News Article: Puck Possession and Kings Rank High

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Interesting Articletoday about the Kings being tops again in the league in puck possession time and why that's a huge benefit.
The author went onto point out that the Kings were one of the leagues best last year and that is why he wasn't surprised at their post season success and how they made them a lethal opponent

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/e.../pucks-and-numbers-dont-worry-about-the-kings

From that Article:

So far this the Kings are attempting more than 58 percent of the shots when the game is close, and more than 60 percent when the game is tied. They are in the top-two in both areas. They were in the top-four in both areas last season.

Sometimes in the NHL a team can play well and not get the desired result (we saw it earlier this week with Calgary and Chicago), and the Kings have been better than their early season record indicates

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I've honestly never been concerned about the possession all season. It just felt like the Kings would go down into the offensive zone, buzz around for a few minutes but get no goals, then have a defensive breakdown or turnover and find themselves in a hole.

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
Let's not forget the importance of the breakout. I really thought that's where the Kings truly shined in the playoffs last year. This year I've seen glimpses of it, but it hasn't been as consistent.

Good puck posession starts with an effective breakout.

Let's not forget the importance of the breakout. I really thought that's where the Kings truly shined in the playoffs last year. This year I've seen glimpses of it, but it hasn't been as consistent.

Good puck posession starts with an effective breakout.

I think people aslo forget how important a defense man like Willie Mitchell can be in starting that break out. He is good a recovering pucks and getting it moving the other way.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I've honestly never been concerned about the possession all season. It just felt like the Kings would go down into the offensive zone, buzz around for a few minutes but get no goals, then have a defensive breakdown or turnover and find themselves in a hole.

Amen.

Also explains why it feels like we control the games only to lose on a dumb breakdown. We're not getting flat-out outplayed in any way, and that's without 2 of our best d-men.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
possession equates to sustained pressure, which results in mistakes by the other team. mistakes that often lead to power plays. the problem is the PP hasn't done the job yet on a consistent basis.

possession minimizes scoring chances for the opposition. the goaltending for LA has not been up to par yet. we are missing two key assets in Greene and Mitchell, which has caused breakdowns and lapses. LA is skating a rookie and a 7th D.

they are a .500 level team.

fix the PP, Quick improves and 33 and 2 return.....the team will begin to roll again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad