Cambridge, MA
1695778556032.png

1695778642545.png

1695778699812.png

Last edited:
Reactions: hrdpuk

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Hey - what's up with Jack Edwards? I'm a Sabres fan that watched the B's feed. He was slowing down last year but this year he seems a little worse. Has anything been said publicly?

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
The good
The new away jerseys look just like the old home whites and I love them.
Lohrei
Mitchell
Steen

The bad
Everyone else but especially
Lauko
McLaughlin
Chiasson
Megna

Reactions: Troublesome 85

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Hey - what's up with Jack Edwards? I'm a Sabres fan that watched the B's feed. He was slowing down last year but this year he seems a little worse. Has anything been said publicly?
Nothing publicly said, just speculation. Actually he was better tonight than he was much of last season. He was slurring words quite a bit last season. Didn't seem to do anything as noticeable tonight as some of his struggles last season. He's definitely not what he once was.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Grzelcyk was very good - like a 10 year veteran controlling play

Mitchell was attacking/creating/pushing pace - whatever. He was a pretty high rated prospect with Chicago before that franchise imploded off and on the ice. I hope they keep him up - this performance didn’t surprise me

Lohrei made mistakes but he was impressive and this is going to be interesting to watch

pizzafrylover420

Feb 5, 2020
All taken with a grain of salt as it’s still insanely early but impressions:

Lucic: It may be my nostalgia but Lucic looked real solid tonight, engaged, making simple smart plays, good vet performance from Lucic.

Beecher: impressed me again this game, looked engaged, good on face offs, good PK and forechecking. Flying out there. It’s early but I’d say he deserves a shot based on his effort so far over most of the guys he is competing with.

McLaughlin- some solid faceoff skills, skating well, good pressure on forecheck, good energy guy, like what he brought over the PTO guys and Megna.

Toporowski: nothing too spectacular but I’ve notice him a lot, buzzing out there, had some energy to his game at least.

Kuntar: took a bit of time for him to settle in tonight but as the game has gone on, looking more comfortable, a few nice chances.

Lauko, tough with the penalties but he is at least coming with good energy and compete. To me he is an ideal 4th liner, hope he gets a longer look. Like his game over the PTO guys.

Boqvist: has made some good plays on PK and back checking/neutral zone, decent puck handling skills, not sure he is doing enough to separate him from the rest but he hasn’t been bad, kinda weak on pucks/nothing too physical.

Chiasson- eh fine vet, thought he was fine but I’d rather give those bottom 6 spots to younger guys in the system who have been with the team longer and have done more to get a shot (I’d rather see more Lauko-Steen-McLaughlin given a shot)

Steen has been real solid, nice to see him rewarded on that rebound goal, not afraid of going into grimy areas and battle hard. Not afraid to get physical and muck it up! I’m rooting for him and think he could eventually carve out a niche somewhere. Real strong solid frame given his smaller size and you can tell the difference when he goes in on forechecks or board battles compared to guys like Boqvist/Heinen. Hope he can continue to do more to make a case for himself. Like I said, I’d rather see guys like him and Lauko get longer looks over guys like Heinen, Boqvist, Chiasson, Megna types. I think Steen has a lot more he can show and hope he figures it out.

Megna- eh fine providence guy, not sure I really want to see him getting any more games in.

Merkulov-started the game quiet and by the 3rd I thought he got a lot better. Some real nice clean faceoff wins too! I’m a BIG fan from what I’ve seen of him in providence. He has been dominant in Providence in the handful of games I went to last year. I’m on the Merkulov train, amazing skill set, passing, crafty, good skating, awesome shot. I want him to take that next step and think Boston could use his skill set. Seems like a guy that needs good line mates to really excel and tap into that offensive creativity. He seemed to set things up but the line mates wouldn’t be in sync. Feel like he is gonna be one of those guys that needs more time in the AHL and then a random injury will happen, he will get called up, light it up and never go back down…I hope!

Heinen: the most polarizing player at camp….but no no I’ve always liked heinen, he had a few brief flashes of that crafty play but to be honest underwhelmed with his energy/performance given someone on a PTO trying to play for a contract. To me he has to do ALOT more to make the team, give me Lauko, Steen, Beecher, McLaughlin over this version of Heinen. See if he steps it up as camp goes cause otherwise I think we have better depth options in the system.

defense- rating just bad overall
Carlo and Grz lots of rust, not a good game by either, both seemed to really struggle moving pucks

Mast and Brunet just way in over their heads

Lohrei- not a good game man he is green, looks like he still needs a lot of time to figure some things out, lots of bad plays with the puck, turnovers, some bad pinches, some positioning issues. I’m sure he will figure it out, I see the skills there, good shot leading to the one goal, but needs some real time working on the thinking- what’s between the ears. Faster pace will be an adjustment, hope he adds a little more physicalness to that big frame. Skating looked good and bad, was getting beat a few times and looked a bit lumbering at times, and then finesse dancing other times. The skills are there!

Ian Mitchell: eh I just don’t like the player I guess haha I’ve only seen him 2 times so this has to be taken with a huge grain of salt but to me he looks like a standard trick or treat d-man. I thought he had an awful awful first half of the game, I heard “And Mitchell can’t get the puck out” way too many times in the 2 games I’ve watched, seems like it’s a common issue with him. He did have one insane awesome shift in the second and then I will admit he came alive in the third, good pinches, some solid D plays. I know he is a Monty guy but I really hope he doesn’t become a regular on the backend. The “treat” part of his game-(the shot, outlet passes, the right pinches) I don’t think will outweigh the “trick” -defensive liabilities, decision making. I say all this after seeing him play twice so really im jumping the gun hahah but eh, im sure Monty will give him lots of chances to see what he can do. Sometimes it’s nice to irrationally not like a guy…so I guess Ian Mitchell is my guy. He really did show the positives the second half of the game though, so credit there.

Goalies did just fine.

Anyway give me some combo of Beecher, Lauko, Steen, McLaughlin over Chiasson, Heinen, Megna, Boqvist. Hope the younger guys get longer looks this year in the bottom 6! They brought a lot more energy/engagement than those vets who are fighting for the same spots.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
No harm in losing to a team that fielded a more experienced lineup on home ice, this is all about seeing who’s pushing for selection or simply putting down a marker for future years, especially amongst the youngsters.

In the battle for a center spot, Beecher is winning the race so far. Been consistently solid, making a good case for himself. Merkulov unfortunately didn’t do much. When he’s carrying the puck he looks ok, but he didn’t do much with it. Poitras was much better a couple of days ago, even though I don’t think he’s ready for the big time just yet.

McLaughlin has some maturity to his game, which he should by this point, does some smart things, but his offense isn’t quite convincing. Last preseason he pushed pretty hard to make the cut and arguably was unlucky to miss, but I’m not seeing that just yet this year. He’s in the mix, but not standing out, not to me anyway. Steen started quietly but was better in the 3rd. He’s got the tools, but still feels like he has more to prove to beat out some of the older guys.

Lauko was Lauko. Classic, modern 4th liner. Hard-working, puck hound, good foot speed. Needs to watch out with the penalties but no reason to think he shouldn’t be on the opening-night roster again.

Kuntar had some good flashes, has skilled hands and vision. Probably just needs to improve his consistency and all-round game.

Mast, Topo, nope.

Lohrei you can see the potential, but it’s still very much work-in-progress. Won’t threaten for a spot this year, but this is all good experience for him. Slow build as is often the case with big, lanky defenders.

Mitchell was another who got better as the game went on. He’s quite dynamic when he gets his legs moving. Needs to be a bit sounder defensively but he’s going to be thereabouts.

Heinen, you can see the NHL quality. Didn’t bring a ton of it here, but there were a few shifts where he made some really good plays. Not an amazing, ‘sign him right now’ game. But perhaps he doesn’t need to do that to earn a contract, given he’s a known quantity.

Overall not the greatest effort, some decent stretches, especially in the 3rd, but some guys perhaps weren't pushing to make a case for themselves as much as you would like to see. But there were still a few things to appreciate. Only two games in, but the preseason is short and the time to impress is small. Every opportunity is precious. Let's see what the next one throws up.

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Glad to see Lohrei's game ramp up after a rough start. He looked better and better as the game went on.

Mitchell caught my attention and then some. Could steal a spot if he continues like that.

Second solid game for Beecher. Making things happen. I always suspected his game was better suited to the NHL. Hope I'm right.

Was please with Lucic,Boqvist and Hienen.

Thought Chaisson would have looked better than he did.

The rest looked like AHL caliber players to me. Some of those Dmen really struggled , especially in the early goings.

Goaltending while not spectacular was decent. They're not all gonna be shutouts. Considering the Sabers iced a real 1st line , I thought they did ok.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Once they switched up merkulov and Boqvist the Heinen-Boqvist-Steen line was the best lime on the ice

Heinen had a heck of a third period and I’m sure Monty noticed as well - I would go with this

Heinen- Frederic- Geekie

Reactions: BMC

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
In the battle for a center spot, Beecher is winning the race so far.

Kuntar had some good flashes, has skilled hands and vision. Probably just needs to improve his consistency and all-round game.

Mitchell was another who got better as the game went on. He’s quite dynamic when he gets his legs moving. Needs to be a bit sounder defensively but he’s going to be thereabouts.
Yeah, Beecher is doing himself a lot of favors. Dude looks dialed in and taking Cam at his word about the best players in pre-season making the final roster.

Kuntar is an intriguing player. Watched him as close as I could tonight. I think he could end up being a good bottom six player in the NHL. Kid is strong and not afraid of much, combined with good skill.

Fingers crossed that Mitchell is a case of a late bloomer. He was as noticeable as any B tonight. Had no clue what to expect from him, but so far he looks like a pleasant surprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad