Speculation: Prospects Graduating/Signing at the end of the Season

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
With a lot of our prospects seasons coming to an end, it would be nice to go over which prospects we know will be joining Montreal/Laval (now or at the start of next season) and which ones we think will be signing or not.

Signed

Jayden Struble (Already joined Laval)
Joshua Roy (Laval)
Riley Kidney (Laval)
Logan Mailloux (Laval, if Gary allows it)
Emil Heineman (Laval)
Owen Beck (Another season in OHL)
Filip Mesar (Another season in OHL)

Possibly signing to join organization

Sean Farrell (Montreal or Laval)
Luke Tuch (Laval or another season in NCAA?)
Jared Davidson (Laval) - He's 20, so sign or not?
Jakub Dobes (Laval)- Sign or not?

More than likely not signing for another season

Adam Engstrom- I would probably leave him another year in the SHL
Lane Hutson- Another year to get stronger in the NCAA
Oliver Kapanen - Another season in Liiga

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With a lot of our prospects seasons coming to an end, it would be nice to go over which prospects we know will be joining Montreal/Laval (now or at the start of next season) and which ones we think will be signing or not.

Signed

Joshua Roy (Laval)
Riley Kidney (Laval)
Emil Heineman (Laval)

I also think they'll take a look at whether Mesar will develop better in the OHL or AHL next year.

Reactions: Egresch

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Mesar will be in the AHL next year.

I would sign Tuch and Dobes right away. Tuch probably starts in ECHL, so does Davidson.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
From the way he has played in the OHL, I'd be shocked if they decided on the AHL.

Well some are saying he hasn't been a fit, that's why he's not succeeding. And so it we'd ould be a waste to send him back to a place where he's not progressing.

I usually like to see a player dominate a lower level before moving up to the next. But I'm not familiar with the situation in Kitchener.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Signed

Joshua Roy (Laval)
Riley Kidney (Laval)
Emil Heineman (Laval)

My vision on our prospects future is identical to yours

Tuch 100% in Laval

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal

Signed

Joshua Roy (Laval)
Riley Kidney (Laval)
Emil Heineman (Laval)

Very reasonable assessment, I think. Farrell is indeed the most plausible NHL graduate amongst these candidates.

The only other prospect who might have a shot at starting in Montreal next year besides Farrell - and the Habs’ 2023 1st of couse! - is Beck, especially if Dvorak can be dealt before his limited-no-trade-clause kicks in this summer.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Having 13 forwards spots at the start of the season next year, we can expect them as locks:
CC, Suzuki, Dach, Evans, Gally, Anderson, Slaf
I expect them to start the season if their camp is good:
Ylonen, RHP, Farrell
We're at 11 and I haven't counted Dvorak, Hoffman and Armia. Hoffman might be tradable since he'll have only 1 yr left, Habs could eat some of his salary. Dvorak too, he has value but is it better to keep him as a 3rd line C?
Armia though, wtf will they do with him. He'll surely grab a spot that could be given to a young guy and that doesn't work well with me. He's untradable.
Gurianov should get resigned, what about Pezz? With Gurianov and Pezz, we're at 15.
Pitlick and Belzile will be in Laval. Heineman too.
There need to be personnel movements.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Well some are saying he hasn't been a fit, that's why he's not succeeding. And so it we'd ould be a waste to send him back to a place where he's not progressing.

I usually like to see a player dominate a lower level before moving up to the next. But I'm not familiar with the situation in Kitchener.
Yeah I’m not a fan of Kitchener (Mesar) or Peterborough (Beck) and would really prefer they play on other junior teams. At least with Mesar, he does have the Laval option where as Beck is basically NHL or OHL. Would love if Peterborough traded Beck during the summer to another team as they won’t be competing next season.

Having 13 forwards spots at the start of the season next year, we can expect them as locks:
CC, Suzuki, Dach, Evans, Gally, Anderson, Slaf
I expect them to start the season if their camp is good:
Ylonen, RHP, Farrell
We're at 11 and I haven't counted Dvorak, Hoffman and Armia. Hoffman might be tradable since he'll have only 1 yr left, Habs could eat some of his salary. Dvorak too, he has value but is it better to keep him as a 3rd line C?
Armia though, wtf will they do with him. He'll surely grab a spot that could be given to a young guy and that doesn't work well with me. He's untradable.
Gurianov should get resigned, what about Pezz? With Gurianov and Pezz, we're at 15.
Pitlick and Belzile will be in Laval. Heineman too.
There need to be personnel movements.
I’m not too worried about that as I’m sure there will be trades, players released, players bought out etc.

Reactions: 26Mats

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
Fail to see why there's any interest in having Beck and Mesar stay in the OHL. Graduate them to pro already and build chemistry with the rest of our prospect/rookie group.

Not exactly like Kitchener is a thriving environment and Beck was doing great in Sauga before being shipped out to Peterborough.

Those 20$ Rocket game ticket will sell comme des petit pains chauds if we move everybody up. Evidently, the way prospect have come on the Habs this year, there's no harm in letting them ripen in the AHL...

EDIT: Turns out Beck will stay.....oh well, 1 more year in purgatory can't hurt too much

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Signed

Joshua Roy (Laval)
Riley Kidney (Laval)
Emil Heineman (Laval)

Kapanen and Engstrom are under contract with their Euro teams so I don't think the Habs would sign either since it would mean they would count against the 50 contract limit but if they didn't make the Habs they would need to go back to their Euro clubs and hopefully they learned from MB's stupid plan on Norlinder, better to just leave them alone until they are ready to come over and can play in the AHL if need be vs not being able to due to them being under contract before we signed them.

I assume Tuch goes back for his Senior year but haven't heard anything, Dobes I would sign but he may want to stay as Ohio State could be a top program again next year depending on if anyone leaves early or not.

Beck and Mesar are interesting cases. Beck they are limited with since it's NHL or OHL, I hope he's back in the OHL and maybe the Habs could seek to encourage the Petes to trade him if they feel it's not where they want to develop him. Mesar is tougher as I was not impressed with his efforts last game but the skill is clearly there, but he's so easy to knock off the puck so the AHL would an tough for him physically but skill wise he could handle it.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think that is a good assessment. I do believe however that Heineman will be given every opportunity to make the big club. I don't think we just pigeon hole him in Laval. Possible Transactions and a exciting camp will make for a loooong summer.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think that is a good assessment. I do believe however that Heineman will be given every opportunity to make the big club. I don't think we just pigeon hole him in Laval. Possible Transactions and a exciting camp will make for a loooong summer.

They may want him to start in Laval and then once he shows he's ready call him up so he can adjust to the smaller ice and work on his offensive game. He has had some injuries, so in the past 2 years he's played just over 80 games between the SHL/Champions league so it wouldn't hurt him to get time in Laval to work on things.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They may want him to start in Laval and then once he shows he's ready call him up so he can adjust to the smaller ice and work on his offensive game. He has had some injuries, so in the past 2 years he's played just over 80 games between the SHL/Champions league so it wouldn't hurt him to get time in Laval to work on things.
I took it that was what he was doing as we speak. :huh: I'm just basing my thoughts on what I saw at our camp this year he's getting close.

Reactions: montreal

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Fail to see why there's any interest in having Beck and Mesar stay in the OHL. Graduate them to pro already and build chemistry with the rest of our prospect/rookie group.

Not exactly like Kitchener is a thriving environment and Beck was doing great in Sauga before being shipped out to Peterborough.

Those 20$ Rocket game ticket will sell comme des petit pains chauds if we move everybody up. Evidently, the way prospect have come on the Habs this year, there's no harm in letting them ripen in the AHL...

EDIT: Turns out Beck will stay.....oh well, 1 more year in purgatory can't hurt too much

Like @montreal also mentioned, you have to hope that the Habs brass encourage the Petes to trade him to a better team during the summer.

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad