Protection Lists are made public!!!!!!!

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Ryan has a huge cap hit, his goals are replacable by cheaper options like Smith/Masscherault/Perron. Same with Moulson and his $5 M cap hit to a lesser extent.

Brown's contract is lunacy and the team will have no problem getting to the cap floor...the most we'd get for to take him would be a 1st round pick and not worth it considering his term.

Plekanec's cap hit is higher than what our #1C would be making and Plekanec shouldn't even be in the top-six.

Bogosian's got a $5 M cap hit and is worse than some cheaper options available or the same....they can draft four dmen with a cheaper cap hit than Bogosian and I think Methot would be the only one older in age to Bogosian.

Agreed, draft Mrazek who's $1.5 M cheaper along with Raanta and a young guy like Korpisalo or Ullmark and avoid the Fleury contract/cap hit and use that money wisely in the future. Getting Rust might be an actual bargain unlike some of the other cap hit.

Agree on all points. Perron is better than Ryan right now, and making less than half he is. Perron and Neal on the left wing top 6 slots is enough lead feet as it is, adding Ryan on the other side will make a molasses line. Thats not how you win in the current era NHL.

Plekanec has declined HARD, and its not going to stop. Stay away, far away. That is, unless MTL pays us to take him. There are no real great options to take from them, so if they give up some picks / prospects it might work out.

Brown, I'm conflicted. I read he had somewhat of a resurgence last year after a couple down years. If LA pays the 11th pick, plus more picks / and or prospects, I might be enticed. McNabb is a good pick though, so the price to take Brown should be extremely steep.

I had no idea Bogo was making 6 mil a year with a cap hit of 5.1!!! Stay away, far away. I wouldnt even take picks / prospects attached to that mess.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
For what it's worth I believe Bogosian is the active career leader with most NHL games played (534) vs zero playoff games.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Neal is always taking stupid penalties and is an overall nasty player. If he's not matched up with a quality center, he's useless.

I know about the dirty stuff, but the guy can flat out score.

He has scored 20 goals every single year of his career so far with a 30+ year, and a 40 goal year.

Nobody else has that ability that will be an option for Vegas.

You take him how he is, even with the bad.

Hes a top end offensive talent, which Vegas will need in a bad way.

If he doesn't work out, you trade him at the deadline for a 1st.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Staal doesn't have a lot of good years left in him. He's not gonna be some savior of a 2c.

Staal is the best choice if this team intends to be competitive off the bat. On paper, the Wild has some younger defenseman who are worth more, but there is no other center available in the draft of Staal's caliber. Staal can still be a low end 1st line producing big Western conference type center.

When there are so few of those available to Vegas, the value of the one available might trump a good young top 4 defender when oodles of top 4 defenders are out there.

Bonus points if Vegas can manage to get Staal while also putting on a poker face and getting an asset not to touch any of the Wild's defenders.

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
Subban isn't that good. He's an AHLer for life.

Agreed. Subban is a great athlete, but has been atrocious in Boston during his few call-ups and had a down year in Providence. McIntyre has passed him on the depth chart.

If Vegas takes anyone from Boston, it will be defenseman Colin Miller. He blossomed this past season, and was our #3 for long stretches of the season. His play stagnated a bit towards the end of the season, but he's young and is a good skater and passer. He can definitely fit into an up tempo, transition team. He's a guy who can be a solid #3-#6 (depending on depth) for years to come.

Beyond that, Boston doesn't have anyone really worth taking.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'd be fine with Staal just because I think that his contract is cheapish/short and there aren't many better 2C options exposed. He's become a bit of a floater and lost his 2-way game around 2011 (maybe he got it back I didn't watch the Wild much last year).

The problem with him though is that if Minnesota really left Dumba or Scandella exposed then they're both better options than Staal.

I'm not really that worried about the 2C. It won't be a very good player, it'll be a slightly below mediocre one excluding trades but as long as he isn't overpaid or on a bad contract then I'm fine.

Btw, who's the SJ guy? I saw lists with Bdker but I go with Joel Ward who's a lot more versatile. Bdker is a tweener that isn't good enough for the top six and we can't use him in a bottom six role, Ward I believe kills penalties too and has a slightly lower cap hit.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
I know about the dirty stuff, but the guy can flat out score.

He has scored 20 goals every single year of his career so far with a 30+ year, and a 40 goal year.

Nobody else has that ability that will be an option for Vegas.

You take him how he is, even with the bad.

Hes a top end offensive talent, which Vegas will need in a bad way.

If he doesn't work out, you trade him at the deadline for a 1st.

I know he didn't have his best year this season, but I think his skill set is on the decline. I know he's only 29, but that's the feeling I get.
In all honesty though, Vegas could have worse decisions to make...haha.

NY2LV

Apr 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I'd be fine with Staal just because I think that his contract is cheapish/short and there aren't many better 2C options exposed. He's become a bit of a floater and lost his 2-way game around 2011 (maybe he got it back I didn't watch the Wild much last year).

The problem with him though is that if Minnesota really left Dumba or Scandella exposed then they're both better options than Staal.

I'm not really that worried about the 2C. It won't be a very good player, it'll be a slightly below mediocre one excluding trades but as long as he isn't overpaid or on a bad contract then I'm fine.

Btw, who's the SJ guy? I saw lists with Bdker but I go with Joel Ward who's a lot more versatile. Bdker is a tweener that isn't good enough for the top six and we can't use him in a bottom six role, Ward I believe kills penalties too and has a slightly lower cap hit.

Really like Joel Ward! Can come in and bring some leadership and show the future younger players how to work. He's an ideal 3rd line wing.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Maybe there was a side deal already between MIN and VEG. Basically the premise being that MIN trading Dumba hurts them both because VEG doesn't get Dumba and MIN has to trade him when they don't want to. So instead of MIN trading Dumba, they give up a future first and leave Staal exposed.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Maybe there was a side deal already between MIN and VEG. Basically the premise being that MIN trading Dumba hurts them both because VEG doesn't get Dumba and MIN has to trade him when they don't want to. So instead of MIN trading Dumba, they give up a future first and leave Staal exposed.

Multiple media sources reporting no Minny deal was done.

NY2LV

Apr 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV

Hopefully not! Really don't want Staal over Dumba unless they give us some major assets.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Really like Joel Ward! Can come in and bring some leadership and show the future younger players how to work. He's an ideal 3rd line wing.

I'd take ward over Boedker all day. I'm a yotes fan and have seen way too much of Boedker. Lots of talent, but he just doesn't use it effectively.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada

I find it funny how the media is talking about guys like Plekanec or Brown being needed for veteran leadership which makes no sense because are we even gonna have any rookies on the starting roster lol? Maybe if they draft Vilardi or Mittelstadt and feel they're ready but I doubt it, at most there would be two rookies via call-ups.

The entire team is gonna be vets and there's no shortage of guys in their early 30s so veteran leadership should definitely not be the reason to pick one player over the other. I just think Ward is a far more useful fwd than Bdker so I draft him but the leadership point doesn't matter to me here.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Staal is the best choice if this team intends to be competitive off the bat. On paper, the Wild has some younger defenseman who are worth more, but there is no other center available in the draft of Staal's caliber. Staal can still be a low end 1st line producing big Western conference type center.

When there are so few of those available to Vegas, the value of the one available might trump a good young top 4 defender when oodles of top 4 defenders are out there.

Bonus points if Vegas can manage to get Staal while also putting on a poker face and getting an asset not to touch any of the Wild's defenders.

This team should not pass the chance on a free asset that could last them a decade for the slim slim chance that Staal is good enough to make them kinda good cause kinda good is the best we can hope for.

Imagine how stupid it would look if Staal ends up only producing 30 points or lower and we passed on Dumba. Even if he ends up being a solid 2c, we only get that for 2-3 years at best. Why not flip Dumba and a goalie for a 2c or something?

Last edited:

NY2LV

Apr 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I find it funny how the media is talking about guys like Plekanec or Brown being needed for veteran leadership which makes no sense because are we even gonna have any rookies on the starting roster lol? Maybe if they draft Vilardi or Mittelstadt and feel they're ready but I doubt it, at most there would be two rookies via call-ups.

The entire team is gonna be vets and there's no shortage of guys in their early 30s so veteran leadership should definitely not be the reason to pick one player over the other. I just think Ward is a far more useful fwd than Bdker so I draft him but the leadership point doesn't matter to me here.

It's just a bonus I was pointing out, I've just always liked Ward's game and he could be a good on the 3rd line for the next season or two.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

I'd take ward over Boedker all day. I'm a yotes fan and have seen way too much of Boedker. Lots of talent, but he just doesn't use it effectively.

Ward is 36. Boedker is 27.

How much longer with Ward be able to play at high level?

Ward is a "glue guy" moreso than a leader. But GMGM does have a history.

Schlemko is a top pick per Sharks fans (based on performance/$$).

Dillon and Boedker are the guys Sharks fans hope get picked to clear some cap space.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Multiple media sources reporting no Minny deal was done.

There's also this from Russo today:

However, even though I’d think Staal would be tempting for Vegas to make its first captain or for another team in need of a center to persuade Vegas to draft and flip, Fletcher has always said part of his exposure strategy may be leaving somebody unprotected he is fairly certain Vegas would not take.

I have got to think the Wild’s convinced there’s no way Vegas won’t take a top-four defenseman, whether that be Dumba, Scandella or even Olofsson.

I’m told by somebody close to Staal that this is what Fletcher explained to him Saturday, and Staal is confident he will remain with Minnesota.

I'm sure Fletcher doesn't know either, but he's at least been in talks with McPhee and should have some kind of idea of what Vegas is thinking.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
As a Pens fan Inhope you guys take Fleury instead of Rust. Pretty sure the Pens would need to give up an asset to make that happen though. Rust is a solid second liner who can play both sides.

carts10

Jun 18, 2017
Wild fan popping in...

Curious to hear what Vegas fans' preferences are when it comes to Erik Staal vs. Matt Dumba being exposed.

Who do you prefer and why?

I wouldn't be surprised if they went with either dumba, staal, scandella, or haula
Also a wild fan, personally I think Vegas will either pick dumba or haula because they are looking to be a younger team vs an older team that gets a couple extra wins

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I tried the expansion draft tool at tsn and found it very hard to decide on whom to take from

:isles :panthers and :wild

An embarrassment of riches!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad