Puck Drop Preview: 2014-15 Ottawa Senators

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ceci ain't going nowhere!

Would probably be best for him long-term to spend at least the first half of the year in Bingo. Richardson has really been a blessing for the development of the kids.

You can make a lot of mistakes in the development of forwards, and most of the time they can be corrected. Screw up with defensemen or goalies, however, and it can take years (if ever) to undo the damage and rebuild. Ceci is simply too valuable to take a chance.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Murray told Ceci to buy a house last year. That wouldnt be very nice of him to demote him now lol.

Hes the Sens second best righty anyways.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Murray told Ceci to buy a house last year. That wouldnt be very nice of him to demote him now lol.

Hes the Sens second best righty anyways.

I remember reading that Ceci was told to find a place in Ottawa last year but never looked into it

I would think they told him to rent a place because he was going to stay with in he NHL but I doubt they told him to buy a house

Everytime I read someone claiming that Ceci was excellent last year I cringe: he was great in his first few games but after that he was mediocre. This is to be expected, good consistency is by far the hardest to thing to develop (in life in general as well I'm finding out!) so I think he did well

He certainly could use some dominating in the AHL to help his development though

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
My buddy was mentioning that last night. Said that the Sens were gonna give him a try on the left side. Probably fair enough in that he trumps Hoffman - not sure if he has more to offer than Greening, but why not?

Who would play 4C though?

I was reacting to the "expressed interest" part rather than the reports that Smith could play left wing on a line. I know he did play left wing when he joined the Senmators and I know he still can play left wing but I do not know if he has a "preference".

I do not know if he is better than Hoffman. I do know that Hoffman was a very good if not elite scorer in his last season in the AHL. I don't think Smith ever achieved that.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I would rather have Hoffman in the lineup than Grant. We'll need all the goal scoring and skill we can get next year.

Me too. Hoffman was scoring at an elite pace in the AHL when he was brought up to Ottawa. He deserves an opportunity to play on an offensive line, not a defensive oriented checking line. Therefore I think he should be on one of the top 3 lines. The fourth line with Smith, Greening and either Neil or Condra is probably going to be used as a defensive checking line as those players have limited offensive skills.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
History says Hoffman will take a while to get used to the NHL

I'm not so hopeful that time is something the team thinks we have a ton of

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
History says Hoffman will take a while to get used to the NHL

I'm not so hopeful that time is something the team thinks we have a ton of

I think it'll only take roughly 15 goals for Hoffman to get a new contract. I could definitely see that happening too.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
MacArthur - Turris - Chiasson
Michalek - Legwand - Ryan
Z. Smith - Zibanejad - Stone
Condra - Greening - Neil/Hoffman

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Methot
Phillips - Gryba/Boroweicki

Anderson - Lehner

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Mmk... Greening doesn't play centre.

He played centre in college & takes draws on occassions. I actually wanted to write Grant in that spot & take Condra out but with 13 forwards in camp it's quite likely no one else will make the team. My guess is that one of Condra, Hoffman or Stone will start the yr as the 13th forward.

Karlsson2Turris*

I'm a new writer at LWOS and am very happy with their Sens writers so far.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
MacArthur - Turris - Chiasson
Michalek - Legwand - Ryan
Z. Smith - Zibanejad - Stone
Condra - Greening - Neil/Hoffman

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Methot
Phillips - Gryba/Boroweicki

Anderson - Lehner

I like the Top 9. May change the combinations a little, but those are the guys. Hoffman plays LW on the 4th and we have to find a way to get Lazar into the game. Hoffman - Lazar - Condra would seem to be the better chemistry wise, but lite. Puempel, Prince are the call-ups on the wing. Pageau at centre.

Two at least of of Greening, Condra and Neil have to go away.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would rather have Hoffman in the lineup than Grant. We'll need all the goal scoring and skill we can get next year.

Ottawa has had plenty of prospects who played great & put up a lot of points at the AHL/Bingo level who could not transition their game to the NHL. Not to say that will happen to him because he does look very talented but it happens. IMO if Hoffman cannot make the transition than I think PM moves Smith to his spot & calls up a 4th line centre.

I like the Top 9. May change the combinations a little, but those are the guys. Hoffman plays LW on the 4th and we have to find a way to get Lazar into the game. Hoffman - Lazar - Condra would seem to be the better chemistry wise, but lite. Puempel, Prince are the call-ups on the wing. Pageau at centre.

Two at least of of Greening, Condra and Neil have to go away.

IMO Lazar will be returned to junior, I just don't think there is any room on the roster for him, too many one way contracts unless there is a trade to make room.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I'm still a "rookie writer" and this was my biggest piece ever. Sorry to disappoint in the bottom 6. Though I do appreciate the compliments and will use what everyone has said to become hopefully a superior writer with far better content.

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but the way you put it, Legwand is centering 2 AHL players. Giving them 4th line minutes and easier opposition might be a good idea.

I thought the writeup was quite good. I think a piece on Cowen would have been a solid addition. Cowen was awful last year, and he absolutely needs to rebound this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad