Value of: Puljujarvi to PIT

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
As much as we can certainly blame the Oilers for development it combined with JP lack of hockey IQ and not being able to see the ice all that well at NHL speed.

He's probably not interested in going back to Edmonton and is willing to wait for a trade or free agency. GM's on other teams would be willing to buy low on him because he's frankly not a great prospect or even really a prospect anymore as he has a track record of failure in the NHL and wasn't good in the AHL.

I think his stance on never playing for the Oilers again might be softening now that they are realizing nobody around the league really wants him all that much.

If he wants to stay in Europe until he’s 27 that’s his perogative but it seems like a pretty foolish career decision. Forfeiting millions of dollars and throwing away many of your prime playing years.

Reactions: Smartguy

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
It is almost a good thing the Oilers played him so many NHL games. If he has played more AHL games and less NHL games he might have been a prime candidate for Group 6 Free Agency.

One thing he could do to get his way is to sign an offer-sheet with low compensation, something like 4yearsX2M to the team of his choice. Many teams would do this. There would only be a third round draft pick going back to Edmonton and given his draft status, a lot of teams might consider this good value. If Edmonton matches it takes him straight to Unrestricted Free Agency which they won't like. Also, teams can buy him out cheaply because he's so young so the risk is pretty minimal. Puljujarvi might not like the idea of Edmonton matching though especially at the low salary.

Another option is to get an offer-sheet around 1.3M and hope Edmonton matches. If they do and he ends up scoring 25 goals next to McDavid (Bet on yourself!), it takes him directly to salary arbitration where he can hammer the Oilers. The downside of this is, again, playing for the Oilers.

Third option is actively search for a team who thinks he's worth a second. Edmonton is pretty cap strapped (not bad, but not great), and try and get a 4X4 offersheet. Same principles apply that he can be bought out cheaply so teams might not consider it a big risk. It will probably be a little hard to do this though. A lot of the teams who might do things are picking pretty high in the draft so they probably aren't keen on giving the oilers a top-45 pick for him.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Can we just talk about the fact that it’s actually one of those hoodie jerseys with the laces and not even a real jersey? He can’t be that committed to Pittsburgh if he’s only spending ~$70 vs ~$200. Just saying.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If McDavid/Draisaitl couldn’t turn the kid into a serviceable NHL player then no one can. I don’t touch him if I’m another GM. He’ll be an afterthought in a few years and a lifer in the Euro leagues.

Last edited:

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
JJ's contract sucks, no doubt, but the dude has played solid this year. And I say that as somebody who has had nothing but bad things to say about JJ since the signing.

No he hasnt

A strong case could be made for a good majority of penguins players struggling when he is on the ice.
He sucks, like a lot.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
It is almost a good thing the Oilers played him so many NHL games. If he has played more AHL games and less NHL games he might have been a prime candidate for Group 6 Free Agency.

One thing he could do to get his way is to sign an offer-sheet with low compensation, something like 4yearsX2M to the team of his choice. Many teams would do this. There would only be a third round draft pick going back to Edmonton and given his draft status, a lot of teams might consider this good value. If Edmonton matches it takes him straight to Unrestricted Free Agency which they won't like. Also, teams can buy him out cheaply because he's so young so the risk is pretty minimal. Puljujarvi might not like the idea of Edmonton matching though especially at the low salary.

Another option is to get an offer-sheet around 1.3M and hope Edmonton matches. If they do and he ends up scoring 25 goals next to McDavid (Bet on yourself!), it takes him directly to salary arbitration where he can hammer the Oilers. The downside of this is, again, playing for the Oilers.

Third option is actively search for a team who thinks he's worth a second. Edmonton is pretty cap strapped (not bad, but not great), and try and get a 4X4 offersheet. Same principles apply that he can be bought out cheaply so teams might not consider it a big risk. It will probably be a little hard to do this though. A lot of the teams who might do things are picking pretty high in the draft so they probably aren't keen on giving the oilers a top-45 pick for him.

Four years at $2 Million per? Edmonton matches.

I don't know who would offer him $1.3 Million or why he would sign, but again Edmonton matches.

If the Holland only wanted a 2nd Puljujarvi would have been traded already. I think his ask was a 1st which is why there were no takers.

I don't see anyone offering Puljujarvi a four year $4 Million dollar offer sheet.

Reactions: McVespa99

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Some creative thinking but I don’t know how likely any of these options are.

options 1) Oilers would love this 4X2M would be unreal even if it does take him straight to UFA at the end. Chances are they end up with a decent player on a good contract for a few years, worse case they can bury him, buy him out or loan him back to Finland and still control his rights for almost as long as they would in the current situation.

Option 2) Again the Oilers probably like this one because it gives them a chance to get him back in the fold, under competent coaching and management, on a team that has better depth now and looks to be going in the right direction. If he does go out and pot 20-25 goals then I’d imagine interest around the league picks up. Worst case he still sucks and they’re in the same spot they are right now and he can head back to Europe.

Option 3) I don’t think is realistic but this one wouldn’t be ideal for the Oilers they don’t get the opportunity to bring him back in and raise his value and they only get a 2nd. But again I don’t think any team is paying Jesse Puljujarvi 4M a year on any term in this climate PLUS giving up a 2nd. They’d just try and workout a deal with the Oilers if they were that interested.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
No he hasnt

A strong case could be made for a good majority of penguins players struggling when he is on the ice.
He sucks, like a lot.
He has been far from the worst penguin d man this year.. he has played top pair mins with letang when called upon. He has been OK...

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

The Oilers easily match 4x $2M. And I don't see much if any risk. Let's say that he completely busts they buy him out and carry a $300k cap penalty for 6 years. If he has any success what so ever then they either get him cheap for 4 years or they trade him. If he becomes a top 6 winger this is an absolute bargain.

A one year $1.3M deal is probably what the Oilers would like. If he scores 25 goals next to McDavid the chances are that his issues with the tam evaporate and the Oilers just sign him as they would any other player.

If there was a team willing to give him a $4x4M offer sheet he would already be traded.

This is not a contract hold out about money. And the reality is that the Oilers hold virtually all the cards. Holland has played this out very well so far and the ice between the parties appears to be melting.

Last edited:

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Some creative thinking but I don’t know how likely any of these options are.

options 1) Oilers would love this 4X2M would be unreal even if it does take him straight to UFA at the end. Chances are they end up with a decent player on a good contract for a few years, worse case they can bury him, buy him out or loan him back to Finland and still control his rights for almost as long as they would in the current situation.

Option 2) Again the Oilers probably like this one because it gives them a chance to get him back in the fold, under competent coaching and management, on a team that has better depth now and looks to be going in the right direction. If he does go out and pot 20-25 goals then I’d imagine interest around the league picks up. Worst case he still sucks and they’re in the same spot they are right now and he can head back to Europe.

Option 3) I don’t think is realistic but this one wouldn’t be ideal for the Oilers they don’t get the opportunity to bring him back in and raise his value and they only get a 2nd. But again I don’t think any team is paying Jesse Puljujarvi 4M a year on any term in this climate PLUS giving up a 2nd. They’d just try and workout a deal with the Oilers if they were that interested.

You would do one of those structured deals on the 2.1M or 4.2M offer-sheet to make it harder for Edmonton to match and do it over 3 years instead of 4 to make it easier to buy out. I forgot about that technique.

You go with a 3 year deal (not 4, that was my mistake, it isn't necessary in this situation) at 2.1M or 4.2M AAV so the draft pick compensation is only a second rounder or a 3rd rounder. Then you do 2.96M up front. 4.44M the next season and 6.67M the last season (or half that at a 2.M offer-sheet, obviously). Edmonton signs it and they have a significant cap hit next season. A team signing him only has to pay 2.96M for next season (not great but not unmanageable). If he isn't very good, you buy him out of the remaining salary before his second season (only another 3.7 M because he's under 25) or buy him out in his third season (2.96M first year, 4.44M second year, 2.2M buyout). Having him signed for a minimum three years has advantage if the average cost is 4.2M. Also, you still have his RFA rights at the end. Even if Edmonton matches, they still have to guarantee him a 6.7M offer in his last RFA season to keep his rights. If Edmonton signs him, he's not going to be very trade-able in the summer of 2021 with a cap-hit of 4.2M and 11M in salary going forward unless he absolute kills it. If Edmonton doesn't sign, they only get a second round pick.

For a rich team, 6.7M isn't much money to gamble. The cap hit is fairly manageable and the draft pick compensation is low. Plus, if he breaks out, he's already signed at a reasonable cap hit.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
JJ's contract sucks, no doubt, but the dude has played solid this year. And I say that as somebody who has had nothing but bad things to say about JJ since the signing.

JJ is closer to the ask for JP unless we are talking a third round pick. Why people think JP has all this value is beyond me. Cool, good year in Finland. That doesn't mean quality in the NHL.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
JJ is closer to the ask for JP unless we are talking a third round pick. Why people think JP has all this value is beyond me. Cool, good year in Finland. That doesn't mean quality in the NHL.

I can play that game too... "Why people think JP has no value is beyond me. Cool, good year in Finland. That could mean quality in the NHL."

You're blasting people on their value of their own player and then try to push what you feel his value is. No one is forcing JP on you, especially Oiler fans who would like to see him give it another shot here or bring a similarly aged forward with similar potential.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
You would do one of those structured deals on the 2.1M or 4.2M offer-sheet to make it harder for Edmonton to match and do it over 3 years instead of 4 to make it easier to buy out. I forgot about that technique.

You go with a 3 year deal (not 4, that was my mistake, it isn't necessary in this situation) at 2.1M or 4.2M AAV so the draft pick compensation is only a second rounder or a 3rd rounder. Then you do 2.96M up front. 4.44M the next season and 6.67M the last season (or half that at a 2.M offer-sheet, obviously). Edmonton signs it and they have a significant cap hit next season. A team signing him only has to pay 2.96M for next season (not great but not unmanageable). If he isn't very good, you buy him out of the remaining salary before his second season (only another 3.7 M because he's under 25) or buy him out in his third season (2.96M first year, 4.44M second year, 2.2M buyout). Having him signed for a minimum three years has advantage if the average cost is 4.2M. Also, you still have his RFA rights at the end. Even if Edmonton matches, they still have to guarantee him a 6.7M offer in his last RFA season to keep his rights. If Edmonton signs him, he's not going to be very trade-able in the summer of 2021 with a cap-hit of 4.2M and 11M in salary going forward unless he absolute kills it. If Edmonton doesn't sign, they only get a second round pick.

For a rich team, 6.7M isn't much money to gamble. The cap hit is fairly manageable and the draft pick compensation is low. Plus, if he breaks out, he's already signed at a reasonable cap hit.

Like I said, even with a 2.2M cap hit the Oilers sign that with a smile on their face. even if you structure it that way the AAV stays the same 2.2 and even if you did it that way and the Q/O is 4M range. By that time he’s still under team control for a year but they’ve gotten almost all of their team control years out of him and by then they’ll know if he’s worth that 4.4M or a bigger or smaller contract or if they just want to cut him loose or trade him if there’s a market. If a team offer sheeted him with that deal structured that way, they would be doing the Oilers a favour and for that reason I really don’t see Jesse signing an offer sheet. He’s not going to find an offer that the Oilers wouldn’t match and then he’s tied to them for 3 years.

The 4M offer they definitely would not Match and just take the 2nd. If a team wants to do that. Have at it.

The scenario I see as most likely is Jesse signing a 1 year deal, sometime in the off-season to return to the Oilers. It’s the only way he can possibly raise his value to facilitate a trade, of course he needs to perform. Worst case He’s in the same spot next year but he burns another year off team control and gets himself closer to arb rights so he can force his way to UFA sooner.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

If a team honestly felt that JP was worth risking a $4.2M cap hit and a $6.67M QO on in three years then there would be an easy trade to make.

The vast majority of the League will be facing significant cap issue next year. It's just not a realistic option to believe that some GM will be investing $4.2M for three years in JP at this time and still give up a second.

There are probably only a handful of teams that have the money and the cap space next year to make this sort of offer. Montreal, Colorado, LA, and NJ? The deal makes no sense at all for the first three. And I see absolutely no reason why NJ would do this to be facing a potential $6.67M QO just at the time when their top young players could be looking at big money raises.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Maybe for a couple of weeks, but to suggest that this was permanent is to ignore the fact that Murray was in the process of taking it back before the season got cancelled.
From January 1st onward here are the stats for Jarry, Murray, Koskinen and Smith. (I picked Jan 1st since it was pretty much the start of the Oilers turn around after one of the worst months in franchise history).

Murray 15 gp .905 sv% 2.73 GAA

Jarry 15 gp .901 sv% 3.05 GAA

Koskinen 12 gp .929 sv% 2.51 GAA

Smith 19 gp .911 sv% 2.78 GAA

Goaltending is often a "what have you done for me lately" sort of decision. While I'd be happy to have Jarry, at this point he would not be a priority for the Oilers since I think they have been happy with how their goaltending has played out on over the last half of the season.

Jarry had a great start to the season going 13-5 with a .983 s% and a 1.88 GAA. But since then he has come back to earth. I think like most Oiler fans I like Jarry a lot having followed him for years. But young goalies are extremely unpredictable. Look no further than his Oil King predecessor Laurent Brossoit. Anyone willing to give up a 1st for LB?? Now I'd take Jarry over LB but in fact, most goalies are extremely unpredictable and you can only play one at a time. That's why they typically do not carry great value and when teams do invest a lot in them it very often turns out to be a mistake. And Jarry's red hot streak came at a great time for him as he becomes a 25 year old RFA. So will he will be looking to get paid?

It will be interesting to see how Pittsburgh handles their goalies going forward.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
If McDavid/Draisaitl couldn’t turn the kid into a serviceable NHL player then no one can. I don’t touch him if I’m another GM. He’ll be an afterthought in a few years and a lifer in the Euro leagues.

1. He was a serviceable NHL player.
2. He didn't play with McDavid/Draisaitl very much.

Reactions: TFHockey

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Maybe for a couple of weeks, but to suggest that this was permanent is to ignore the fact that Murray was in the process of taking it back before the season got cancelled.
Murray clearly lost his starting job this season. Jarry was by far the better goalie and an all star to boot....murray did pick up his game a bit towards the end and it showed eith more starts given as they were trying to get him going for playoffs..that's it..murray will either be the one to go or sign a discount deal so pens can keep both...in recent days he has been linked to the avs and leafs

rcollector

Apr 7, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Marino is going to be a UFA after he reject the entry level offer from Oiler. Holland either get little of something or nothing at all. With JP, Holland do not like being force to made trade . So he set the price, if team willing to pay what is asking, he make the trade. If not, JP either sign with Oiler or can stay in Europe unitl he turn 26.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Bahahahahahahahahahah boy oh boy that's terrible..
#1 jarry is next to untouchable. One of the top 3 goalies this season.
2. Pens have no interest in another winger.
3. Pens not gonna give either goalie to the oilers without a top D man ( bear Larsson)

That is classic, only a Pens fan would say that. Smh, this is so freaking funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad