MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
PROSPECT RELEASE 2004

Deadline Date: July 10, 2004
Email: [email protected]

Rules & Notes:

Prospect Roster Maximum: 50 players

Please remember that this roster size INCLUDES all of your 2004 draft picks.

General Managers should remember that this prospect release should create room for your 2004 draft picks.

Penalty: Non Compliance to the Prospect Roster Limit result in a penalty of $200,000 per team.

Deadline: Prospects may NOT be released after July 10, 2004. Please submit your lists prior to the deadline.

Cost: Prospects drafted prior to 2003 cost $50,000 each. Teams are not charged for prospects drafted in the 2003 and 2004 drafts.

Payment of Prospect Fees: Fees are manually deducted at the end of the pre-season.

Unsigned RFA's on the Prospect List: These RFA's will become UFA's on July 1st. This applies to RFA's that were qualified during the 2003 Free Agency Period.

SIGNING RELEASED PROSPECTS: A list of released prospects will be generated and those players will become UFA's. You may bid on those UFA's during the second (2nd) round of UFA bidding.

There may be some additional notes&rules and I will get those posted as soon as they come up. Send in your lists....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I have a few players on my prospects list that I intend to sign prior to the season starts (Komisarek, Morrisonn, Somik, Afanasenkov, etc.). Do they still count towards the 50 if I don't get them under contract before July 10th? Even if I would get the contract offers sent well before the deadline and there is no confirmation of the contract until after the deadline?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Ville Isopää said:
I have a few players on my prospects list that I intend to sign prior to the season starts (Komisarek, Morrisonn, Somik, Afanasenkov, etc.). Do they still count towards the 50 if I don't get them under contract before July 10th? Even if I would get the contract offers sent well before the deadline and there is no confirmation of the contract until after the deadline?

Hmm thats a good question.

I'll also echo these statements.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Ville Isopää said:

One solution - get your offers into Mr. Swingstein ASAP. His office will be running full steam ahead in the coming weeks, and getting those players signed before the prospect cut-date will enable teams to clear any needs spots.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
So, I think that any players that you have not signed by the 10th of July will have to be protected on you prospect list until you are able to sign them.

just out of curiosity, with Waivers playing some role in deciding who to sign off my prospect list. I just want to clarify if we're still using the rules or elegibility that are specified in the Rule Book?

If So, Alexander Frolov would be elegible for waiver (22 and played over 100 games in 2 seasons) as would Brooks Orpik(23 and played 79 games) and Tuomo Ruutu (21 and 82 games).

Ruutu however wouldn;t have been elegible for waivers this season, if he had played less than 80 games....is this a fair interpretation of the law? and is the law in the rule book currently accurate?

thanks in advance

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Chuzwazza said:
just out of curiosity, with Waivers playing some role in deciding who to sign off my prospect list. I just want to clarify if we're still using the rules or elegibility that are specified in the Rule Book?

If So, Alexander Frolov would be elegible for waiver (22 and played over 100 games in 2 seasons) as would Brooks Orpik(23 and played 79 games) and Tuomo Ruutu (21 and 82 games).

Ruutu however wouldn;t have been elegible for waivers this season, if he had played less than 80 games....is this a fair interpretation of the law? and is the law in the rule book currently accurate?

*BUMP* Could one of the higher powers answer this question?

And.. just a reminder that the deadline is Friday at Midnight... I have only had submissions from 12 GM's at this point... THANKS, Matthew!!!

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Chuzwazza said:

Waiver eligibility is determined as of the date that the player signs his first NHL contract (for our purposes, when a player plays his first NHL/AHL/ECHL game).

For example, Ruutu was 20 when he played his first NHL game. According to the chart in the rulebook, that means that he's exempt from waivers for 3 years or 160 NHL games played, whichever comes first.

Make sense?

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
mashcanada said:
PROSPECT RELEASE 2004

Cost: Prospects drafted prior to 2003 cost $50,000 each. Teams are not charged for prospects drafted in the 2003 and 2004 drafts.

I have a question about this part of the rules. The 2-year rule is there to prevent teams from having too many prospects on their prospect list, right? It's also a way to follow the NHL, where unsigned players re-enter the draft after 2 years.
It's ok with CHL players, but the question I have is about High School, College and in a way also European players.

As we all know, it takes 3-5 years for the HS/College players to sign their first pro-contract. As the rules are right now, we have to sign them up to 3 years prior to the time they will actually play in the NHL. A player like Chris Zarb who is bound for College in 05-06, will cost me 150k in prospects fees until he can sign his first NHL contract.

I know it can be hard to keep track of all prospects in the league, but they could be tagged when they're drafted, so that HS/College players would be "free" until they graduate. Euro's should also have something similar, or maybe just a year or two longer until they start to cost.

This ofcourse wouldn't change the 50 prospect limit, just what type of prospects you could afford to have there.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Ville Isopää said:
I have a question about this part of the rules. The 2-year rule is there to prevent teams from having too many prospects on their prospect list, right? It's also a way to follow the NHL, where unsigned players re-enter the draft after 2 years.
It's ok with CHL players, but the question I have is about High School, College and in a way also European players.

As we all know, it takes 3-5 years for the HS/College players to sign their first pro-contract. As the rules are right now, we have to sign them up to 3 years prior to the time they will actually play in the NHL. A player like Chris Zarb who is bound for College in 05-06, will cost me 150k in prospects fees until he can sign his first NHL contract.

I know it can be hard to keep track of all prospects in the league, but they could be tagged when they're drafted, so that HS/College players would be "free" until they graduate. Euro's should also have something similar, or maybe just a year or two longer until they start to cost.

This ofcourse wouldn't change the 50 prospect limit, just what type of prospects you could afford to have there.

I really don't think this is realistic Ville. Even players in the OHL will take quite a bit of time before they have HFNHL worthy ratings, and they too can easily cost $150,000. Dan Paille was my pick from two years ago and may still be three years or more away from being a 68+ rated player, and hence, cost me $150,000 in prospect fees. And he is a former #1 pick who is probably seen as pretty close to a pro player already.

We all draft projects that may take 6 or 7 years to become NHLers, and these are realistic fees NHL clubs have to pay to keep their cupboard stocked.

HFNHL Red Wings

Sorry I hadn't been following this thread.
There was an earlier question about the 50 propect rule and players to be signed.

Clarification: The penalty for being over 50 prospects is assessed at the end of the pre-season. Therefore if you intend on signing 3 of them before the season starts you need to have your list down to 53 for the prospect cuts. The point of bringing up the 50 rule is that the July 10th is the only opportunity to outright release going nowhere type prospects.
This at least is the way it has been managed the past couple of seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad