Puck Drop Preview: New York Rangers

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Zibanejad will be at center, Miller is much better on the wing. Also, no mention of Buchnevich? He's gonna be in Pirri's spot unless he bombs it in camp. Pirri will be a scratch probably.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Overall, a pretty well written and fair article.

I would disagree on one thing though.

Having Nash as a player on the decline is a little much. If anything, he's ripe for a bounce back year. His underlying numbers were still very good last season, even though he was injured and snakebitten. Girardi is the guy that best fits the declining moniker.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Fair article IMO.

Buch isn't lighting up Traverse City... no mention because he's done nothing to warrant it?

Hank is another question mark... yeah the defense was crap last season but he didn't play great in the WC (yeah maybe he was getting sick etc.)

Nash on the decline is very fair.

If anything I thought the article was optimistic in saying that if everything goes right we'd be back in the ECF. That's not a given even IF everything goes right.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's up to Nash to prove he's not on the decline. His offensive slump goes back to the final third of 2014-15 and pretty much all last year was a slump. At 32 years old I think it's reasonable to wonder whether his offense will bounce back.

I expect both Buchnevich and Vesey to really push for jobs. I wonder about Pirri--good offensively--not really a defensively responsible 4th line role player and it's important to have some of those.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
this article has more holes than our defense.

i do agree about nash though. he's only here because the rest of the league knows he blows. rick nash by default. gotta love it.

and i agree that this defense isn't very good. its too slow, too old and too un ...er....not talented.

first off, jt miller has shown that his best game is the power wing where he can roam up and down the wall with speed and without the defensive responsibilities that come with the center of the ice. when you have step, mika, khayes, lindy -when he's back healthy and a guy like jooris, theres no need to minimize miller and make him a pivot. let him play wing where he can use his speed and shot. dumb.

he's got dylan mcilrath (still waiting for this kid to be recognized by playing on any national team in any tournament or anything ala, jtmiller, skjei, kreider, zuc) playing with staal on the 2nd pair and brady skjei as the 7th guy. thats brutal for a few reasons. you cannot expect mcilrath to play with staal on the 2nd pair and keep up when he's having to cover for staals tired skating and allergic puck skills. a failing, frequently unhealthy veteran and a one dimensional 3rd pair guy on the 2nd pair. thats a tall order for mcilrath. plus you are exposing mcilrath to 2nd pair minutes and top lines which plays to his weaknesses. simply put, neither of these guys skate well enough nor handle the puck well enough to play full time 2nd pair TOGETHER. talk about not being able to skate pucks out of the zone..... geeez, other than tortorella, no one would like this pair together. talk about a skating in mud defense. these two together will be like sloths.

add to that brady skjei as the 7th- rather than along side marc staal where he belongs and its more silliness. skjei CAN play the right side and his skating is superb as is his ability to get back and cover for his partners mistakes (we are talking marc staal here) . he played RD last season in hartford and last year in the worlds. he did it very well. he was one of the lone BRIGHT SPOTS in last years dismal showing against the pens in the playoffs and showed he can handle major minute and play a reliable, consistent defensive game. certainly more so than mcilrath has shown- ask AV right ?. you simply cannot have brady skjei and those wheels sitting while mcilrath plays 2nd pair. dumb.

lastly, no mention at all of buchnevich. no article can be written and not mention this kid in any way and then be taken seriously. he's got brandon pirri- which i think was a smart signing, playing over him and not one mention that thats the slot buch would occupy and pirri would lose. nothing more needs to be said about that.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Yeah, Skjei is not the 7th man here, flip McIlrath with Skjei and it sounds about right.

I thought Buchnevich played pretty well in TC, though Vesey is the obvious one who shined because of how often he was socring. But, Buchnevich was playing a good game away from the puck, which is what's important to me, anyway.

Is Lindberg actually playing in the opener? Pirri and Hayes on the same line, solid possession wise, but if we're ever in transition going back to our zone or if we're pinned in our zone, not an ideal line combination to have at that time.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Then where is he going? The AHL? Not happening. Big club or the KHL.

According to who? There's a fair chance the kid needs to assimilate to the NA game a bit before making the jump. I don't see anything wrong with him playing a dozen or so games on the Wolfpack if he's not quite there yet. What's the harm in that?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It was an accurate article and not much about the Buch hype on this forum, but that`s fine. I agree with @haohmaru - it will be difficult for him to adapt to NHL this season due to a language barrier. So a year in Heartford Wolf pack to mature and build some muscles, and learn about the NY culture and language wont hurt his development at all in my opinion.

I think Mika should continue to play the #center role though and have Miller in the wing position.
Pirri and Miller are backup #Centers for me in case of injuries.

edit reason; I think Buch will be on the Ranger team this season, but worst case scenario if he is not NHL ready - just look at Miller earlier. He was up/down from Wolfpack - truth is it`s difficult to perform at highest levels at a young age sometimes in NHL. I think Buch is hyped in the media & forum, but it`s really up to him to perform on the ice. :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad