Post-Game Talk: PS#4 - Rangers @ Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I think preseason has minimal weight but that's it. Like a few years ago we looked like ass from preseason to the end of the first month of the season. But other than that it isn't too indicative

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
We need to think about one season and one season only. This season. Whichever defenseman gives us the better chance of winning the Cup this season should be the one who stays.

Diaz is not going to push us into the Stanley cup finals, both can play serviceable as the #6 dman but Mci can possibly continue to get better and he a big part of the team for the next decade. Diaz..well you know what you are getting and he's not going to improve anymore. And the team is lacking a very physical defensemen and has more than enough offensive defensemen. If we need one that bad we can always call up Bodie.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
I think preseason has minimal weight but that's it. Like a few years ago we looked like ass from preseason to the end of the first month of the season. But other than that it isn't too indicative

It's for rookies to find out what it's like to play against NHL quality players and NHL quality teams.

Last edited:

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Diaz is not going to push us into the Stanley cup finals, both can play serviceable as the #6 dman but Mci can possibly continue to get better and he a big part of the team for the next decade. Diaz..well you know what you are getting and he's not going to improve anymore. And the team is lacking a very physical defensemen and has more than enough offensive defensemen. If we need one that bad we can always call up Bodie.

He's fighting for the 7th for a reason, pump the breaks

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
It's for rookies to find out what it's like to play against NHL quality players and NHL quality teams.

For the guys who have been around the block and back 100 times this is their version of the walk you do on the treadmill for a minute before you start your jog.

Dude, we were so ass, everyone was that one year for the pre and 1st month, but that's why I said it's minimal because we ironed it out!

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Dude, we were so ass, everyone was that one year for the pre and 1st month, but that's why I said it's minimal because we ironed it out!

It was a brand new system for us at that point.

We transitioned from Torts to AV

That's like switching from Cable to DirecTV. It's gonna take you a while to find out where all the channels are.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I remember when Sauer made the team a few years back. A lot of folks (myself included) thought he was down the road before camp even started. Then he shocked everyone. Torts made a point of it more than once.

McI's camp this year reminds me of that a bit. For sometime I've been saying that if McI can give this team a more physically intimidating Mike Sauer, then the Rangers hit the jackpot.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
just watched the game dvr, Stalberg's looked notably better each game. Very excited to see him with Dom Moore/Lindberg

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
Who is asking you to blindly hype him or justify the pick? Can you name even one person here who's doing that? It was a bad pick. But we can't change it, so you move on and look at what's there now. And the guy's made nice strides and could be a solid player going forward.

Personally, if I'm looking at any one thing that's impressed me, it's his demeanor right now. Where he was picked, and the time it took to develop, puts an awful lot of weight on a young kid. Right now, he looks like he's settled down, is just playing his game and he's showing some poise, which is good to see because he's still only 23.

As far as Diaz's ability to put up points, he's 29, has scored 8 total goals in his career, and averages 10 assists per season. Let's not confuse him with Ray Bourque :)

By the simple fact that you're responding to this post from three pages back is evidence enough of you trying to justify it. And your basis, three preseason games. Additionally, your attempt to make me look so far out of touch with that ridiculous comparison to Ray Borque. I don't know if you realize it, but it is Diaz and Mcllrath competing for the same spot. The the comparison between one another is appropriate.

Again, I find myself in the unenviable position of disparaging Dylan when that was never my intention. It was more of a self defending argument directed at those who levied attacks against my opinion.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think AV isn't a huge fan of McIlrath (though he loves Girardi and Klein who are definitely not puck moving D and all that) but at the same time I think he's talking down a bit as a motivational thing. If you say "yeah he was great! loved it, played so well" it's conceivable you take away some motivation for the player. Someone like McIlrath can't think "alright, coach basically just said I'm in, I can take it easy now". He's gotta keep pushing and playing like every day is his last regardless of what his coach says.

Admittedly, its just speculation. But I definitely feel that its more than this unfortunately.

I am sure this has been an ongoing issue that must have been on the table when we moved Hagelin too, without any doubt Klein's name was also discussed at that point because he was the only reasonable option to move besides Hagelin.

But AV wants to keep Klein. And I mean, its not like I don't understand him. We all know how extremely small marginals there are when we are in action during the POs. We cannot have anyone folding at that point. I just don't at all think AV is keen on making a change to his blueline. He is looking at this spring. We have a good shot at the cup and its his job to get it. Who would want to make a change to the blueline now? Given that Girardi is vulnerable to injuries and Boyle is as old as he is, having depth is only good.

But sometimes you end up in situations like this. Especially with certain coaches who maybe don't take that active part in the management aspect of it. Because from the organizational point of view, there is no option to snooze McIlrath. We can't sit him in the stands until January-Februray, or for the whole season, or however long it will take before a RD is hurt. The kid if anyone needs to play. If we are keeping Yandle, Klein is in all likelihood lost in 9 months as a cap-causality, as is Boyle. That is two holes on the blue-line that must be filled, with very little cap-room. McIlrath is coming along tremendously well the last year. There is zero reason to expect him to stop developing now, he is close now and will be better in 3/6/12 months 2/3/4 years time. We can expect improvement on a regular basis, and a lot of it too to be honest.

Gorton is in charge of this. The best move for the organization is undoubtedly to replace Klein now and Boyle next summer while resigning Yandle ASAP.

member 116805

just watched the game dvr, Stalberg's looked notably better each game. Very excited to see him with Dom Moore/Lindberg

Agreed, he seems to grow into the system nicely unlike Etem who i think came here thinking he was a lock. Too much posing with puppies and not enough focus on what was at hand

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Agreed, he seems to grow into the system nicely unlike Etem who i think came here thinking he was a lock. Too much posing with puppies and not enough focus on what was at hand

He's been in constant communication with the coaches asking them what he needs to do to make this team and whatever his role is he will do it.

He has a life outside of hockey, as do all the players. His just happens to be on Instagram.

Not a big deal

member 116805

He's been in constant communication with the coaches asking them what he needs to do to make this team and whatever his role is he will do it.

He has a life outside of hockey, as do all the players. His just happens to be on Instagram.

Not a big deal

Him and his puppy would both be in CT in a perfect world. Now, instead of him getting better while playing top minutes he will (or should) be wearing a suot and sitting in the press box

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Someone mentioned the idea of a Swedish line of Stalberg-Lindberg-Fast as a 3rd or 4th line.

I think there is a strong possibility that somewhere around game 20 this line is experimented with and there's a good chance it could stick if they show some chemistry

Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-Miller
Hayes-Moore-Etem
Stalberg-Lindberg-Fast
Glass/Stoll

With Stalberg having essentially made the team, Etem being in the top 12 due to the downpayment we made on him with the departure of Hagelin, Lindberg apparently being a lock to make the team, I don't see where Stoll fits in the top 12.

Thoughts?

I think the top 12 on this team is good enough to not have a 4th line. We have the talent and skill to roll out two 3rd lines.

Line 1: 17 minutes
Line 2: 17 minutes
Line 3: 13 minutes
Line 4: 13 minutes

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
We need to think about one season and one season only. This season. Whichever defenseman gives us the better chance of winning the Cup this season should be the one who stays.

I disagree. Can't afford to think and act that way for a third consecutive season. The team with the best roster and plan isn't a sure thing to win the cup. Look at last year - planned well, had nice depth all over, lost 3 dmen and Zucc by the ecf. There's a lot of luck involved in winning the cup. To me, going for broke the last two years isn't a luxury we can afford again this year. We have a new gm, we have young talent pushing, we have parts of our core that are aging and slipping in play quality... we can't go all in again without any care for the future at all. It's too much. Gotta strike a balance between being poised to win a cup and slowly adding in cheap youth.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
I disagree. Can't afford to think and act that way for a third consecutive season. The team with the best roster and plan isn't a sure thing to win the cup. Look at last year - planned well, had nice depth all over, lost 3 dmen and Zucc by the ecf. There's a lot of luck involved in winning the cup. To me, going for broke the last two years isn't a luxury we can afford again this year. We have a new gm, we have young talent pushing, we have parts of our core that are aging and slipping in play quality... we can't go all in again without any care for the future at all. It's too much. Gotta strike a balance between being poised to win a cup and slowly adding in cheap youth.

That's fair and I'd agree with you if Henrik Lundqvist wasn't turning 34. We need to put the best possible team on the ice in front of him every year.

I'd also agree with you if McIlrath was anything close to a sure thing, but he's fighting for the 7th.

I'd also agree with you if we weren't cup contenders for 2016.

But all of those things are true. Hank is 34, McIlrath is a question mark, and we're not the New Jersey Devils. We have a realistic chance to win the Stanley Cup. A calculated risk type of chance.

When you have a realistic chance to win it all you put your best foot forward and put the best 23 guys, who can fit under the cap, on the ice, regardless of age.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
By the simple fact that you're responding to this post from three pages back is evidence enough of you trying to justify it. And your basis, three preseason games. Additionally, your attempt to make me look so far out of touch with that ridiculous comparison to Ray Borque. I don't know if you realize it, but it is Diaz and Mcllrath competing for the same spot. The the comparison between one another is appropriate.

Again, I find myself in the unenviable position of disparaging Dylan when that was never my intention. It was more of a self defending argument directed at those who levied attacks against my opinion.

Your basis for Diaz bringing offense is essentially one preseason game where he scored 2 pp goals, 1 on a two man advantage.

He has a long resume and it's not full of points. He's not a scoring d man, he's a backup guy who can move the puck decently in small spurts.

When you share an opinion, sometimes people don't agree. It's not an attack its discussion and it's exactly what this site exists for.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
That's fair and I'd agree with you if Henrik Lundqvist wasn't turning 34. We need to put the best possible team on the ice in front of him every year.

I'd also agree with you if McIlrath was anything close to a sure thing, but he's fighting for the 7th.

I'd also agree with you if we weren't cup contenders for 2016.

But we are, when you have a realistic chance to win it all you put your best foot forward and put the best 23 guys on the ice.

We're not going to be able to put anything decent in front of him in 2-3 years time if we keep going for broke every year like this. Well also be creating a situation where our next goalie, even if they end up being someone very talented, is going to have crap in front of them for a long time, including key development years.

He's a rookie so he's not going to be a sure thing period. I'm not saying move Klein for him today, but they should keep McI and play him when possible, and if he shows he can handle 6D duties well they should shop Klein in time. That's walking the line between today and tomorrow.

And tell TB, CHI, ANA etc that they're contenders and don't need to build for the future because I don't think they got that memo.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
We're not going to be able to put anything decent in front of him in 2-3 years time if we keep going for broke every year like this. Well also be creating a situation where our next goalie, even if they end up being someone very talented, is going to have crap in front of them for a long time, including key development years.

He's a rookie so he's not going to be a sure thing period. I'm not saying move Klein for him today, but they should keep McI and play him when possible, and if he shows he can handle 6D duties well they should shop Klein in time. That's walking the line between today and tomorrow.

And tell TB, CHI, ANA etc that they're contenders and don't need to build for the future because I don't think they got that memo.

Building for the future comes 2nd.

Yes, we have to continue to scout well, bring in young players, and make a general attempt to get younger. But all of that comes 2nd for us. That's the situation we are fortunate enough to be in.

When making decisions on the 2016 roster, the decision should come down to this question. Which player gives us the best chance to win the Stanley Cup in 2016? Whatever the answer to that question is should be the guy who makes the team.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Building for the future comes 2nd.

Yes, we have to continue to scout well, bring in young players, and make a general attempt to get younger. But all of that comes 2nd for us. That's the situation we are fortunate enough to be in.

When making decisions on the 2016 roster, the decision should come down to this question. Which player gives us the best chance to win the Stanley Cup in 2016? Whatever the answer to that question is should be the guy who makes the team.

Eh I disagree but I've made my points. We don't have to have the same opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad