Puck Drop Preview: 2014-2015 New York Rangers

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Or Zuccarello's name...and the lines :laugh:

This article belongs in the trash as far as I'm concerned, guy aint got a clue.

I dunno, as a blogger, haters gonna hate. I get it. The problem becomes when you try to get people who don't regularly follow a team to write about that team. Then they are basing it on like a 4 or 5 game sample size, and what they read in the blogosphere or hear from Pierre McGuire.

Spelling the players names wrong though...thats pretty rough. I mean, just 1 or 2, I can live with...half the names there are spelled wrong. Its kinda embarrassing actually.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yeah that's a pretty bad article. Most of the Rangers fanbase on here could've put together something better than this.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Well I won't be reading that site anymore. :laugh:

Who wrote that? Seems like it's the second or third time that site is linked and it's amateur hour. Sorry if that's harsh, but it's what I'm seeing.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Well, even if they aren't responding here, it's clear they are reading here...I just checked and it looks like the spelling mistakes have been fixed.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Crimson, if you are still reading this thread, I really think you guys need to fix those lines.

Here's a quick breakdown for you.

Rick Nash has almost exclusively played on the RW and Kreider on the LW on that line. Flip them.

Zucc and Brassard played together almost exclusively last year once that trio with Pouliot was put together (with Zucc on the right side) so you should expect to see those 2 together again as well, who is on the left side is up for debate, my guess is either Stempniak, or Hayes, with possibly Zucc switching sides since Hayes is either a RW or a Center. The other option would be if Jesper Fasth makes the team, but that's probably pushing it.

You're probably going to see JT Miller center MSL & Hagelin. Not a given, but 99% of the people on this board seem to think that be the likeliest case.

The 4th line is difficult, since it could be any combination of Lombardi, Moore, Stempniak, Glass, Fasth & Lindberg. Your combo there is just fine.

Dan Girardi is a Right Defenseman. Ryan McDonagh is a left. Switch 'em.

Same thing with Klein and Moore, which is why the McIlrath replacing Moore thing is a bit wrong, unless they move Klein to the left side, which he did a few times when Diaz played, but AV said its something he would prefer not to do.

Conor Allen is likely the next in line RD this season, with McIlrath the next in line LD.

If the Rangers trade Staal, it's because they think McIlrath is ready.

Hope that helps.

Really, that's probably the worst part of the article from a Rangers fan POV (other than the spelling mistakes, which you fixed). Was seeing guys all over the place on their wrong wings.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Ehh, the results of each game were close, but we got killed in the third period and overtime each night. Yes, a post or two could have changed the series, but on overall strength of play over a full 60+ minutes, we were beaten pretty soundly. IMO of course. Outclassed in every way might be a little over the top, but I think the general sentiment is fair.

Third period and overtime =/= full 60 minutes

Also game 1, the OT was like 5 minutes, no one really outplayed the other team until a terrible giveaway. Game 2, the 3rd period was awful, but the OT was as even as could be, they won after a non-call, and game 5, we did get outplayed badly in OT, but also hit like 3 posts. Your posts is not very correct.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

Also game 1, the OT was like 5 minutes, no one really outplayed the other team until a terrible giveaway. Game 2, the 3rd period was awful, but the OT was as even as could be, they won after a non-call, and game 5, we did get outplayed badly in OT, but also hit like 3 posts. Your posts is not very correct.

agreed.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I don't know, man...spin it however you want, but here are the numbers for the third period and overtime in the series: outscored 6-0, out-shot 87-51, two blown third period leads and 3 OT losses. It is what it is--we got our butts kicked over the final frame and OT. They say "good teams make their own breaks"; obviously we're a good team, but we didn't make our breaks and they did. Their shots didn't hit the posts, they hit the net. When you're outplayed (outperformed, if that makes us feel better) like that at the end of games, you're not going to be too successful. THAT's what people will remember.

That was my point--unless you're a Rangers fan, you'll remember us looking like crap to close out games and feel like the end result, 4-1 series win for LA, was reflective of the teams' play. And honestly, who ****ing cares if people want to label the series lopsided or a blowout? We ****ing lost. It is what it is. Does it really matter if people are mischaracterizing how badly we lost? Does that make any of you guys feel better? When I remind myself how close the series was, it makes me sick to my stomach.

Anyway, I'm done discussing this. It is not a good feeling to dwell on that series result. People can describe it however they see fit and I will move on.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Crimson, if you are still reading this thread, I really think you guys need to fix those lines.

Here's a quick breakdown for you.

Rick Nash has almost exclusively played on the RW and Kreider on the LW on that line. Flip them.

Zucc and Brassard played together almost exclusively last year once that trio with Pouliot was put together (with Zucc on the right side) so you should expect to see those 2 together again as well, who is on the left side is up for debate, my guess is either Stempniak, or Hayes, with possibly Zucc switching sides since Hayes is either a RW or a Center. The other option would be if Jesper Fasth makes the team, but that's probably pushing it.

You're probably going to see JT Miller center MSL & Hagelin. Not a given, but 99% of the people on this board seem to think that be the likeliest case.

The 4th line is difficult, since it could be any combination of Lombardi, Moore, Stempniak, Glass, Fasth & Lindberg. Your combo there is just fine.

Dan Girardi is a Right Defenseman. Ryan McDonagh is a left. Switch 'em.

Same thing with Klein and Moore, which is why the McIlrath replacing Moore thing is a bit wrong, unless they move Klein to the left side, which he did a few times when Diaz played, but AV said its something he would prefer not to do.

Conor Allen is likely the next in line RD this season, with McIlrath the next in line LD.

If the Rangers trade Staal, it's because they think McIlrath is ready.

Hope that helps.

Really, that's probably the worst part of the article from a Rangers fan POV (other than the spelling mistakes, which you fixed). Was seeing guys all over the place on their wrong wings.

Umm, McIlrath is RD. Not sure why you've got him as the next LD. Unless you meant Skjei. Irony's a *****.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
To the actual point of the thread--I HATE seeing spelling errors in posts. It just smacks of amateurism. I feel like if a blog entry or news article is solidly-constructed with proper spelling and grammar, it can mask a lot of deficiencies in the content itself. If you come across as a true professional, people will be more willing to accept your controversial or poorly-sourced arguments (not saying that applies to this entry, just speaking in general).

But hey--Matthew Cerrone turned MetsBlog into something huge, and his editors STILL refuse to use a ****ing spellcheck program before publishing. And Jake "Steiny" Steinberg, formerly of The Jets Blog...christ, don't get me started on him. Pure amateur hour. :laugh:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Umm, McIlrath is RD. Not sure why you've got him as the next LD. Unless you meant Skjei. Irony's a *****.

yeah thats what i get for posting at midnight on about 4 hours of sleep the past 4 days. blech. youre right and i actually know that. i had everything flipped, with Klein being a RD, and Moore being a LD.

the point is still the same...McIlrath is NOT next in line behind Moore.

he's behind Klein.

I had them both backwards, and you and I both know that I actually know which side they play, im just a little careless. Then again, it's not an article i'm writing either ;-)

its been very rough for me sleep wise the past few weeks. work all day, then work all night because China exporters have this silly habit of working when most people here are asleep.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
To the actual point of the thread--I HATE seeing spelling errors in posts. It just smacks of amateurism. I feel like if a blog entry or news article is solidly-constructed with proper spelling and grammar, it can mask a lot of deficiencies in the content itself. If you come across as a true professional, people will be more willing to accept your controversial or poorly-sourced arguments (not saying that applies to this entry, just speaking in general).

But hey--Matthew Cerrone turned MetsBlog into something huge, and his editors STILL refuse to use a ****ing spellcheck program before publishing. And Jake "Steiny" Steinberg, formerly of The Jets Blog...christ, don't get me started on him. Pure amateur hour. :laugh:

thats part of the reason why i switched from writing to an audio blog. frankly spell checking and grammar checking take so effing long to do. and when you get home at 1 am after a hockey game, then watch the Rangers till like 2:30 or 3 am, then write a blog post about it till say 3:30am...you couldnt give a rats ass about spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc.

being able to just rant with my voice is a lot more appealing :-D

Wolfy*

thats part of the reason why i switched from writing to an audio blog. frankly spell checking and grammar checking take so effing long to do. and when you get home at 1 am after a hockey game, then watch the Rangers till like 2:30 or 3 am, then write a blog post about it till say 3:30am...you couldnt give a rats ass about spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc.

being able to just rant with my voice is a lot more appealing :-D

So where's the Inferno radio station? Time to keep us updated, at least you have a little more knowledge than certain bloggers...

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
So where's the Inferno radio station? Time to keep us updated, at least you have a little more knowledge than certain bloggers...

its on my site, rangersreview.com i also do a radio show with a few other bloggers at random times...we're working on doing another soon...its tough to make 3 ppls schedules work though, especially mine, i work like a maniac, and play hockey in 2-3 leagues a season depending on what time i actually have.

and im married...and my wife plays hockey too. its a lot of commitments and very little time to fit it all in lol.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
yeah thats what i get for posting at midnight on about 4 hours of sleep the past 4 days. blech. youre right and i actually know that. i had everything flipped, with Klein being a RD, and Moore being a LD.

the point is still the same...McIlrath is NOT next in line behind Moore.

he's behind Klein.

I had them both backwards, and you and I both know that I actually know which side they play, im just a little careless. Then again, it's not an article i'm writing either ;-)

its been very rough for me sleep wise the past few weeks. work all day, then work all night because China exporters have this silly habit of working when most people here are asleep.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Excuses, excuses...eh. I figured you knew that. I just found it amusing. It's the little things.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Excuses, excuses...eh. I figured you knew that. I just found it amusing. It's the little things.

Yeah I know. It was stupid, meh whatever ;-)

Again, most of my post was trying to help them correct issues rather than berate them about it..though there is a little of that.

When I checked the site last, the line combos were still all wrong. I was hoping they would fix 'em

oh well.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Yeah I know. It was stupid, meh whatever ;-)

Again, most of my post was trying to help them correct issues rather than berate them about it..though there is a little of that.

When I checked the site last, the line combos were still all wrong. I was hoping they would fix 'em

oh well.

Plenty people here still spell Staal and Stepan wrong. And NHL.com just claimed Kevin Hayes was our best prospect. I have little expectation for the majority of hockey observers getting things right about the Rangers.

Noble effort on your part...duly noted!

:P

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
I don't know, man...spin it however you want, but here are the numbers for the third period and overtime in the series: outscored 6-0, out-shot 87-51, two blown third period leads and 3 OT losses. It is what it is--we got our butts kicked over the final frame and OT. They say "good teams make their own breaks"; obviously we're a good team, but we didn't make our breaks and they did. Their shots didn't hit the posts, they hit the net. When you're outplayed (outperformed, if that makes us feel better) like that at the end of games, you're not going to be too successful. THAT's what people will remember.

That was my point--unless you're a Rangers fan, you'll remember us looking like crap to close out games and feel like the end result, 4-1 series win for LA, was reflective of the teams' play. And honestly, who ****ing cares if people want to label the series lopsided or a blowout? We ****ing lost. It is what it is. Does it really matter if people are mischaracterizing how badly we lost? Does that make any of you guys feel better? When I remind myself how close the series was, it makes me sick to my stomach.

Anyway, I'm done discussing this. It is not a good feeling to dwell on that series result. People can describe it however they see fit and I will move on.

What are the shot numbers for just the OT periods? I feel like I remember that we got our acts together after the 3rd period in most of those games.

Championship*

Yes, we do read your posts and we hear your criticism.

The writer is not the only one at fault. As the head of the department, blame falls partly on me as well for not reviewing the piece personally. As such, we also have a team of editors that were checking for errors in grammar and punctuation, they skipped out on checking names.

It's obviously a problem and we have since corrected the issue. I have also spoken with the writers and have stressed the importance of getting little things like this correct.

I apologize for the errors in the articles and from this point on, assure something like this won't be happening again. If we have lost readers because of this, that's a true shame. We have a good crop of writers that have contributed to the team and they do great work.

Perhaps you should use somebody from this "good crop" to write the Rangers article next time instead of the buffoon who wrote this amateur crap. But don't do it on my account, I certainly would never read this site after this.

Pistachio

I love your mother
Sep 10, 2013
Zucc on third line with someone who barely played last year, and a new acquisition?
That would be the stupidest thing AV could do this year.

Zucc needs to play with Brass. Third guy, in my opinion, should be Nash.

Nash - Brassard - Zuccarello
Kreider - Stepan - St. Louis
Hagelin - Moore - Hayes
Stempniak - Lombardi - Miller

This would be my guess using the players listed in the article. But there are too many centers, so could draw from the bench.
But then again - buying new players and not using them have always been annoying to me :P

DieByTheShield

Fire AV
Sep 15, 2014
San Diego CA
Kreider-Stepan-St. Louis
Nash-Brassard-Zucc
Hagelin-Miller-Hayes
Lombardi/Fast-D.Moore-Stepniak

McDonagh-Boyle
Giradi-Staal
Klein-J.Moore

Lundqvist
Tablot

That is how I see it.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
What are the shot numbers for just the OT periods? I feel like I remember that we got our acts together after the 3rd period in most of those games.

In the three OT games

In game 1 the Kings out shot the Rangers 12-9

In game 2 the shots were even at 2-2

In game 5 the Kings out shot the Rangers 22-15

In total the Kings out shot the Rangers 37-26 in OT

In the 3rd period in those games, the Kings out shot the Rangers 44-13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad