Post-Game Talk: PS 1A - Providence-Boston 2 Hershey-Washington 1 F SO

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
sounds like sweeney wants him playing in an offensive role this year. AHL is tough for kids
at 18 to do that, especially guys not considered elite talents like a pastrnak. of course, i have
no idea what kind of role he'd expect in czech - assume he's battling with older guys there too.
i'd rather he be in providence, much easier to track his development.

If you wan to develop him as an offensive minded Center for sure, that is not going to happen at the AHL level. Way to many players in front of him at C, and talent level is too high. And I am not sure ECHL is any better.

Even as a wing, you can only develop so many at a time, and providence will likely have Bjork, Cehlarik (maybe, but if not maybe Donato). You are likely going to see him getting the Senyshyn treatment at Providence with mostly 4th line duty

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
If you wan to develop him as an offensive minded Center for sure, that is not going to happen at the AHL level. Way to many players in front of him at C, and talent level is too high. And I am not sure ECHL is any better.

Even as a wing, you can only develop so many at a time, and providence will likely have Bjork, Cehlarik (maybe, but if not maybe Donato). You are likely going to see him getting the Senyshyn treatment at Providence with mostly 4th line duty

Depends on a couple of things I think?

Whether they want him to develop as a wing or center, and how does he look at camp and in games vs NHL and AHL players.

At least one of Frederic or JFK will be in PRO (both if Studnicka sticks). They also have Szwarz, Hughes, Cave, McNeil and Koppanen, who have all played center at one time or another. On the wing, you have Senyshyn, Fitz, Cehalrik or Bjork, Blidh, Kulman, and Bakos (maybe). As the previous poster just pointed out, this depth is likely the reason that Sweeney might prefer another year for Lauko overseas. The only way I want him in PRO is if his play in Camp tells you that this kid is absolutely ready for Top 6 AHL competition and will be better than the other options already signed.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Someone said they are both Matrix guys - they are a step ahead and slow everything down

They were like good college players playing with high school players

Heinen is one of the best passers I’ve ever seen to unoccupied spaces that a Bruins player is going

He’s me and boys litmus test to determine who understands hockey

I hate saying stuff like this, because it makes you sound like a hockey snob, but this seems to fit with Heinen. The people that don't like him appear to be the people that like flashy plays and big hits (highlight reel stuff), and the people that like him appear to be the ones that appreciate players who "do all the little things" the right way.

He looked faster yesterday than last year to me...but that could have just been because he was playing with Krejci :laugh:

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
I wondered if he could make good decisions or was just fast and able to outskate kids his own age into plays

He against a strong AHL quality team was very good - decent size, active, involved around puck whereas Senyshyn was watching around puck

Only a fool dismisses Senyshyn today.

Heinen had a similar observatory approach 2 years ago

They put him on one power play and I’m assuming that awaits him in AHL

In 100 days I will have a much better gauge

Lauko is in the scrum- and his decisions were impressive

Andersson I’m curious what coaches said because he looks like a first rounder to me

Agree with everything except Senyshyn. Extremely light on his skates, though fast, and doesn’t seem to have NHL smarts. Think Rico Fata. Hope I am wrong, not a great feeling about him. So hopefully I am a fool.

Andersson was impressive too. Mac was great, hope he gets a few more games against NHL talent to see if his great game translates.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I hate saying stuff like this, because it makes you sound like a hockey snob, but this seems to fit with Heinen. The people that don't like him appear to be the people that like flashy plays and big hits (highlight reel stuff), and the people that like him appear to be the ones that appreciate players who "do all the little things" the right way.

He looked faster yesterday than last year to me...but that could have just been because he was playing with Krejci :laugh:
He looked faster to me also but maybe because he was one of the few guys I could recognize. I didn’t know the majority of the guys in the lineup .

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I thought Lauzon looked awesome today btw. I didn't realize he was such a rover, he was all over the place.

I thought he was the best D on the ice. Got his pocket picked once and was beat wide on another occasion by a sudden burst of speed, but good decision making overall. Was physically engaged as well as offensively and defensively. Some people are higher on Zboril, but I still think Lauzon provides a better package of goods. Specifically his head for the game. Zboril will always have the effortless skating stride though. Hope they both start to see regular PP time in Providence this year.

Watching Chara on the PP was a little disturbing. The days of putting a heavy shooting defenseman who can't skate or handle the puck are gone. Fish out of water. Looked himself otherwise from his own blueline in.

Winnek was good. Not sure how he doesn't have a contract. Still has size, skating, and a good stick. Was havoc on the forecheck.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He looked faster to me also but maybe because he was one of the few guys I could recognize. I didn’t know the majority of the guys in the lineup .

It didn't help that the Caps announcers only rarely identified the Bruin's players :laugh:

The LW with DK and Heinen was Fitzgerald (#38 I believe).

Here is the box score from NHL.com with all the numbers in case you DVR'd and can watch again:

Washington Capitals - Boston Bruins - September 16th, 2018

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I thought he was the best D on the ice. Got his pocket picked once and was beat wide on another occasion by a sudden burst of speed, but good decision making overall. Was physically engaged as well as offensively and defensively. Some people are higher on Zboril, but I still think Lauzon provides a better package of goods. Specifically his head for the game. Zboril will always have the effortless skating stride though. Hope they both start to see regular PP time in Providence this year.

Watching Chara on the PP was a little disturbing. The days of putting a heavy shooting defenseman who can't skate or handle the puck are gone. Fish out of water. Looked himself otherwise from his own blueline in.

Winnek was good. Not sure how he doesn't have a contract. Still has size, skating, and a good stick. Was havoc on the forecheck.

You have to factor in the level of competition, but the thing about Winnik that impressed me yesterday was his skating. Moves quite well for a guy 6'2 210.

I'm not sure there is room for him, but I'd gladly be rid of Acciari and sign Winnik to a 1-year deal.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
You have to factor in the level of competition, but the thing about Winnik that impressed me yesterday was his skating. Moves quite well for a guy 6'2 210.

I'm not sure there is room for him, but I'd gladly be rid of Acciari and sign Winnik to a 1-year deal.

can we get rid of the 2 year/$2M nordstrom and sign winnik for 1 year at minimum cap?
that'd be nice :)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'd take 1-year Winnik over 2-year Nordstrom.

I'd take both over Acciari by a considerable margin.

I want the player who`ll bring the most on a consistent basis, if that`s Winnik for the league minimum or Nordstrom for a few hundred thousand more then so be it.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I want the player who`ll bring the most on a consistent basis, if that`s Winnik for the league minimum or Nordstrom for a few hundred thousand more then so be it.

i know points aren't the be-all, end-all, but let's take a look at last season:

winnik: 23 points in 81 games
nordstrom: 7 points in 75 games

winnik is 33 and nordstrom is 26, but at what point will the pro scouting department
get blasted for their horrendous suggestions to management? how does a 7 point guy
rate a 2 year deal for $1M per year? magnum, le tigre, blue steel? it's all the same look!

Reactions: BruinDust

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
i know points aren't the be-all, end-all, but let's take a look at last season:

winnik: 23 points in 81 games
nordstrom: 7 points in 75 games

winnik is 33 and nordstrom is 26, but at what point will the pro scouting department
get blasted for their horrendous suggestions to management? how does a 7 point guy
rate a 2 year deal for $1M per year? magnum, le tigre, blue steel? it's all the same look!

I`ve been one who has more than contributed about my concern about the pro scouting here. I understand the pts thing, and see what you are suggesting however, let`s also not just push aside the fact that Nordstrom played for the Canes, an absolutely awful team, Winnik on a deeper Wild team.

I`m not ready to toss Nordstrom aside in favor of Winnik just yet until we see JN play in Cassidy`s system which I would suggest offers players a good opportunity to create some offensive chances.

At the end of the day, we shall see what happens by the end of camp. I like Winnik having seen him play far more than Nordstrom who I`m not sure I`ve ever seen play.

A few yrs ago having a peek at stats it appears Nordstrom posted 24 pts with 10 goals so maybe there`s more there than we are seeing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad