CFHF Fantasy League Prospect Ruling Poll

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Those are players I would advocate having as prospects. If someone had wanted to pick Brunner prior to last season, it would have been a risk, for one, but it also would have prevented them from picking, say, a late first rounder from that draft. I guess the problem you're bringing up is that eventually (over time), the prospect draft would involve pretty much exclusively picks from the previous drafts who would be ready to join the NHL, and thus new NHLers would never be available in the main draft.

I'm not so sure that's true, but at the same time, I'm not so sure it's important. For one thing, drafting a Damien Brunner type player last year instead of, say, a recent first-round pick would be a risk. Is Damien Brunner's ceiling equal to that of first-round picks? I would say probably not as high as a lot of them.

Also, as long as our prospects are of greater quality, they are going to be replacing players who we pick in the main draft, so a lesser quality of players picked that deep in the draft isn't that big of an issue.

Yeah but retaining a prospect for 100 games is A LOT considering you will have 9 NHL regular keepers as well (assuming the voting results). So its not easy to infuse prospects into the system for everyone to benefit (ie, strengthening the regular draft) and therefore the prospect draft will snowball into getting stronger and stronger, at the cost of the regular draft. When guys are benching their 40pt veterans and playing prospects instead, the later rounds of the regular draft becomes pretty useless over time.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Mark does have a very good point. The 100 games rule was thought out when the regular draft was before the prospect draft. The more I think about it, the more we may have to adjust the prospect system. However, this is all speculation, so anything is possible.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
If the talent gets too concentrated, we could always allow an extra member to join in order to dilute the talent again

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah but retaining a prospect for 100 games is A LOT considering you will have 9 NHL regular keepers as well (assuming the voting results). So its not easy to infuse prospects into the system for everyone to benefit (ie, strengthening the regular draft) and therefore the prospect draft will snowball into getting stronger and stronger, at the cost of the regular draft. When guys are benching their 40pt veterans and playing prospects instead, the later rounds of the regular draft becomes pretty useless over time.

Do you think this would be fixed by instituting a rule of 3 prospect keepers to be declared before the prospect draft?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Do you think this would be fixed by instituting a rule of 3 prospect keepers to be declared before the prospect draft?

Yes. That's a max of 6 prospects in the system at all times, allowing all other prospects to enter a respective draft. I still think we should just leave it the way it is and then open the flood gates to the prospect draft. Because right now the regular draft is strong but the prospect draft is weak, but its only weak because its limited to the draft year when prospects are being taken from in the regular draft.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Something MarkGio suggested earlier was having keepers for the prospects.

Guys, we aren't going to have a lockout, are we? :help:

Damn TFG and his 3rd work stoppages in 20 years!

It was that southern expansion that put us in this mess!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes. That's a max of 6 prospects in the system at all times, allowing all other prospects to enter a respective draft. I still think we should just leave it the way it is and then open the flood gates to the prospect draft. Because right now the regular draft is strong but the prospect draft is weak, but its only weak because its limited to the draft year when prospects are being taken from in the regular draft.

I'm just not sure why it's so important to have a strong main draft. I'm absolutely in favour of weakening the main draft to force people to build 'properly.'

And as a technicality, the max number of prospects at one time would be variable, depending on whether trades were made.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'm just not sure why it's so important to have a strong main draft. I'm absolutely in favour of weakening the main draft to force people to build 'properly.'

And as a technicality, the max number of prospects at one time would be variable, depending on whether trades were made.

Well well well. Here comes the technicalities... :laugh:

I think a strong regular draft is important for rebuilds too. The league is based on NHL stats and therefore a great prospect pool is only good if all the prospects are playing in the NHL at the same time

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
And if the prospect pool is too strong, the building method becomes very linear. It would be the only good working model and therefore everyone would do it. It leaves less room for creativity and less people would be inclined to trade prospect picks

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Well, there we have it. Before it is. It is now impossible for the other two options to win.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Tbh I'm with Gio on this one to limit the potential power of stacking prospects. Relying on prospects means people don't focus as much on the regular draft which I think should be essential since it is a fantasy draft.

On that note with the prospect draft coming first I think a reduction in the 100 games rule is in order so people are forced to think about their 9 keepers rather than relying on the prospect rights.

On that note I votes on my presented idea which is option two which for all intents and purposes solves most of the question if all else is left status quo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad