Provided we make the playoffs, who do you want to face in the first round?

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
The playoffs are getting closer and despite the Wings recent struggles one has to like their chances to make the playoffs. This begs the question "In your mind what's your ideal 1st round matchup?"

For simplicity this thread isn't covering teams like Washington or Pittsburgh as the odds of us meeting them in the 1st round is pretty low.

Here are the current stats for the Wings for comparisons sake.

2.87 Goals Per Game (8th)
2.56 Goals Against Per Game (14th)
Powerplay 25.1% (2nd)
Penalty Kill 81.2% (15th)

-------------

Montreal- 2.57 Goals Per Game (22nd).
2.17 Goals Against Per Game (1st)
Powerplays 15.9% (28th)
Penalty Kill 84.4% (6th)
X-Factor: Carey Price

----

Tampa Bay
3.21 Goals Per Game (1st)
2.52 Goals Against Per Game (12th)
Powerplays 18.4% (15th)
Penalty Kill 83.2% (9th)
X-factor: Stamkos, potent offense. Experience?
----

Boston
2.62 Goals Per Game (19th)
2.46 Goals Against Per Game (10th)
Powerplay 17.5% (19th)
Penalty Kill 81.6% (13th)
X-Factor: Gritty, difficult to play against. Very experienced.
----

Rangers
2.96 Goals Per Game (5th)
2.23 Goals Against Per Game (3rd)
Powerplay 17.4% (20th)
Penalty Kill 83.7% (8th)
X-Factor: The hunger from reaching the finals last season. When Lundqvist returns will he be up to snuff?
-----

Islanders
2.99 Goals Per Game (3rd)
2.78 Goals Against Per Game (24th)
Powerplay 18.2% (17th)
Penalty Kill 77.2% (28th)
X-Factor: Experience
-------------

Obviously there are plenty more stats we could look at, but this gives us a general baseline to look at. I may add some more detailed statistics and whatnot when I'm not typing up this on a phone.

Also I tried to add a poll, but couldn't find the option. Ideally a mod will be able to add one retroactively but if not either way I think it is time for this discussion. What teams do you feel we match up best against? Which teams have our number? Should we just miss the playoffs and pray for McDavid? Who knows.

Last edited:

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
honestly there is no easy match up for Wings in my opinion. I'm sure 9 out of 10 fans will agree

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
On paper the islanders look like a favorable matchup but they have owned the wings as of late.

In fact everyone of those teams have been beating up on the wings lately. Give me Pitt or Washington but we know that is not going to happen.

The wings are going to miss the playoffs or are going to back their way in and get tossed in five no matter which of those teams they play.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
In regard to the aforementioned teams, there is no single one against whom we can really claim to match up great. Bad record vs. Bolts and Habs, problems with the Bruins' physical game, Islanders making it hard for us to play well against them, Rangers mostly being too strong. Considering our record vs. western teams this seasons, it's quite the irony to be in the east right now. Won't be surprised to see another 1st round exit if our team isn't starting to get their **** together and show up again.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Aren't Montreal and Tampa the only realistic options? In that case I choose neither.

I'm not super well versed in exactly how the wild card race works, but whoever wins the Metropolitan Division is a possibility as they will play one of the wild card teams regardless of division. If the wings continue to falter and find themselves in a wild-card spot they may end up playing either the Rangers or the Islanders, but probably the Rangers as they have a commanding lead on the division.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
To have any chance of getting past the first round I'd say NYR in the WC spot. Ben Bishop owns us and not one player on our team has figured out how to beat him. Carey Price doesn't look to be breaking down any time soon either and Babcock-****face Terrien hockey would really suck the will to live out of me. We did ok against Talbot and maybe Lundy will have missed too much with his neck injury so he might not be solid. If we stay in the Atlantic we are not getting out of the first round at all.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
I agree there is not much to look forward to in terms of first round matchup; however, if I'm being forced to pick my poison I woild say Montreal.

Their biggest weakness is offense and ours is defense. The difference maker in thay series is Price, but if the wings can play to their strength and continue to limit opportunities against a weak Montreal offense I think that they could pull it off in a 7 game series. Price won't be easy to beat by any stretch of the imagination, but we're more likely to be involved in 1 goal games against Montreal than any other team I think... Just have to be fortunate and land on the right side of those bounces.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Aren't Montreal and Tampa the only realistic options? In that case I choose neither.

I'd take Montreal. It's been so long since we've faced them in the playoffs and honestly it's looking like we will go through a long stretch after this year where we will miss the playoffs. So let's get in one more nostalgic playoff series and hope we can pull off the upset. Otherwise there's a good chance we will not have a chance to face the Habs in a playoff series for another 5+ years.

Stevie kicking our arses yet again would just be uncomfortable for everyone involved. So let the Habs try to deliver the kill shot. :nod:

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Looking at the playoff odds website. After tonight's loss... Detroit has a 97% chance to make the playoffs.

50% chance to meet TB.
40% chance to meet Mon.
5% Rangers.

So, TB or Habs. No easy options there. I'd say bring the Habs.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
If they get hot they can play with all of them. If they play like they are now, doesn't matter. I'm not taking the Wings against any team that is bigger in a seven game series anyways.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i don't really care that much who wings face. i guess i'd slightly prefer to face habs.

east is very tight this year and all matchups have their advantages and disadvantages. everyone of them can expose wings weaknesses. reason to avoid matchup would be that they are very physical and can grind you down but none of them really is that and one of the heaviest team in the league, caps, is unlikely (impossible?) matchup at this point.

tampa is better than habs in pretty much every area. habs are more experienced and have better goalie. i think conservative coach like babs doesn't have as big edge against therrien as more offensive-minded coach would have. this team also sucks at goal scoring outside powerplay, so facing the best player this season could spell big trouble.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
This thread really angers me. We have lost 7 of 8 games, how about we focus n actually winning a hockey game and making the playoffs???

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Can we just get a bye?

We have sucked against the Atlantic and I don't know how the team will fare against anyone in the Metro, either.

Bleh.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
I'd prefer Montreal over Tampa. I feel that Tampa is the better team outside of goaltending, and if Price ever comes back to earth, the Habs are more of a wildcard caliber team.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
If it wasn't for Price I would have no problems with seeing Montreal. It could be a very frustrating series for the Wing's with Price stealing the games we could have won.

I would have to go with the Islanders for sure. They give up a lot of goals and I think Detroit will contain their offense and force them to play honest hockey. I just don't see the Islanders doing well in the playoffs this year given their style of play and not an overly impressive line up.

Tampa is somewhat of a similar comparison but Tampas ability to score is much greater and they don't give up as many goals. They could be much harder to contain and keep off the score sheet. I wouldn't want to be the first team to try and puzzle together the winning formula. I could see these guys overwhelming a team right out of the gate with their offense going up 2-0 and being very difficult to make up ground.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
islanders we can beat based on experience

thats about it at this point

bruins and caps play a heavy style our defence folds against

habs have the best player in the world right in their net(he is my hart trophy winner)

tampa and the rangers are just so much better and deeper than us

penguins would be a good matchup i suppose

so most likely we will play tampa, montreal or the nyr and none of those is ideal

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
BinCookin, use the YouTube tag and only place the video code in the brackets. Everything after the equal sign. In your instance, s2R2sH2ScBM. So (yt)s2R2sH2ScBM(/yt). But with brackets.

As for the question, doesn't much matter. Team needs to focus on playing better hockey or any opponent will run them over.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Well there are only two teams Detroit can realistically play; the Habs and the Bolts. Of those two I think the Habs would be the more entertaining matchup, original 6, etc. But with the way Detroit has been playing I wouldn't bet the farm on Detroit against either of them.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Doesn't matter. If they make it, likely opponents are either Rangers, Bolts, or Habs, neither of which I think the Wings matchup well against...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad