*** Prospect Releases & Buy-Outs ***

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Gentleman,

It's that time of year to disperse with your unloved and unwanted.

Please send me your list of prospects that you no longer wish to hold rights to. These players will be released into the UFA pool of players available for this years annual Free Agent bonanza.

NOTE: Please remember that with the draft approaching there is a league maximum for players under contract and prospects. There is a maximum of 50 prospects and a maximum of 80 total players (roster and prospects).

Further to that - if you have any professional roster players that you no longer wish to keep, but presently have under contract - you may buy-out those players for the grand total of one years salary. That is 100% of the salary and is not counted towards the cap.

Please send your lists to me at [email protected].

Deadline is: Friday June 6, 2008. 12am EST.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
point of reference:

There is still no cost to keep prospects drafted in 06 or 07, correct? Anyone prior to 06 would be $50,000 to keep?

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
point of reference:

There is still no cost to keep prospects drafted in 06 or 07, correct? Anyone prior to 06 would be $50,000 to keep?

The sim actually charges a nominal fee of $1,500 per prospect regardless of when they were drafted. The $50K is charged for players from the last two drafts... so for next season that will be the 07 and 08 drafts. Unsigned prospects from 06 and earlier will cost $50K each.
-------------------
Tom Poti is now an Unrestricted Free Agent, after the Columbus Blue Jackets bought out the remainder of his contract, which had three years left at $5.1M per season. The puck-moving defenceman joined the Blue Jackets last summer after an extensive free agent bidding process.

"It's no criticism of Tom, who was great for us this year", said Jackets' GM Doug Emerson on making the announcement.

"It's purely a financial decision. The last time we splurged on defence in free agency, it was signing Patrice Brisebois and [current Jacket] Keith Carney with big singing bonuses. That worked out well, all things considered, but in the cap world, and without a signing bonus option, the consequences of trying to compete in free agency come home quickly.

"We wish Tom well, and know he'll contiue to be a good player in this league."

When asked if he would consider trying to sign Poti at a lower salary in the off-season, Emerson shrugged.

"We had talks with Tom and his agent, and we know that he can make more on the free market than what we can afford to pay, or we might have tried to restructure his deal. He needs to do the best he can for himself and his family, and that's not going to be in Columbus."

So there you have it, gentlemen: the first significant player (and probably the biggest financial hit of the summer - essentially handed him my TV revenue cheque!) to be added to the UFA pool. The lesson: don't let yourself get carried away on that player or position you just "have" to have during a competitive free agent bidding process! You'd think after a decade I'd know better... :dunce:

***Weird - I posted two notes, half an hour apart, and it merged them, even though they had nothing to do with one another,. This new forum system appears to be a bit wonky... ***

Last edited:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Of note, the Blues bought out the contract of recently acquired forward Chris Gratton (part of the Sharks deal for the rights to Souray, where the Blues got Brendan Mikkelson and a pick).

In the cap world, the one minor advantage of a big cash balance I suppose.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Just spoke to Drew, he's not sure what the rush is on this - thought we'd have until after the draft. He's seriously tied up right now, but Detroit has contract stuff he needs to sort out soon...

Default101

When asked if he would consider trying to sign Poti at a lower salary in the off-season, Emerson shrugged.

"We had talks with Tom and his agent, and we know that he can make more on the free market than what we can afford to pay, or we might have tried to restructure his deal. He needs to do the best he can for himself and his family, and that's not going to be in Columbus."

If it's the same as it is in the NHL Columbus wouldnt be able to reacquire Poti for 12 months after buying him out.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
If it's the same as it is in the NHL Columbus wouldnt be able to reacquire Poti for 12 months after buying him out.

Good to know. Makes some sense, I suppose, although really if a team had money to burn (which I don't sadly...), it should be a legitimate way of getting out of a bad contract and still have the same chance everyone else does to sign the player as a Free Agent (to, one would hope, a significantly lower salary, otherwise why buy them out?).

If I could have afforded Poti, I'd be happy to have him playing here. There was a chance when I thought I could get away with Budaj and Smith in net, but as soon as I had to go get Gerber the writing was on the wall for Poti.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

We have considered some adjusted rules for buy-outs (after this year), where the buy-out would be related to the remaining salary left on the deal, versus just one year's salary. So if a team signed a player to a four year deal and after the first year there were three years left, a team would have to pay 50% of the remaing salary, which would be 1.5 times the annual salary, making the penalty more severe.

It's not official yet, but something the player agents have discussed to reduce sign and buy-outs after just one year.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
We have considered some adjusted rules for buy-outs (after this year), where the buy-out would be related to the remaining salary left on the deal, versus just one year's salary. So if a team signed a player to a four year deal and after the first year there were three years left, a team would have to pay 50% of the remaing salary, which would be 1.5 times the annual salary, making the penalty more severe.

It's not official yet, but something the player agents have discussed to reduce sign and buy-outs after just one year.

Sweet - got in just under the wire. ;)

Of course, it cost me all my TV revenues... :cry:

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Buyout

Will this be the only date that we can buyout salaries? Last year we had until the ratings were released so teams could better determine who would be counted in their top 21 players.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto

Just curious if we are going to cover the loophole where a team acquires a player and buys them out immediately. This basically undermines our maximum $1M allowed per trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad