GDT: PS Game 2: Columbus vs. St. Louis | 9/21 6:30PM EDT

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Back from the game. First impression is that Rychel really has a good chance of making this team. He seems by far the most advanced at playing CBJ hockey. Tough in the corners, good awareness, willing to work, and obviously the nice goal didn't hurt either.

We will see how the rest of camp goes, but really enjoyed watching him play tonight. Thought Anderson also had a pretty good night. Curious to hear how the rest of you felt about the guys tonight.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Decent pre-season game. My initial impression is that Wennberg would benefit from spending some time in the AHL. Rychel may have a shot though.

I think the 2013 draft year for the CBJ is going to be an amazing one when all is said and done. Yes, it helps to have 3 first rounders, but Heatherington, Bjorkstrand, Moutrey, Soberg and Quenneville are all interesting prospects.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Also, have to add I was very unimpressed by Jerry D'Amigo. There are several much better options in front of him, based off tonight's efforts at least. Seemed pretty weak on the puck and often seemed to be falling down and/or out of place. Hoping we see a better effort from him next time out.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Just got home from the game. I sat two rows up behind the St. Louis bench... closest I ever sat in my life.... for 15 dollars LOL. Anways... my two cents on the game:

Wennberg looked extremely composed. Nearly had a goal before his actual goal. Controlled the puck well. Very impressive.
Rychel had a hell of a goal on his first shift. Made some good passes too.
Dano, I didn't really notice him much. He did play more physical then I thought he would.
Josh Anderson..... played VERY well. I was extremely impressed with him. Threw the body around and seemed very composed. Even got involved in multiple scrums.
Calvert had a tremendous game. Was all over the place. Continued to heat his rivalry with Jackman. Man, those two hate eachother. Actually, hate wouldn't be the word haha.
While Dansk ended up finishing the game and getting the win for the Jackets, he looked shaky, at least to me. Rightfully so. Tons of nerves and emotion in his first game but I can easily see him backing up Forsberg this year in Springfield mainly because I believe that Forsberg is the better goalie of the two, as of right now.
As for defensemen, Prout committed several 'dumb' penalties. despite having a few assists, Didn't have a good game at all in my opinion. Looked out of place at times..
While he certainly won't make the big club, Sifers (defenseman) played a really good game tonight.
I was really interested in honing in on Simon tonight. I thought he played pretty well. Has tons of speed and seems to have good moves. Although, there was one play where he and Moutrey had a 2-on-1 breakaway, Simon had a clear shot to the net and decided to pass it to Moutrey who was more covered... let to the breakaway being broken up. Would've liked to see him take that shot as he possibly could've had his first goal. Also, he didn't seem physical at all which is expected (lacks size and that's... well.. just the opposite of the style of game he plays).
Oh, and McElhinney had an extremely strong game. The lone goal he gave up was off a deflection of Heatherington, his own teammate.

As for St. Louis... it was awesome to see the team so up-close. Crazy to actually here the players and coaches communicate and hilarious to see their smelling salt reactions. Boy, I absolutely LOVE Tarasenko's game. Such a smooth player. Very vocal. Very swift.

Best of the best, as in had the strongest game (in order): Calvert, Wennberg, Boone, Rychel, Anderson.

All in all, had a great night. Can't wait for opening night. Nationwide was alot more crowded tonight than I thought it would be. I was pretty impressed!

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Also, have to add I was very unimpressed by Jerry D'Amigo. There are several much better options in front of him, based off tonight's efforts at least. Seemed pretty weak on the puck and often seemed to be falling down and/or out of place. Hoping we see a better effort from him next time out.

I, as well, wasn't impressed. Seemed to look out of place at times.

btw... pretty sweet pic I took from tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=500554940089174&l=37d38c3aeb

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
if tonight was any indication, Josh Anderson will be with this team as a call up at some point this year...

side note, it was pretty cool to meet his dad tonight...came up to CBJP to thank him for the traverse coverage...really nice guy

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Was at the game last night.

Pretty much what you would expect for a patch-work line-up with a lot of rust.

Pretty much agree with assessments of the game so far, but I thought Dano looked OK. Didn't get on the score sheet, but I thought he battled hard, and held his own.

Strong game from Calvert, and Boone.

Agree Prout was off his game. Savard looked good, and thought Heatherington was good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad