GDT: PS #7 // Flames @ Oilers // Sept 29 @ 1 PM MST // Streaming

Which forwards should make the Oilers roster?

• Total voters

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Let's not do that, our roster decisions should be based on merit, not punitive cause we don't like your contract relative to your production, I'm also not buying that we have 12 forwards who are better than Lucic. A lot of teams have an overpaid player or two, you just deal with it and try to not repeat your mistakes, when his contract is closer to up we can likely bribe some cellar dweller into taking it off our hands. We have a hard enough time attracting UFAs to begin with, we don't need to try exacerbating that problem by starting a feud with a player like Lucic who has a lot of visibility and renown around the league.

Yeah Lucic last 3 years are not that bad especially if we wait until July 1st 2020 . His 3 million dollar bonus would be paid so he will be owed

2020/2021 1 million
2021/2022 5 million
2022/2023 4 million

Very movable

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Just a luggage tag, no?

If you zoom in there's a little black book that has the strong appearance of a passport in a little netted side pocket (which another poster pointed out). It doesn't look like it's enclosed and we know how structurally sound those netted pockets are-haha.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Yeah Lucic last 3 years are not that bad especially if we wait until July 1st 2020 . His 3 million dollar bonus would be paid so he will be owed

2020/2021 1 million
2021/2022 5 million
2022/2023 4 million

Very movable

There's also a fair-to-decent chance there will also be a compliance buyout window after the 2020 CBA, particularly if there is any form rollback tied to the inevitable change to player escro.

10 games. That's how long I think they need to give Lucic every chance to rebound before doing anything like 4th line or press-box. If he can just put a half way season together, they may just be able to move him with minimal salary retention.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Is Lucic not another notoriously slow starter?

I think of him as a bear coming out of hibernation. Kind of slow, mopey and lumbering around for the first bit. Just last season, it was all season.

If we're going to give Draisaitl a pass because he's a self admitted slow starter, I'm going to afford Lucic the same benefit. I'd give him 20 games before giving him 4th line duties but I can see him rotating between lines 2 and 3. He could actually be alright with a center like Strome. I don't think he has played with him yet, has he?

We all know Mclellan would never press box him and if he tried, Chiarelli would put a ****-block on it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If you zoom in there's a little black book that has the strong appearance of a passport in a little netted side pocket (which another poster pointed out). It doesn't look like it's enclosed and we know how structurally sound those netted pockets are-haha.

OK, thanks. Couldn't zoom in but now I spotted the passport. yeah, I'm uber careful with important documents when travelling. I couldn't imagine going through an airport or anywhere with a passport so easily able to be stolen, lost, etc. Probably some young player that doesn't really get it. It makes life easier for pick pockets anyway to have people like this around.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Is Lucic not another notoriously slow starter?

I think of him as a bear coming out of hibernation. Kind of slow, mopey and lumbering around for the first bit. Just last season, it was all season.

If we're going to give Draisaitl a pass because he's a self admitted slow starter, I'm going to afford Lucic the same benefit. I'd give him 20 games before giving him 4th line duties but I can see him rotating between lines 2 and 3. He could actually be alright with a center like Strome. I don't think he has played with him yet, has he?

We all know Mclellan would never press box him and if he tried, Chiarelli would put a ****-block on it.

Disagree here. Lucic has scored 1 goal, just 1, in 2018, through about 50GP. This is a player that had stated most of the summer that he's figured out, that he realized his mistakes last year, worked hard and has been saying all the right things (which I take at face value) The important thing to recognize is that Lucic got so toxicly bad last season he was a moping distraction. he was literally drilling himself into the ice on most shifts. It was ugly. We had him, his coach, his manager all speak about his character, his pride, and that they knew Lucic would rebound, would redeem.

Based on play I don't know that. He'll get better (can he get worse?) but he had a lot to prove after failure last year. He was the single biggest failure on the team. he owes himself, the team, and its fans to bring better. This is a player who's game is full of doubt.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Disagree here. Lucic has scored 1 goal, just 1, in 2018, through about 50GP. This is a player that had stated most of the summer that he's figured out, that he realized his mistakes last year, worked hard and has been saying all the right things (which I take at face value) The important thing to recognize is that Lucic got so toxicly bad last season he was a moping distraction. he was literally drilling himself into the ice on most shifts. It was ugly. We had him, his coach, his manager all speak about his character, his pride, and that they knew Lucic would rebound, would redeem.

Based on play I don't know that. He'll get better (can he get worse?) but he had a lot to prove after failure last year. He was the single biggest failure on the team. he owes himself, the team, and its fans to bring better. This is a player who's game is full of doubt.

Yep, he's definitley at rock bottom. Only one way to go up from there, I hope.

The coaches need to put him in a position to succeed and not force success by putting him with fast play makers.

I think he'd do well on the 3rd line. He'd face lighter assignments (in theory) and be on a line that isn't overly expected to fill the net with offense.

I think Mclellan is also failing Lucic or is at least setting him up for continued failure by being too stubborn to move him down to the 3rd.

I am not absolving Lucic for his past performance but due to the contract, a lot is expected of him from the fan base. Unfortunate thing is, if he is moved to the 3rd line he'll be roasted for being a 6 million dollar third liner.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yep, he's definitley at rock bottom. Only one way to go up from there, I hope.

The coaches need to put him in a position to succeed and not force success by putting him with fast play makers.

I think he'd do well on the 3rd line. He'd face lighter assignments (in theory) and be on a line that isn't overly expected to fill the net with offense.

I think Mclellan is also failing Lucic or is at least setting him up for continued failure by being too stubborn to move him down to the 3rd.

I am not absolving Lucic for his past performance but due to the contract, a lot is expected of him from the fan base. Unfortunate thing is, if he is moved to the 3rd line he'll be roasted for being a 6 million dollar third liner.
He’ll be roasted by some just because some always need to complain about something. If the team is playing well though and he can find a contributing role somewhere else in the lineup then I think most will be fine with it. Most people only start caring about what a player is making when the team is losing. When a team is winning people start appreciating the lower profile roles players end up taking on.

Reactions: McFuhryous

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

I wonder what Lucic's weight is now, is it less than earlier? According to Eliteprospects Lucic is some 20-25 lbs heavier than e.g. Drai and Pulju (and much more compared to the shorter McDavid) so it has to have some effect to the speed. If you think about the game today it's a huge asset to be able to skate fast and if your skating technique isn't perfect and if you also weigh a lot it's gonna make some things harder and you just can't fix everything with a strong physical presence.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wonder what Lucic's weight is now, is it less than earlier? According to Eliteprospects Lucic is some 20-25 lbs heavier than e.g. Drai and Pulju (and much more compared to the shorter McDavid) so it has to have some effect to the speed. If you think about the game today it's a huge asset to be able to skate fast and if your skating technique isn't perfect and if you also weigh a lot it's gonna make some things harder and you just can't fix everything with a strong physical presence.

Lucic needs to play physical and keep screening the goalie looking for rebounds and deflections. He's been going to the right areas but needs to work on screening the goalie, he's just stationary in front of the net, that doesn't take away the goalies vision very well. That shouldn't be too hard for him to do if he's willing and coachable.

Reactions: GameChanger

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Lucic needs to play physical and keep screening the goalie looking for rebounds and deflections. He's been going to the right areas but needs to work on screening the goalie, he's just stationary in front of the net, that doesn't take away the goalies vision very well. That shouldn't be too hard for him to do if he's willing and coachable.
I feel like in pre season he was staying out of the way a bit cause he didn't want to risk injury imo. We added a few hard hard shots in the past year, probably doesn't want to get smoked by one in pre season lol

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad