Protect your players!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
An NMC prevents BOTH trades and getting buried in the AHL without the players' consent. A full NMC or full NTC would require a player waive their clause to get traded anywhere. If you get a full NMC, you don't have to move if you don't want to. It gives the player full power. They can CHOSE to waive it, but the ball is in their court. It's not "some control," it's veto power over any movement.

I know what they are. I don't know of a player that waived his NMC for assignment to the minors. I know of many that have waived to be traded.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I know what they are. I don't know of a player that waived his NMC for assignment to the minors. I know of many that have waived to be traded.

If they're waiving, they still have control. Nobody is forcing them to wave. I'm totally confused as to your point here. How does Eric Staal (or whoever) choosing to waive their NMC dissuade a future player from wanting to get a NMC?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Why are we obsessing over a NMC? You have credible information that Oshie is demanding or expecting that, or do you just believe that's specifically a driving force in his decision?

im not worried about Oshie's play dropping off so much that he's a waiver cut move late in his career.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I would not protect Eller. Eller being gone means we get to keep Schmidt and some cap space to sign the desired player. Also, that actually doesn't mean Vegas will take Eller, I consider a possibility of it as very low.

So I'd protect Ovi, Backstrom, Kuzy, Bura, Johansson, Wilson and... I don't know even :P I think none of the forwards left are gonna be picked.

Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov.

Exposed guys: Gruby, Orpik, Schmidt, Chorney, Alzner (UFA), Oshie (UFA), Williams (UFA), Eller (1 year left), Connolly (unknown status), Beagle (1 year left), Winnik (UFA), whoever else (minus 1 F they choose to protect).

Such a meh unprotected list actually. We are in good shape here :D

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If they're waiving, they still have control. Nobody is forcing them to wave. I'm totally confused as to your point here. How does Eric Staal (or whoever) choosing to waive their NMC dissuade a future player from wanting to get a NMC?

Who said that future players wouldn't want a ntc/nmc? I am saying that they don't carry the same weight as they used to. my point was talking about Oshie. If he wants a full NTC/NMC, then he is leaving because he wont get better than what Ovechkin and Backstrom have. If he wants to stay, he will have to compromise from the best contract the open market would bring him. I am not sure why that is confusing

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Who said that future players wouldn't want a ntc/nmc? I am saying that they don't carry the same weight as they used to. my point was talking about Oshie. If he wants a full NTC/NMC, then he is leaving because he wont get better than what Ovechkin and Backstrom have. If he wants to stay, he will have to compromise from the best contract the open market would bring him. I am not sure why that is confusing

What is your confusing is your continued claim that NMC/NTC don't "carry the same weight" and "only gives them some control." Literally nothing has changed about NMCs or NTCs since the previous CBA. They still offer players the same powers they did before.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
maybe I remember this totally wrong, but it used to be that players with no trade clauses didn't get traded. the teams found that they could force the issue. the no movement clause was created because teams that couldn't trade a player could send him to the AHL.

deadpenguin

Mar 27, 2017
Goalie: Holts
Defensemen: Niskanen, Carlson, Alzner. Alzner is a bit overrrated to this team but orlov is such a wildcard i wouldnt be opposed to losing him. he has the potential to be a stud but ****s up so much on defense, i wanna see a guy like bowey in his place
Forwards:Ovi, Backstrom. Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Oshie, Wilson, Beags

Say what you will about the forwards but kuz/bura are our future. I believe in wilson to have a value that most teams cant boast and beags is one of the most underrated players on this team bar none. What a stud 4th line center, honestly

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Protecting your stud 4th line center over the 3rd line center that pushes that 4th line center to the 4th line?

Also exposing Johansson and Orlov. lol

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
No idea why some would leave Johansson unprotected. That's just mind-boggling. He's 14th in scoring among LW's which makes him top-line winger on most NHL teams. Leave him exposed and he's without a doubt taken and would be the best forward in that Vegas team by a mile next season.

For comparison. Lots of people here wanted to add JvR at the trade deadline. He makes about the same $ as Johansson makes right now, has 1 point more than him, and Johansson is much better defensive player who actually impacts the games where he isn't necessarily scoring.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
MoJo is great at entering the zone, has a very clever pass and does really well on the PP. Love the guy. Insta-protect sort of player

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
There are people that just don't like Johasson and think is contributions are overrated and he is overpayed. I think many would be surprised to find 90 is tied for 3rd in points with 92 and has 5 more goals in the process. I don't think that will ever change.

3rd line/4th line center. Beagle has outscored Eller. He has scored more goals than Eller. Beagle is 10 percentage points better in the faceoff circle than Eller. I honestly don't think Eller has pushed Beagle anywhere. Quite to the contrary

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It's fair to criticize Johansson's even strength play IMO. He's very much a complementary player at ES and of late he's been a big part of the reason why the second line has struggled.

That being said, he provides tremendous value to the PP and he should absolutely be protected in the draft.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think Kuzy has been the best player on that line by far, but no I'm not really happy with his play either. Good try putting words in my mouth though.

I'm specifically disappointed that despite playing alongside one of the best playmakers on the team in Kuzy for most of the season, Johansson's SOG/60 at even strength is dead last on the entire team. That'd be ok if he himself was an exceptional playmaker like Backstrom or Joe Thornton but at ES he really isn't (again, the PP is a different story). That pretty much leaves Williams as the primary shooter on that line and you can maybe see why that line is struggling a bit unless Williams gets hot again.

Basically Johansson will never wow you. Even players like Eller, Burakovsky, Winnik, Wilson, and Beagle find ways to dominate at ES at times. Johansson never does. And that's fine given his skill set on the PP which is top notch. But let's not pretend he's a great ES player.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think Kuzy has been the best player on that line by far, but no I'm not really happy with his play either. Good try putting words in my mouth though..

Johansson has 14 pts in his last 10. Kuzy has 6. I see Johansson carrying the puck and winning board battles. I see Kuzy making bad choices and bad passes and giving up the puck. I saw 90 get credit for a goal because he was standing in front of the net and it hit him.

Kuzy has not been the best player on that line at all much less by far.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
You're confusing PP success for ES success. I already said Johansson's been fantastic on the PP. Their production at ES has been poor and I'm not really seeing the same things as you. I'm seeing Kuzy trying too hard to maybe do things on his own but I'm also seeing Kuzy's wingers not doing a good enough job finishing the chances that he does create. Williams has been very bad and Johansson hasn't shot enough IMO.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Mojo is top-50 forward scoring wise right now. If you would like to exclude PP - goes down a bit, AFAIR to about top-65 F or smth. This is pretty good I think. A big step forward for MJ. You would be surprised to see some of the names near him in that table.

BUT! That useless Kuzy guy is still ahead of Mojo in ESP and is 2nd for Caps (not far behind 19).

Also I think we got a little break with Bura's low scoring pace. He has to be protected obviously, but won't cost as much as some thought (I'm sure some folks projected 20+ G numbers).

Maybe it's a part of the plan to not overload Kuzy and Bura with PP production before signing new contracts. Would be wise if so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad