Proteau picks Kings in 7! And Series Poll...

Who will win the Kings vs, the Oinklers 2024 playoff series, in how many games?

• 1. Kings in 4

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • 2. Kings in 5

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 3. Kings in 6

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • 4. King in 7

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • 5. Oilers in 4

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 6. Oilers in 5

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • 7. Oilers in 6

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • 8. Oilers in 7

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Oilers in 6, again.

The Kings have to make this a 3-2 and 2-1 type of series, and it's just tough to do when you have one guy on the other side alone who has 10 multi-point games out of 13 vs the Kings the last two playoffs. If the Kings can hold McDavid to a point-per-game, they have a fighters chance, but you can't let him account for 2 goals alone and then expect to just completely shut everyone else down.

Two big ways that an inferior team can win a playoff series is from exceptional goaltending, or your best players out-dueling . Tough to see either happening in this series.

Muzz, you should have made the poll public.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
You have to force the Oilers into a situation where they overplay McDavid making him more tired and less effective as the game goes on.

I've seen that happen to him many times in the playoffs. He averaged almost 24min in last years playoffs.

Kane is injured and McDavid is coming off an injury as well.

Oilers in 6 in the most likely outcome IMO, but an upset here isn't impossible.

If Talbot shows any signs of weakness, I would put in Rittich.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
You have to force the Oilers into a situation where they overplay McDavid making him more tired and less effective as the game goes on.

I've seen that happen to him many times in the playoffs. He averaged almost 24min in last years playoffs.

Kane is injured and McDavid is coming off an injury as well.

Oilers in 6 in the most likely outcome IMO, but an upset here isn't impossible.

If Talbot shows any signs of weakness, I would put in Rittich.

This is true, but as has happened the previous two years it will benefit the teams that see EDM in the later rounds.

They have been on the ropes a bit vs the Kings, and everytime they played him 25 mins a game the Kings had no answer. They will do it again if they feel threatened, it’ll work in the short term but hurt them later on.

That is why I wanted nothing to do with these guys in Round 1.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This is true, but as has happened the previous two years it will benefit the teams that see EDM in the later rounds.

They have been on the ropes a bit vs the Kings, and everytime they played him 25 mins a game the Kings had no answer. They will do it again if they feel threatened, it’ll work in the short term but hurt them later on.

In game 6 in 2021, if Hyman doesn't score that goal late in the 3rd I think LA wins the series. McDrai was dead tired.

It's amazing the Kings got as far as they did in both series against Edmonton. The problem for LA was that in both series they really only had two functioning forward lines. It was killing them. And in addition to that last year the 3rd D pairing was unplayable.

That's why the Kings went out and got another center, because the lack of center was holding them back from having more than two lines they could comfortably play against Edmonton.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I picked Kings in six because that's the last potential home game.

Some good insights above.

An interesting note , unlike previous series the Kings have their complete roster, as the media have noted.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

The only way the Kings have a chance in this series is if they actually play physical.
Mikey needs to hit McDavid and do it often.
PLD needs to step up
The goaltenders need to steal a game or four

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Oilers in 6, again.

The Kings have to make this a 3-2 and 2-1 type of series, and it's just tough to do when you have one guy on the other side alone who has 10 multi-point games out of 13 vs the Kings the last two playoffs. If the Kings can hold McDavid to a point-per-game, they have a fighters chance, but you can't let him account for 2 goals alone and then expect to just completely shut everyone else down.

Two big ways that an inferior team can win a playoff series is from exceptional goaltending, or your best players out-dueling . Tough to see either happening in this series.

Muzz, you should have made the poll public.

It is public and I just unignored you.

rapots

Oct 23, 2006
Ruse
profile.myspace.com
I vote for Kings in 6. Yeah it's sort of biased prediction, but Kings are in better shape as last year, Oils will be without Kane, maybe even whole series and he always played great against Kings. Kings will have to be physical on their best players.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I have no idea how this series is gonna turn out. It's a close one, which is why I went with Kings in 7. Kings with 20 regulation wins in 34 games after the break (with Hiller) and Oilers with 20 regulation wins in 37 games after the break. Kings 63.2 point percentage is 8th in the league after the break; Oilers 60.8% 12th in the league. Two good teams, only one winner.

Head to head the Kings played well 5 on 5 against the Oilers, but got beat on the penalty kill and 4 on 4. Discipline will be key, again. Also avoid getting into 4 on 4 situations, when McDavid and Draisaitle can absolutely dismantle your defense.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Went Oilers in 6. I don't think this team has the mental toughness, or coaching to win a series against any team especially the Oilers.

Even if they push them to the verge of elimination they'll sit back and play passively and that will be their downfall.

Reactions: steepdrop

rapots

Oct 23, 2006
Ruse
profile.myspace.com
Went Oilers in 6. I don't think this team has the mental toughness, or coaching to win a series against any team especially the Oilers.

Even if they push them to the verge of elimination they'll sit back and play passively and that will be their downfall.
Yeah, under Tmac that would be the case, Hiller might be smarter, if avoids running 11-7 lines

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Yeah, under Tmac that would be the case, Hiller might be smarter, if avoids running 11-7 lines

I mean not really and you only have to look back one game to see an example. Kings got up 3-1 on the Hawks and start playing not to lose... Whoops suddenly 4-3 Hawks and the Kings have to come from behind. They did this exact same thing against Edmonton last year and look what happened.

As soon as the Kings start playing not to lose, and let McDavid, and Draisatl hang onto the puck with space the Kings lose the series.

There's been no evidence since Hiller took over that the Kings won't do exactly that once they get a lead since they did it in game 82.

Reactions: Schrute farms

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kings with 20 regulation wins in 34 games after the break (with Hiller) and Oilers with 20 regulation wins in 37 games after the break. Kings 63.2 point percentage is 8th in the league after the break; Oilers 60.8% 12th in the league. Two good teams, only one winner.
I like your take, but it can be countered by saying:

Oilers went 46-18-5 after the coaching change. That's #1 in the NHL. 0.703 P%

Head to head the Kings played well 5 on 5 against the Oilers, but got beat on the penalty kill and 4 on 4. Discipline will be key, again. Also avoid getting into 4 on 4 situations, when McDavid and Draisaitle can absolutely dismantle your defense.
They've played 25 times over the past 3 seasons. Oilers have won 16, Kings have won 9. I think that ratio of Oilers to Kings wins will hold up.

Kings have a chance though. They're fully healthy this time.

McDavid tweaked something in his lower body. He says he's fully healthy, but they sat him for a week, including that division deciding game against Vancouver. So it couldn't have been nothing. He's played two games since coming back and his TOI was much lower than his season average.

Reactions: lumbergh

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I like your take, but it can be countered by saying:

Oilers went 46-18-5 after the coaching change. That's #1 in the NHL. 0.703 P%

They've played 25 times over the past 3 seasons. Oilers have won 16, Kings have won 9. I think that ratio of Oilers to Kings wins will hold up.

Kings have a chance though. They're fully healthy this time.

McDavid tweaked something in his lower body. He says he's fully healthy, but they sat him for a week, including that division deciding game against Vancouver. So it couldn't have been nothing. He's played two games since coming back and his TOI was much lower than his season average.
Agreed. I like using the ASB as a good line in the sand. Takes into account the trade deadline. More apples to apples comparison.

Hard to underestimate the importance of health on the performance of a team. The Kings being at full health is a key factor. The McDavid injury might be nothing, might be something. Well just have to see tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad