Speculation: Puljujarvi Offer Sheet

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
With Carolina and Montreal recently changing the way offer sheets are perhaps looked at, is it possible that a team offer sheets Puljujarvi at 6-7 years @ 6.1M AAV?

If this is done - a team can get a top 6 forward with only giving up a 1st and 3rd (what you would hope to get from drafting there anyways) - plus you would get a developed/ready/cost certain player.

An offer like this would really screw Edmonton.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
With Carolina and Montreal recently changing the way offer sheets are perhaps looked at, is it possible that a team offer sheets Puljujarvi at 6-7 years @ 6.1M AAV?

If this is done - a team can get a top 6 forward with only giving up a 1st and 3rd (what you would hope to get from drafting there anyways) - plus you would get a developed/ready/cost certain player.

Oilers match. They'd move some contracts around to make room. Barrie would be one guy dealt probably.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
As long as the team that offersheets is ready for child-like retaliation, I’m good with this.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
>60+ F's may be offer sheet eligible, not sure Pulju would be at top of most lists

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

upload_2021-11-10_13-29-47.png

Reactions: TheNumber4

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
He seems very happy here now, and has come around on the organization. Plus the fans are treating him really well. I'm not sure he would sign an offersheet tbh, unless it was like 7+.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He seems very happy here now, and has come around on the organization. Plus the fans are treating him really well. I'm not sure he would sign an offersheet tbh, unless it was like 7+.

The only place I could see him being thrilled to go would be Carolina with the heavy Finnish content there, but otherwise he seems very happy in Edmonton.

I'd say he's the #3 fan favourite on the team right now behind the dynamic duo.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I can't see anyone offering anything the Oilers wouldn't match. There is a big difference between offersheeting a guy three or four times what his current value is as a player for one season and offersheeting a guy that is playing well. A team will match for a key guy that is playing well and make it work. A team would have to be willing to offer something better than what the Oilers will offer him long term in a contract, which is unlikely.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Your picks compensation is wrong. It is the total value of the contract over 5 years. To be just a 1st and 3rd you need the contract to be 5 years max.

Offer Sheet Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Your contract may hit 2 first rounder territory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brodeur

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Puljujarvi is likely going to be worth that 5-6 million range, to successfully get him to sign you’d likely need to make it for the 7-8 million range at which point you’d be doing Edmonton a favour

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well, in fairness do you see Puljujarvi's breakaway goal last night as the result of playing with McDavid? I don't. The kid earned his spot on the top line after starting out on the 3rd. Not everything that goes well in Edmonton is a direct result of Connor McDavid.

-_-

The point is that he's only produced a lot with McDavid. Anyone offersheeting him would be taking a big risk and giving up picks for the opportunity to take the risk on.

He's pacing at almost 100 points this season is he not? A lot of that is McDavid.

No one is going to offersheet him now because he hasn't shown to be a legit top 6 player without McDavid.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Teams can offer sheet him all they want.....he still has to sign it. I'm not convinced he would and to be honest, I think he'd take less money to stay here.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Arizona, Buffalo, Detroit, Seattle would all be primed to do this very easily.

As a Buffalo fan -- we're financially in a position to give JP an offer sheet, but we likely won't. Our best forward prospects are at wing (Quinn, Peterka, Weissbach) and our best NHL players are on wing (Olofsson, Tuch)......and then there's a legit question of where our 4 most talented centers (Mittelstadt, Cozens, Krebs, Thompson) slot long term. It wouldn't be shocking to see 2 of those last 4 settle in at wing. So if one assumes that Quinn, Peterka, Olofsson, Tuch and then 2 of (Mitts, Cozens, Krebs, Thompson) end up at wing -- that's 6 wingers already. Not a lot of room for JP long-term.

If Buffalo is going to offer sheet anyone, it'd be someone who could be a 1C (PLD jumps immediately to mind given the Jets cap issues......maybe Hughes, but I don't see the Devils being dumb with him).

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
Would have to be 1 year 10 million to make Edmonton not match id think. At that point is he worth the draft capital? Any long term deal below 8 will most likely be an instant match, maybe even higher depending on how the rest of the year/playoffs go. I am a big believer in pulju tho. He’s only scratched the surface of what he can do at this level.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
So your thought is that Montreal failing to snag Aho from Carolina and thenlosing Kotkaniemi for a late 1st and a 3rd is going to make teams more likely to make offer sheets? I feel like you have some flaws in your logic. Also, do you see any of the teams you mentioned moving an unprotected first?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Would love him in Winnipeg on a line with Connor and PLD, but I don’t see it happening

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think it would be hard to get him to sign an offer sheet. Not sure where he gets an opportunity better than the one he currently has.

he already left and went home. Most break ups don’t end up in happily ever after

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad