Prospect Thread XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
me2 said:
Gaunce defintely has 2nd unit PP potential and it isn't uncommon to see 3C on the second unit given the 1st is overloaded a lot (think Kesler + Sedins) or a forward playing point. Gaunce has decent hands and a big body, he could play a role around the net.

Yeah, I could see this happening. A lot of good 3C's center the 2nd PP unit on Cup teams - Filppula in '08 (Zetterberg + Datsyuk on PP1), '09 Staal (Crosby + Malkin), 2010 Bolland (Toews + Sharp), Stoll in 2012 (Kopitar + Richards) as well as this year. Heck we had Malhotra as the pivot on our 2nd unit before he went down.

Even if that doesn't happen I could at least see a role for him as the net-front presence... he seems to have decent finish in front of the net.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Where do the Canucks forward prospects rank?

Both last year and this year they had two 1st rounders and chose 4 forwards. So where does their grouo of forward prospects rank amongst other teams in the league?

Forward Prospects:

Bo Horvat
Nicklas Jensen
Jake Virtanen
Brendan Gaunce
Hunter Shinkaruk
Dane Fox
Jared McCann
Cole Cassels

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Id say Shinkaruks ceiling is very high

Yes my bad I would agree. He along with Virtanen and Horvat certainly have the highest ceilings of the group IMO. Shinkaruk's ceiling may be the highest of them all.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I would have to say Virtanen has a pretty high ceiling, killer shot and speed. Not a playmaker but a gunner.

Virtanen and Shinkaruk the offensive upside guys,
Horvat, McCann the safe picks,

Jensen, Gaunce, Cassells and Fox filling in the gaps.

The team could use an elite playmaker type, maybe if Benning can trade a few more vets they will make room for McDavid :)

Now on defence ...................................

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
This thread would be suited if you listed every team's forward prospects and asked people to rank them, rather than ask for the arbitrary ranking of just one team. That seems better suited for a team board.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
This thread would be suited if you listed every team's forward prospects and asked people to rank them, rather than ask for the arbitrary ranking of just one team. That seems better suited for a team board.

It might be. Maybe if someone feels another team(s) is better they can post that group then they can be ranked as we go.7

I wont be able to name all the guys, but I know TB has a really nice forward group with Drouin, Erne, Connolly and Kucherov.

RDA96

Jul 11, 2013
Vancouver
Guys like Horvat, Jensen and McCann seem like low risk guys with good potential but not superstar caliber potential. While Shinkaruk and Virtanen seem to be high risk high reward guys. Overall I think this group ranks around 7-15th

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Virtanen & Shinkaruk have the most offensive potential. Horvat probably has the potential to have the biggest impact.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
horvat, shinkaruk and virtanen are definitely in a tier above the others

definitely more depth than a few years ago but that's a pretty low bar, like going from league worst to league average

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
We should hold off for a bit. Those 2nd round picks, might present us with something really interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad