Prospects' potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
I can only go by the players that i have seen and that Boyle and Pushkaryev

Boyle: He was a project from the begginning now does he have to potential to make the NHL HF has him at 8C meaning he may make it to be a 1st line center. From what i have seen i mean the guy is 6'7 or something like that for his size he is handling himself amazingly well. Since last year he has improved immensilly i remember his first year in college he barelly played and had problems with his size via skating. By the end of last season though he really started doing well and standing out taking over the team when Eaves went down and carried his team to the finals in his tournament won and was awarded MVP. If you go with all players his size Bertuzzi, Chara, etc he still has few more years before NHL but i think he is highly underrated and has the potential to be like a Bertuzzi (Really good 1st liner). Only thing he needs to learn which he started to show at the end of the season a little more is using his size

Pushkaryev: He has the offensive potential to be in the NHL for sure. I can remember draft day there were several teams trying to trade up apparently to get this guy due to his offense. Right now playing in the WHL with Getzlaf every once in a while he did quite well for his rookie year. His problem isnt offense he is an AMAZING stick handler yet forget about defense way to much. If he can work on his defense and keep improving how he has been i can see him being like Ladislav Nagy the best comperison i've heard.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
BobMarleyNYR said:
How do you feel each of these guys CAN perform at the NHL level insofar as potential

Brian Boyle-Boyle had a good year, played his heart out and performed well. If he keeps developing he's going to be at least a 2nd line PF.

Alexei Shkotov- Didn't like him as a junior, thought he'd have a hard time turning pro. Had an off year, got injured, and played timid. #'s weren't AHL level.

Konstantin Glazachev-I haven't heard much since he was drafted, if someone would like to fill me in?

" Pushkaryev-Supposed to be like Grigorenko. Excellent skills that haven't dominated in junior yet, if ever. I think he would have been better off developing in Europe, kinda stagnated. Boom or bust, but right now i'm leaning more torwards bust. Letshope he can break out.

Derek Roy- 2nd-3rd line guy, plays with heart. He will play in the NHL just because of his desire. I see him topping out at around 20g-20a on average, maybe a little less.

Marek Svatos- Kinda unimpressed with his play this year. The 2 times i saw him he looked bored. He surely has the skills, the desire was there before this year, so i dont know what happened. Maybe he wanted to be in the NHL, but he should have produced more with thos skills. 2nd liner if he picks it up, bust if he can't.

Brendan Bochenski. Didn't really see him play. Can't comment.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Derek Roy - I can only speak about his time in Buffalo, but I was very impressed with his play. He was very creative offensively [one stickhandling incident in particular comes to mind, with Roy stationary, down on both knees, playing the puck out to his toe and then back to his stick :eek: ], and very fast. His defensive game was solid for a rookie, and he has often been compared to Drury. While I think that he won't set the world on fire, I do think that he can consistently put up 20g-35a in a season, while having a solid +/-.
I see him as an eventual 2nd line center, which is perfect for Buffalo, since we already have three of those :shakehead

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
pavel datsyuk said:
Brian Boyle-Boyle had a good year, played his heart out and performed well. If he keeps developing he's going to be at least a 2nd line PF.

Alexei Shkotov- Didn't like him as a junior, thought he'd have a hard time turning pro. Had an off year, got injured, and played timid. #'s weren't AHL level.

Konstantin Glazachev-I haven't heard much since he was drafted, if someone would like to fill me in?

" Pushkaryev-Supposed to be like Grigorenko. Excellent skills that haven't dominated in junior yet, if ever. I think he would have been better off developing in Europe, kinda stagnated. Boom or bust, but right now i'm leaning more torwards bust. Letshope he can break out.

Derek Roy- 2nd-3rd line guy, plays with heart. He will play in the NHL just because of his desire. I see him topping out at around 20g-20a on average, maybe a little less.

Marek Svatos- Kinda unimpressed with his play this year. The 2 times i saw him he looked bored. He surely has the skills, the desire was there before this year, so i dont know what happened. Maybe he wanted to be in the NHL, but he should have produced more with thos skills. 2nd liner if he picks it up, bust if he can't.

Brendan Bochenski. Didn't really see him play. Can't comment.

I disagree on part of the Pushkarev part. I think it was really good for him to start adjusting to the NA game. At times he played up to the physical play, but at others he didn't.

You're totally right about his skills though. He's got top notch talent, it's just a matter of him trying not to do so much sometimes.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
I disagree on part of the Pushkarev part. I think it was really good for him to start adjusting to the NA game. At times he played up to the physical play, but at others he didn't.

You're totally right about his skills though. He's got top notch talent, it's just a matter of him trying not to do so much sometimes.

eh, maybe i'm biased. I dont like it when young offensive stars play in the CHL. IMO, it hurts their development. Many a times i've seen offensive euro player come to the CHL and lose thier way. I went back like 6 years and looked at euro forwards to come out of the CHL as projected and i was stunned. THe only 2 impact player i remember or can even find are Nagy and Hossa. Other than that, there isn't much. Even defenseman have trouble.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think Bochenski will be real good, he is a natural goal scorer. He is a great complement to setup guys, as he knows how to finish. If he can get to play with Spezza, Hossa, Alfredsson, or Havlat for alot of his career, he could be a 40+ goal scorer for many years.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
BobMarleyNYR said:
How do you feel each of these guys CAN perform at the NHL level insofar as potential

Brian Boyle
Alexei Shkotov
Konstantin Glazachev
" Pushkaryev
Derek Roy
Marek Svatos
Brendan Bochenski

Out of that list Derek Roy, Marek Svatos, and Brendan Bochenski can definately play at the NHL level, while I have my doubts about the others.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Brian Boyle: Could become a dominating Power Forward if he develops a power game. From the games I saw him play this year it looks like he's really develping well and could make an impact in the NHL some day. Could be a 30 goal scorer.

Alexei Shkotov: Very fast skating winger. Not really big but makes up for it in speed. I think he had problems in the AHL this year but he's got the skills to be a top 6 forward.

Konstantin Glazachev: Could become a very solid winger that is said to play a power forward game. Could put up about 25 goals and 30 assits a season.

Konstantin Pushkaryev:

Derek Roy: I think this guy can become a really solid 2nd line center that play a good two way game and gets about 55 to 60 points a season. He may not be big but he's afraid to get in the traffic area from what I saw last season in the NHL.

Marek Svatos: Small but agile forward. Really talented but looked bored in the AHL this past season probably because he knew he should of been playing in the NHL. Should become a 2nd line winger.

Brendan Bochenski: Big power forward type winger. Has the hands of a scorer. If he improves his skating wich he has done in the past I think he coudl become a good 2nd line scorer for the sens that woudl score about 25-30 goals a season.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
pavel datsyuk said:

He didn't really elevate his game at all in the year following the 2003 draft. He had 7 points in 13 games in his draft year but only had 7 points in 34 games the next year. He doubled his point totals last year (14 points) and did it in less games (33), so there is hope. Next year will be a big year for him. It could determine whether he is a legitimate prospect or a career RSLer.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
The only one i will comment on(because hes the only one i know a lot about) is Bochenski. I watched nearly all of his college hockey games and followed him this year for binghamton. He has one quality that absolutely cannot be taught...incredible goalscoring ability. In college he was always one to work hard and go into the corners, yet somehow he would score the most goals on the team. He was the perfect complement to Parise in college, and this year Jason Spezza seemed to complement bochenski well. He could be one of the better pro's when all is said and done.

acr*

Everyone seems to bash the Kings for picking Boyl, but I've watched a lot of BC hockey over the past few years(and I'm a UNH fan, so I root against them), and I must say that Boyle over the past four years has learned to embrace his size and play a big physical game crashing the net. He should have no trouble adjusting to the pro game and will be better than people think.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
acr said:
Everyone seems to bash the Kings for picking Boyl, but I've watched a lot of BC hockey over the past few years(and I'm a UNH fan, so I root against them), and I must say that Boyle over the past four years has learned to embrace his size and play a big physical game crashing the net. He should have no trouble adjusting to the pro game and will be better than people think.

I think people are bashing the Kings without realizing that they picked Boyle early but the thing is that he's a project not a guy that would step in the line up imediatly like say Brown did.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
acr said:

Hey, thanks for the insight on Boyle. I'm really excited about this guy, and it would certainly be nice if he answered the Kings need for a durable #1 center for years to come. But it wasn't always like that; I was among the many who questioned the picking of Boyle. I really liked what I read about O'Sullivan and wasn't concerned about the so-called attitude problems. I was really hoping the Kings would have picked him instead. Others who questioned the pick were high on Fritsche.

But it seems to have been a decent pick that's paying off, and I'm more than happy to be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad