Speculation: Prospects oil vs flames

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
ya, really depends what you consider a prospect. Yaks, Hall, Nuge ect.. Monahan. OR like just players in the minors now.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Under 22

Not even a close contest. Even being generous and saying Monahan could be as good as Yakupov will be in the future. That still leaves The 3 other guys for which they have no one even close

Not yet playing in the NHL (Monahan doesn't count)

Probaly a tie. JG and Gillies are two great college prospects IMO. Nurse and Klefbom are on there levels though. After that its kind of a wash, not high on Jankowski, and feel Khaira is a better prospect (atleast for the Oilers). Marincin and Wotherspoon are a wash. Marco Roy and Klimchuk seem to have similar pedigree as well

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'm going to sound like a homer but Oilers in every single category.

If you look at the young players on the roster, it's not even close. You cant even compare Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, and Schultz to Monahan and Baertschi.

Outside the NHL, I think Nurse and Klefbom hold more value then any Flames prospect. Gaudreau, Gillies and Jankowski are their three best prospects and I doubt that any of them stick in the NHL.

SWARM

Jun 10, 2012
I'm going to sound like a homer but Oilers in every single category.

If you look at the young players on the roster, it's not even close. You cant even compare Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, and Schultz to Monahan and Baertschi.

Outside the NHL, I think Nurse and Klefbom hold more value then any Flames prospect. Gaudreau, Gillies and Jankowski are their three best prospects and I doubt that any of them stick in the NHL.

I don't really agree with the last post Klefbom could bust as easily as any of those three. Also Monahan is a great character guy and a great centre, in terms of face off ability and heart he's light years ahead of Nuge. Talent wise Hopkins is definitely superior but would you rather have Toews or Kane? I see Monahan as having Toews like potential, he's doing very well on a bad Calgary team.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
It's the Flames, as previously mentioned 90% of the Oilers good players under 21 are on the roster already.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I don't really agree with the last post Klefbom could bust as easily as any of those three. Also Monahan is a great character guy and a great centre, in terms of face off ability and heart he's light years ahead of Nuge. Talent wise Hopkins is definitely superior but would you rather have Toews or Kane? I see Monahan as having Toews like potential, he's doing very well on a bad Calgary team.

Isn't Monahan in the 40s for face off percentage? Not sure you can point to that as a strength compared to RNH. And comparing RNH to Kane is a bad comparison too. Kane is more comparable to the wingers on the oilers, if we're going to throw out those kind of comparables for the guys how about this: would you rather have Toews or Datsyuk? Isn't that a much tougher choice?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We have 3rd\4th pluggers for forward prospects aside from Marco Roy who has top 6 upside. CGY is ahead of us in that department.

Our Dmen > Flames D prospects.

We might have an edge in goaltending after the Bunz for LB swap.

Liking what we have even after graduation of our top end prospects. (Big 5)

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Monahan in the NHL, and Nurse not, is the reason the Oilers win this, if by in the system you mean not in the NHL. Then the Oilers are superior on their defense men but it's relatively moot.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
We have 3rd\4th pluggers for forward prospects aside from Marco Roy who has top 6 upside. CGY is ahead of us in that department.

Our Dmen > Flames D prospects.

We might have an edge in goaltending after the Bunz for LB swap.

Liking what we have even after graduation of our top end prospects. (Big 5)

Gillies is better than any goalie prospect we have. Hes a top 10, maybe top 5 G prospect. Would have loved to get him instead of LB

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Toews vs Kane is a pretty bad comparison. Considering the Nuge is a good two way center. And like what was aid before, Monahan isn't a wizard on the dot. I could see the comparison being Toews Vs Datsyuk (obviously both at their peaks if they ever hit them)

Edit: didn't see the same comment a post below

Nuge also tore it up (like best starting for a rookie besides Crosby/Ovy/Malkin) in his rookie season. He had a better opening campaign on a worse Oiler team

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
I think the Oilers young players and prospects are better just because we've gotten to draft higher, however I think the Flames will return to the playoffs first.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Toews vs Kane is a pretty bad comparison. Considering the Nuge is a good two way center. And like what was aid before, Monahan isn't a wizard on the dot. I could see the comparison being Toews Vs Datsyuk (obviously both at their peaks if they ever hit them)

Nuge also tore it up (like best starting for a rookie besides Crosby/Ovy/Malkin) in his rookie season. He had a better opening campaign on a worse Oiler team

I watched a lot of Monahan in Ottawa and really wanted him on the Oilers. But he has a long way to go to be Jonathan Toews. I have never felt he had that elite level in his game. My pick would be more of a Mikko Koivu who I think is a terrific player but not in the class of a Toews.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
We've got the better prospects. Whether or not we do a better job of developing them into players capable of playing in the NHL is a different story.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

If Nuge had the right people helping him out he could turn into a Datsuk-like character in every meaning of the term.

aki

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Gaudreau is a smurf and it looks like he may be setting up to do the Justin Schultz thing. I wouldn't be shocked if the Flames are unable to sign him.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Don't be homers guys. Flames prospects>Oilers prospects. That being said. Oilers 22 and under players>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Flames 22 and under players. Monahan, the Flames' best youngster, would be ranked 4/5 here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad