamingos at the lower level. It is just simply that hard for the OHL level, kids seem to actually fear challenging it, that will go away of course at the pro level. But as he matures we are seriously talking 100 mph gas and in play not in just skills competition. That is notable too, he unloads about one good God shot a game in the run of play a la Weber or Chara. Obviously that is high praise, but really haven't seen a guy shoot the puck like him in a while.

For that matter Pulkkinen and Frk do have a couple of the heaviest shots we have had in the forward ranks in some time. They just struggle with accuracy and release when I have seen them. Frk has quicker release and he is hungry for goals in a way similar to Tatar, he loves them and needs them.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Frk. Pulu is more boom/bust. I could see Frk being third liner if he improved his D. He seems to have some agitating abilities. I like Pulu but I put my money on Frk.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
They are very similar but Frk is bigger, stronger with more time to develop his skating. So Frk.

And that's a tough choice since I'm a big Jokerit fan and have been watching Pulkkinen since he was like 15.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
By the way even though I have never been a big Pulkkinen guy, I really hope he does make it in the NHL with the Wings or another team if that is his dream. The KHL wasn't meant as a slap but my opinion that if he doesn't make it stateside I expect those of us that follow the variety of hockey leagues to see him put up impressive numbers in the KHL should he not pan out here. I think he will be a force in that league regardless and make a very nice living as a hockey player.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I thought the poll would be closer, because the difference between the players isn't substantial. I went Frk.

I'd be willing to bet once our overseas board members get home from work (it's still mid-afternoon over there), the poll will tilt back towards Teemu a bit. :D

I voted for Frk because he's bigger, he's stronger, and even though his skating could be as suspect as Teemu's, he doesn't have to be faster than everyone because he seems like he can hold his own physically. Plus Frk is trending up whilst Teemu is backsliding in the same league he's been playing in for several years.

Neither one will be an impact NHLer if they can't improve their skating though.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I've just never been overly impressed with Pulkkinen. He had a good season where he was challenging Teemu Selanne's point totals in the Finnish league but since then he hasn't been all that impressive. I think he'll be an Almqvist-like guy who could be a decent AHL'er but will struggle at the NHL level.

With Frk I have no idea but he still has potential IMO. Plus he seems like he can be a bit of a jerk on the ice and has the size where you can get away with playing a chippy game. Some guys just don't have the size/disposition to back up their type of play*. :cough: Nik Kronwall :cough:

* Frk as a 19 year old already weighs 205 lbs, 15 more than Kronner.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Just great. Sproul's good mobility/skating makes shooting lanes open. Just like Lidström did, moved sideways on the blueline. Lane opens and screen is there - BANG! We just need a good left-handed feeder for his one-timers.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I've just never been overly impressed with Pulkkinen. He had a good season where he was challenging Teemu Selanne's point totals in the Finnish league but since then he hasn't been all that impressive. I think he'll be an Almqvist-like guy who could be a decent AHL'er but will struggle at the NHL level.

With Frk I have no idea but he still has potential IMO. Plus he seems like he can be a bit of a jerk on the ice and has the size where you can get away with playing a chippy game. Some guys just don't have the size/disposition to back up their type of play*. :cough: Nik Kronwall :cough:

* Frk as a 19 year old already weighs 205 lbs, 15 more than Kronner.

not discounting what you are saying, although I do think Pulkkinen "could" be a great NHL'er but I don't see how you can already deduce that Almqvist will struggle at the NHL level, when he hasn't yet had the chance to play there. not saying he wont but until we see him try we can't say he will. he has surprised quite a few of us who didn't think he would be as good as he is in the AHL, but he is doing an excellent job as an AHL rookie. he will never be a top 2 Defenseman but he "could" be a solid #4 offensive D

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Can't see Pulkkinen panning out. Similar size and skating to Granlund (the highly touted Wild rookie) with much less talent, and he's had a very rough introduction to the big show.

What Granlund is doing, does not say anything about Pulkkinen. They are totally different kind of players. Better just keep this Frk vs. Pulkkinen comparison alive.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
What Granlund is doing, does not say anything about Pulkkinen. They are totally different kind of players. Better just keep this Frk vs. Pulkkinen comparison alive.

It's not like Granlund and Pulkkinen were much different talent wise few years ago. Pulkkinen's injuries slowed his development somewhat into the player he's now and can be.

If you pair him up with a decent playmaking center and big body grinder/scorer, you're bound to see production from him, no matter the league or level.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
They are very similar but Frk is bigger, stronger with more time to develop his skating. So Frk.
i have seen very little of these 2, but that seems right to me. when i saw frk at WJC, he was gritty and dirty and liked to shoot. his skating was kind of ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad