Puck battles in the corner - why 4 wings?

deeman

Jan 12, 2013
Michigan
Does it drive anyone else crazy when there is a puck battle deep in the corner and to consistently see 2, then 3, then 4 wings trying to free the puck. 90% of the time the puck squirts outs anyhow and all 4 wings are no where near the puck. Why not send in 1 maybe 2 guys to fight then position guys in front of the net (either end) for the inevitable stray puck?

Also, what the hell is up with the wings favoring the ice behind the goal line in the O zone? It's not uncommon to see all 3 forwards behind the damn goal line. I realize it can help to be there and make a pass to the front of the net, but that would count on two things: 1) we ACTUALLY have someone in the front of the net and 2) that we can complete a pass. We seldom have someone camped out front especially with Abby out.

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
Unfortunately I think this is just one of those areas that reveals the dearth of hockey sense this team has right now; in the past we had lots of players who were adept at reading the play as it unfolded, some of whom were among the best ever at it, seeing the game as if in slow-motion relative to the average player, which made them far better at supporting each other, knowing when to pinch in or when to play back and cover the outlets, putting themselves in positions not only to win those battles or force turnovers but in transitioning quickly and effectively into or back to the attack. And I'm not certain it's something can be easily learned or coached--part of it just comes with experience, which a lot of our team doesn't have a lot of, and most I think is simply a lottery of genetics and how quickly one's senses can transmit information to the brain and how quickly the brain in turn can make the right choice and relay the proper commands back to muscles to perform the necessary action.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad