GDT: PS Game 7: Canes at CBJ 10/1 7pm

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I think this has been Bob's worst game of the preseason so far. The team is making up for him though.
(Of course, this is a game we should always win)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Gerbe's so cute. He's like a pygmy goat.

images

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
While I was too drunk to do any serious analysis (I'm attempting to get into midseason form! XD)
I was impressed that Dano was able to do what he accomplished by end game. His skating isn't great but he has a good head and a good stick. Calvert will hopefully continue his stride into this season. With a little more physical defense (as well as more point shots) I feel like a roster similar to this might be good to do some damage this year.

First year I feel semi-confident saying that.

Pathiic

Mar 13, 2014
Norway
im wondering, is there a huge issue for you peeps that live the rink to get the autograph of the team?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think Wennberg and Chaput cemented their spots in the lineup today, and I think Dano has bought himself one last game too

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
for those of you asking about the review of the "high stick" I heard the other day that there were no reviews during preseason...whatever the refs call is the call...

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Went to game. Impressions.

Ok, I know Foligno and Hartnell are vets who don't get up for pre-season, but for the love of Gordie Howe, they looked terrible. Letestu did not look much better.

Cam, Matty, Wennberg, and Dano were the spark plugs of the evening. Dano plays like Cam and Matty, feet going all the time, constant movement and hustle. Among the bubble players, to me it is not even close. Dano is ready to play NHL hockey. Like Cam and Matty, he is always poking his stick. Dano belongs on this team. He can score (2 goals) and he can hustle enough to play defense. Heck if you put Dano next to Calvert, it would be hard to tell who is who from the way they play. They both play that same game of constant movement and hustle. And without our first line we are going to need that.

Wennberg is very talented, but is not NHL ready. Close but not there. He got beat pretty badly on face offs. In fact, I was surprised how small he is compared to some of the guys he was against in face offs. He also plays soft, tends to play toward the outside. He is clearly a skilled and gifted player. But he might need some time in Springfield to adjust to the physical nature of North American hockey.

Chaput has earned his spot on the team. He is almost the quintessential fourth line center.

Hjalmarrson? He was there, he was ok, but nothing to really impress.

Bob? Bob? I know it is pre-season, but please wake up.

JJ did not realize it was a pre-season game. Tuts also played like it mattered. Savard looked really good. Amazing how much weight he has lost since his chubby days of 3 years ago.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Other than faceoffs I don't agree with anything EDM said about Wennberg. He didn't look small at all to me, and he was throwing his weight around. He can't start at C though, yikes. He can't win draws right now. His smarts and sound defense makes him a roster lock in my eyes

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Other than faceoffs I don't agree with anything EDM said about Wennberg. He didn't look small at all to me, and he was throwing his weight around. He can't start at C though, yikes. He can't win draws right now. His smarts and sound defense makes him a roster lock in my eyes

I dont think he's ready either. I don't think he looks small and all that but I still don't think he's ready for NA hockey. I said it before the preseason that Dano was the closest to NHL ready and after the preseason games so far I feel even more confident in that. He's too passive, as a young guy with the best chance he could ask for to crack the lineup (injuries and Joey) he should be flying and doing everything humanly possible to earn a spot. Jenner did it last year and Dano is trying to do it this year but Wennberg is letting it slip by and even if he does make it I think he'll have a very short leash.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I dont think he's ready either. I don't think he looks small and all that but I still don't think he's ready for NA hockey. I said it before the preseason that Dano was the closest to NHL ready and after the preseason games so far I feel even more confident in that. He's too passive, as a young guy with the best chance he could ask for to crack the lineup (injuries and Joey) he should be flying and doing everything humanly possible to earn a spot. Jenner did it last year and Dano is trying to do it this year but Wennberg is letting it slip by and even if he does make it I think he'll have a very short leash.

Hell at this rate I think Dano is going to make it too. Dano was flying, it looks like Rychel will be alone in Springfield.

Wennberg does seem a bit passive offensively, but look at the shift he and Calvert and Atkinson had to set up the goal. That was a collective effort, and Wennberg is even killing penalties. He can do so much already for the team, and even if he isn't ready offensively (Joey wasn't year 1 either) he is certainly ready for the physicality and the defensive portion. The guy flies on skates. I don't think its a coincidence when Calvert says he's been with Wennberg most of training camp

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'd prefer if Wennberg started in the AHL, for his sakes so he can develop his game in the lower-pressure environment and acclimate to North American hockey. But he's definitely good enough for NHL hockey, at least in the sense that he doesn't hurt the team defensively, faceoffs aside.

I don't agree that Wennberg is being passive. I prefer to think that he's just a smooth skater (which obscures his hustle), and that he controls the pace of the game, sometimes slowing it down.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Hell at this rate I think Dano is going to make it too. Dano was flying, it looks like Rychel will be alone in Springfield.

Wennberg does seem a bit passive offensively, but look at the shift he and Calvert and Atkinson had to set up the goal. That was a collective effort, and Wennberg is even killing penalties. He can do so much already for the team, and even if he isn't ready offensively (Joey wasn't year 1 either) he is certainly ready for the physicality and the defensive portion. The guy flies on skates. I don't think its a coincidence when Calvert says he's been with Wennberg most of training camp

The difference with Joey is the AHL option, even if he only played a couple months down there if would do nothing but help.
The concern i would have for both of them would be how they handle playing 80+ games in a year. Especially Wennberg since his game is usually away from the physical play and he has potential to wear down like Atkinson for example. Dano plays physical and is pretty similar to Calvert as pointed out earlier in the thread but he played like 60 some games last year. Dano is pretty commited though, he was in Columbus a lot of the summer wasn't he?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad