Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread ‎VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, it's 2 years, which is fine.

Leafs could always pay the buyout next summer, but there's no rush for him.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
2 years is what we'd get out of a junior player only in this case it's a 20 year old playing in the 2nd best hockey league in the world. I'm sure he's fine there, the highlights from the tourney are comforting as well.

Ed Belfour

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
Leafs seemingly go off the board with a prime top 2nd round pick. Most people go 'huh?'. Then this prospect goes off and wins this MVP award a few weeks later.

Because of course he does.

Somewhere right now there is a Leafs scouting team and Shanahan smirking.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Leafs seemingly go off the board with a prime top 2nd round pick. Most people go 'huh?'. Then this prospect goes off and wins this MVP award a few weeks later.

Other than mathews korshkov was the only name I'd heard of before and that was just from watching the wjc.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

It's mind boggling that so many people hated this pick. The guy was a beast at the WJC, makes you wonder if people pay any attention at all to teams other than Canada at that tournament.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
It's mind boggling that so many people hated this pick. The guy was a beast at the WJC, makes you wonder if people pay any attention at all to teams other than Canada at that tournament.

I'm not sure people hated this pick so much as had their own favs. Kind of like when we didn't draft Konecy, and traded it to get Dermott et al. I personally wanted Tyler Benson at this spot, but I don't hate the pick. Really a coin toss.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

It's because people become too circle jerky over draft lists provided by scouting services and 'experts' before the draft.

NHL teams have completely different lists.

That's why I don't judge picks made by Mark Hunter.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I know I don't.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
It's because people become to circle jerky over draft lists provided by scouting services and 'experts' before the draft.

NHL teams have completely different lists.

That's why I don't judge picks made by Mark Hunter.

Korshkov was ranked as the 7th best Euro by central scouting and pretty much no other scouting agency had him that high... :laugh:. I think this draft has changed a lot of people's mentality on "overage" draft picks.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Korshkov was ranked as the 7th best Euro by central scouting and pretty much no other scouting agency had him that high... :laugh:. I think this draft has changed a lot of people's mentality on "overage" draft picks.

Means our drafting staff needs to find another edge for next draft.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The folly of following draft lists.

The Leafs talked about overagers being under rated by others. You can't follow draft lists, they aren't infallible. By taking an older player the Leafs had a better glimpse into what they had with him.If you want to win at the draft you have to think outside the box, the leafs did and it is already paying dividends.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

Hopefully he'll be the real deal, after watching Marner against the Big American team were he was pretty much stymied in his efforts to generate any offense or fight through traffic. Looks like the Hurricanes might have gotten the best prospect in the big Defenceman that already has a year under his belt. Many are predicting a Hall of Fame career for the Big American, at least Francis sees it that way.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
The Leafs talked about overagers being under rated by others. You can't follow draft lists, they aren't infallible. By taking an older player the Leafs had a better glimpse into what they had with him.If you want to win at the draft you have to think outside the box, the leafs did and it is already paying dividends.

I was thinking: if we had drafted Brooks or Walker last year, we'd be gushing about their growth and I think we'll see something similar with Mattinen next year as well.

This growth, at least in players' points productions, is something teams hope to see from the 17-18 year olds they draft. I would say that NHL clubs even have a hand in giving their drafted players more favourable playing time just to see this come true. What we have with these overagers are players who have continued to get better without outside help such as favourable TOI and player development coaching from the NHL level.

At the very least, drafting guys who are 19, 20 years old have had more physical growth and mental maturity. One thing not mentioned is that these are the same guys who were passed over in their draft year but still continued to progress. Being able to fight through adversity is a good trait to have...

Hopefully he'll be the real deal, after watching Marner against the Big American team were he was pretty much stymied in his efforts to generate any offense or fight through traffic. Looks like the Hurricanes might have gotten the best prospect in the big Defenceman that already has a year under his belt. Many are predicting a Hall of Fame career for the Big American, at least Francis sees it that way.

The entire Canadian team didn't look good. Guess none of them are going to be NHL ready.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Means our drafting staff needs to find another edge for next draft.

Yep, if/when Hunter's picks start to show promise, other teams will follow suite.

Then it's up to the Leafs scouts and stats guys to figure out the next untapped advantage at the draft.s

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I'd still take Provorov or Werenski over Hanifin as likely to be he best defenders of the 2015 draft class.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I still hate missing out on Provorov, despite Marner's solid develoment. We really needed/need a D-man of that calibre.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I'd still take Provorov or Werenski over Hanifin as likely to be he best defenders of the 2015 draft class.

I'll take Hanifin already has a year under his belt as an 18 year old, superb skater with size advantage. He's a stud pure and simple the whole package is what you get.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'll take Hanifin already has a year under his belt as an 18 year old, superb skater with size advantage. He's a stud pure and simple the whole package is what you get.

He definitely had a good year, I just think his ceiling is a bit lower than the others.

The two guys I mentioned I think have the offensive ability to be a true #1 guy and I wouldn't be overly shocked if Hanifin ends up topping out as an really good #2/3.

But it's early days still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce