Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Lee and Nelson looked awsome TOGETHER in prospect camp...

How would everyone feel if tommorow we could have a first line in the AHL or Third line in the NHL of

Lee-Nelson-Nino

???

Lee and Nelson play a simlar game and with both crashing the net looking for garbage it would give the goalies fits....Plus having Nino doing his thing on the outside...

Rather have Lee and Nelson than Reasoner and Boulton..

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
In terms of top six not being a ceiling...

Nino
Ullstrom
Kabanov
Petrov
Sundstrom
Nelson

Top six is a ceiling without improving their skating...

Cizikas
Persson
Lee

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Lee's 'skating/speed' is overly criticized on this board. Makes me wonder how much people have seen him play as opposed to just reading his 6'3" 225 lb frame and scouting report that he is an animal in the corners in front of the net. I think the assumption is that he must not be a good skater. it isn't true.

There are much worse skaters skating on scoring lines in the NHL.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com

How would everyone feel if tommorow we could have a first line in the AHL or Third line in the NHL of

Lee-Nelson-Nino

???

Lee and Nelson play a simlar game and with both crashing the net looking for garbage it would give the goalies fits....Plus having Nino doing his thing on the outside...

What does he do on the outside? Nino has been doing most of his damage in and around the crease. He hasn't really been a stand out in any other area, at least not that I have seen.

Nelson is probably the most perimeter player of the 3, with scoring range extended to the high slot.

Nelson and Nino work well together but its Nino with a better and bigger net-front presence. You would need a playmaker with those two, say Bailey?

Bailey-Nelson-Nino.

Lee is a perfect fit for Strome (And Tavres). And Strome a perfect fit for the other two. Lee-Tavares-Strome makes too much sense not to go with. (And I think Strome is a natural Center) but the call for a talented RW to Play with JT is too great (also the presence of Nelson and Nielsen) and putting a bone crushing powerforward with hands on that line has me salivating.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
What does he do on the outside? Nino has been doing most of his damage in and around the crease. He hasn't really been a stand out in any other area, at least not that I have seen.

Nelson is probably the most perimeter player of the 3, with scoring range extended to the high slot.

Nelson and Nino work well together but its Nino with a better and bigger net-front presence. You would need a playmaker with those two, say Bailey?

Bailey-Nelson-Nino.

Lee is a perfect fit for Strome (And Tavres). And Strome a perfect fit for the other two. Lee-Tavares-Strome makes too much sense not to go with. (And I think Strome is a natural Center) but the call for a talented RW to Play with JT is too great (also the presence of Nelson and Nielsen) and putting a bone crushing powerforward with hands on that line has me salivating.

I have seen a grand total of 3 soundtigers games and the scrimage Live...

I agree that Nino is a beast around the crease, but if that ere to be a line he would be the one cycling and moving the puck along the boards and to the hash marks...

petrocelli

I love the Draft!!
Jan 5, 2009

Bailey-Nelson-Nino.

Lee - Tavares - Strome

Bailey - Nelson - Nino

Grabner - Nielsen - Okposo

Martin - Cizikas - Ullstrom

Serious potential for exciting lines in the near future..... But for the very present, can we get Bailey on one of our top two lines and PP units. He does get Martin and Cizikas rolling and playing aggressively, but Bailey needs better linemates if we ever want to see his full offensive potential.

*** Oops!! I forgot Sundstrum............................................................... goodbye Okposo,, It's been nice knowing you..

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Given our horrible goaltending this year, can anyone who has watched a lot of Sound Tigers this year give us an update on how the goalies are doing? Are either of these two guys ready for NHL ice-time? Poulin didn't look too bad in his limited time a few years ago, surely he's developed a bit since then right?

goal1228

Jun 17, 2009
Lee - Tavares - Strome

Bailey - Nelson - Nino

Grabner - Nielsen - Okposo

Martin - Cizikas - Ullstrom

Serious potential for exciting lines in the near future..... But for the very present, can we get Bailey on one of our top two lines and PP units. He does get Martin and Cizikas rolling and playing aggressively, but Bailey needs better linemates if we ever want to see his full offensive potential.

*** Oops!! I forgot Sundstrum............................................................... goodbye Okposo,, It's been nice knowing you..

Its a good line-up down the road. 4 rookies in the top 6 means 3-4 years without the playoffs.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Given our horrible goaltending this year, can anyone who has watched a lot of Sound Tigers this year give us an update on how the goalies are doing? Are either of these two guys ready for NHL ice-time? Poulin didn't look too bad in his limited time a few years ago, surely he's developed a bit since then right?

They dont look ready. Who knows how they can elevate their game once they get here?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Can someone give an update about Kabby's play now that he's back? I really hope he makes the team next year.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Lee has NHL potential, but to pencil him in on the top line...well...a little premature. Petrov? That's another story with his KHL experience. Ullstrom? I could see he was an NHler years ago too- same with Cizikas. Never bought in to Rak****ty. So I think the Mo in IMO is tuned just fine thank you.

Let's just say the NCAA isn't as good as the CHL. Hasn't been for years. The top Americans go and play in the CHL now...so Lee dominating at ND isn't the same as Strome dominating in the OHL...I think you would agree Strome > Lee...

Lee looks like he's going to be an effective NHLer...IMO its as third liner, maybe second.

If his skating improves, all bets are off...

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Lee-Nelson-Nino

???

Sorry, but that would be a terrible line. Who would carry the puck out of the zone and play the playmaker role? All three of these guys play best OFF the puck. It's also not an NHL caliber skating line. You play one of these guys with a playmaker and better skaters to cover up their deficiencies, which in this case is foot speed. And have any of them a reputation for being good in their defensive zone?

The other posters here who slotted them into other lines are right on target here.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Lee's 'skating/speed' is overly criticized on this board. Makes me wonder how much people have seen him play as opposed to just reading his 6'3" 225 lb frame and scouting report that he is an animal in the corners in front of the net. I think the assumption is that he must not be a good skater. it isn't true.

There are much worse skaters skating on scoring lines in the NHL.

As far as a lot of folks were concerned Tavares might as well have had cement shoes on. Even if skating was an issue, that is something that can be worked on. Of course you can not teach speed but you can without a doubt correct skating.

Not saying that is the issue with Lee because I have only really seen YouTube videos and I don't quantify that as seeing a lot.

That being said, I have to wonder, if Snow is invested in building from within, why is there a growing concern among fans that Lee might not sign with the Islanders?

I know we had two examples in the past, but I feel like I rarely heard any of the good press around them that Lee has around him.

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
IMO if Pokka were playing in the CHL he'd have a lot more hype around him. Kid is quietly climbing up the prospect rankings.

Agreed, I didn't like the pick originally, due to the defensemen that were still available like Dalton Thrower, I thought had higher upside, but now I'm liking the pick a lot more.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Sorry, but that would be a terrible line. Who would carry the puck out of the zone and play the playmaker role? All three of these guys play best OFF the puck. It's also not an NHL caliber skating line. You play one of these guys with a playmaker and better skaters to cover up their deficiencies, which in this case is foot speed. And have any of them a reputation for being good in their defensive zone?

The other posters here who slotted them into other lines are right on target here.

Just to answer some of your questions here (and I agree I wouldn't have these 3 together). Nelson can playrole of playmaker for sure. He is 6'4" BUT he's skinny he is not the 'power forward' many may think he is, at least not yet. He is a playmaking center with excellent hands trapped in a 6'4 body.

I don't think this line would have a problem with foot speed in the NHL per se. They are all succicient (Lee) to above average skaters (Nino/Nelson) on an NHL levle IMO. I don't know if any of them have 'reputations' for exceptional defensive zone play but I have seen flashes from all of them, and I believe Nelson can be not only a good defensive player but a VERY good defensive forward, curious how good he would be with some direction from Coach Thompson.

Nelson and Nino have some chemistry and their games compliment each other keeping them together may be a good thing. A crash the net type forward is not the missing piece to this line, but defensively responsible, puck distributer who can create from the perimeter and/or behind the net would be a match made in heavan for those two. Ullstrom was great with them in Bport, and I would vote for either Ullstrom or Bailey to skate with these two in the show. As I said Earlier Anders Lee is exactly what JT and Strome need.

Just my opinion.

Lumisade31

Jan 4, 2013
Lappi,FIN
HI!
I told earlier that I`m gonna write how Pokka plays in his games. Sry for waiting so long.
Before SM-league went to an Eurohockey-tour break, Pokka were playing like he was very tired. Few mistakes an something like that. He was selected to finlands team in U20 tournament in czech, but he pass that and had a little brake to load up some batteries and train good.
Yesterdays game against espoo was success. He was one of the best player in Kärpät and scored nice goal. But even without that goal he was very calm, solid and passes was always good. Pasi Mustonen (Kärpät assistant coach) said on http://www.jatkoaika.com/ `s interwiev that Pokka was overwhelming. I think that little break was very good for him and he`s gonna be very important piece on kärpät`s spring success. He has been a really heavy season for almost a year (Draft,Scouting combine,islanders camp, U20 worlds and so on).
Here`s his goal yesterday:

http://www.nelonenpro.fi/jääkiekko/sm-liiga/video/sm-liiga-espoon-blues-oulun-kärpät-1222013

scott99

May 13, 2005
HI!
I told earlier that I`m gonna write how Pokka plays in his games. Sry for waiting so long.
Before SM-league went to an Eurohockey-tour break, Pokka were playing like he was very tired. Few mistakes an something like that. He was selected to finlands team in U20 tournament in czech, but he pass that and had a little brake to load up some batteries and train good.
Yesterdays game against espoo was success. He was one of the best player in Kärpät and scored nice goal. But even without that goal he was very calm, solid and passes was always good. Pasi Mustonen (Kärpät assistant coach) said on http://www.jatkoaika.com/ `s interwiev that Pokka was overwhelming. I think that little break was very good for him and he`s gonna be very important piece on kärpät`s spring success. He has been a really heavy season for almost a year (Draft,Scouting combine,islanders camp, U20 worlds and so on).
Here`s his goal yesterday:

http://www.nelonenpro.fi/jääkiekko/sm-liiga/video/sm-liiga-espoon-blues-oulun-kärpät-1222013

Thanks Lumisade ! Your input was incredible, nice to hear from someone who actually sees Pokka play, and can add insight into the type of player he is. Thanks again !

petrocelli

I love the Draft!!
Jan 5, 2009
In a normal year, a prospect like John Persson or Kiril Kabanov would have a chance at a roster spot with a good training camp. But looking at next years training camp, without the unforeseen moves and invites, it's virtually impossible for one of our mid range prospects to steal a roster spot.

The competition for a roster spot next year is going to be crazy!!!

Moulson Tavares B. Nelson

Bailey Strome Niederreiter

Grabner Nielsen Okposo

Ullstrom Cizikas Martin

McDonald Sundstrum A. Lee

Persson Joensuu Kabanov

This is without resigning Boyes, Aucoin, Reasoner or any new veterans to replace them. There is no spot for Lee who I think will earn a spot on our top 3 lines, thus someone will be bumped or traded..... Even if they don't want to sign a veteran FA for the top 2 lines and go with youth, we still are going to have to move somebody. Next year's camp should be very interesting.... Actually, we could have some of the answers by the trade deadline. Certain players may not make it through this season, yet alone training camp next year.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
That's assuming Nelson and or Strome is handed a spot over Lee (if he signs). If physical play and size is a factor Lee would be given first crack. He's a lot stronger than Nelson and well any other forward we have. Martin would be the only match and it would be a good one.

The second half of the season a lot of these kids have an opportunity to show the have a chance next season. But just a chance no spots garunteed to rookies before camp.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
In a normal year, a prospect like John Persson or Kiril Kabanov would have a chance at a roster spot with a good training camp. But looking at next years training camp, without the unforeseen moves and invites, it's virtually impossible for one of our mid range prospects to steal a roster spot.

The competition for a roster spot next year is going to be crazy!!!

Moulson Tavares B. Nelson

Bailey Strome Niederreiter

Grabner Nielsen Okposo

Ullstrom Cizikas Martin

McDonald Sundstrum A. Lee

Persson Joensuu Kabanov

This is without resigning Boyes, Aucoin, Reasoner or any new veterans to replace them. There is no spot for Lee who I think will earn a spot on our top 3 lines, thus someone will be bumped or traded..... Even if they don't want to sign a veteran FA for the top 2 lines and go with youth, we still are going to have to move somebody. Next year's camp should be very interesting.... Actually, we could have some of the answers by the trade deadline. Certain players may not make it through this season, yet alone training camp next year.

Out of Nelson, Strome, Nino, Lee, which one has demonstrated that they belong in the NHL? And you want to not only hand them all ice time, but move somebody to make room for Lee?

Far from being stacked at forward, I think we need 1-2 more established forwards, then let players fight it out during camp. Let Nino prove he belongs. Send Strome to the AHL for a while if you need. Start Nelson on a 3rd line. If all the young players blow you away in camp, then you can look to trade someone away. The odds of that though are very slim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad