Prospect Info: Prospect Rating #5 (2023 Version)

Who do you rank as the Penguins #5 Prospect?

• Andonovski

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Belliveau

• Gauthier

• Ilyin

• Jarventie

• Plante

• Svejkovsky

• other (tell me who in your post)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Vote for who you think is the #5 Penguins prospect.

And post who you think should be added. I've not added a new person for a while but do have a backlog of votes.

#1 - Yager - Votes: 56 - 71.8%
#2 - Pickering - Votes: 49 - 86.0%
#3 - Blomqvist - Votes: 33 - 63.5%
#4 - Puustinen - Votes: 43 - 50.6% *** I asked people to change their vote to avoid a runoff poll

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Murashov time.

Also I can't remember who the hell isn't even on this poll but add Nolan Colins, I like his scoring jump for a big D.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
We need to get ourselves some Pie-niniemi.
maxresdefault.jpg

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
this jump by murashov is pretty interesting. do people think he is the real deal and can turn into igor or ilya?

Voted Bros but am still interested in hearing about murashov.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
this jump by murashov is pretty interesting. do people think he is the real deal and can turn into igor or ilya?

Well

Let's be real

I can't evaluate a goalie for shit off of the about 5 minutes of highlights that exist on youtube

But his numbers are very impressive - look like Shesterkin's just a year behind - and he's working with Shesterkin's old coach. And he's got some real quick movement.

Probably should wait a couple more years, see him get plenty of KHL time, before getting super excited but it's a real shallow pool.

Reactions: Kasperi kapanen

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Well

Let's be real

I can't evaluate a goalie for shit off of the about 5 minutes of highlights that exist on youtube

But his numbers are very impressive - look like Shesterkin's just a year behind - and he's working with Shesterkin's old coach. And he's got some real quick movement.

Probably should wait a couple more years, see him get plenty of KHL time, before getting super excited but it's a real shallow pool.
thanks, sounds promising. will definitely try to keep up with him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I don’t think anyone on HF can evaluate Russian prospects, but those that do evaluate Russian prospects say the guy is a stud.

As @Peat points out. He’s being coached by a legend too.

Reactions: Kasperi kapanen

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
That's the thing with Murashov, he's gonna take awhile, but they don't even need to sign him to hold his rights. Long-term commitment.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Anyone that can fairly rank the remaining names on this list really did their homework.
I need a "phone a friend" option, with Taylor Haase as my listed contact.

I don't do these threads to be fair or accurate, I do these threads to make capricious judgments that shall be trumpeted loudly if correct and completely forgotten if wrong.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's Poulin. This one can be close early I think.

After Yager, Pickering, Puustinen, Poulin, it's Murashov. After that, you have three guys that are all at the same level so pick your poison: Svejkovsky, Bellaveau, and Broz.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
It's Poulin. This one can be close early I think.

After Yager, Pickering, Puustinen, Poulin, it's Murashov. After that, you have three guys that are all at the same level so pick your poison: Svejkovsky, Bellaveau, and Broz.
Svejkovksy isn’t in that group in my humble opinion. He had an underwhelming junior career followed up by a very meh AHL debut. I know that one scout of ours praised him up at camp a couple years ago but right now I think even guys like Pieniniemi are ahead of him on my list just from the fact they haven’t had time to disappoint yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Svejkovksy isn’t in that group in my humble opinion. He had an underwhelming junior career followed up by a very meh AHL debut. I know that one scout of ours praised him up at camp a couple years ago but right now I think even guys like Pieniniemi are ahead of him on my list just from the fact they haven’t had time disappoint yet.

Yeah, I never got the Svejkovsky optimism either. He's got tools but its never come together like you'd hope production wise.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Svejkovksy isn’t in that group in my humble opinion. He had an underwhelming junior career followed up by a very meh AHL debut. I know that one scout of ours praised him up at camp a couple years ago but right now I think even guys like Pieniniemi are ahead of him on my list just from the fact they haven’t had time to disappoint yet.

Yeah, I never got the Svejkovsky optimism either. He's got tools but its never come together like you'd hope production wise.

I wouldn't say that he had an underwhelming Junior career at all. His teams prior to Seattle were butt. And when he went to Seattle his production increased despite getting fewer minutes. He produced in the playoffs too.

His WBS season, yeah, that was a bummer. But I don't believe he got 1st or even 2nd line minutes. When he did play he was on the 3rd line and didn't get many PP minutes.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
I wouldn't say that he had an underwhelming Junior career at all. His teams prior to Seattle were butt. And when he went to Seattle his production increased despite getting fewer minutes. He produced in the playoffs too.

His WBS season, yeah, that was a bummer. But I don't believe he got 1st or even 2nd line minutes. When he did play he was on the 3rd line and didn't get many PP minutes.
Even when he was traded to Seattle he only put up 46 points in 32 gp. That would be awesome for an 18 year old. It’s rather meh for a 20 year old. 20 year olds routinely put up better numbers than that and never even sniff an ELC. I do think he has some real raw skill. I’m not writing him off but his prior production is not a good sign.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Medicine Hat finished 2nd in their division in Svej's D+1 year, and they had 4 guys scoring higher. While his production increased in Seattle, it didn't increase to a level where I'd be confident.

Honestly his WBS season is the thing I'm most pleased with. He stuck when I was half-expecting him to end up in Wheeling. If he can win his coach's faith when not producing he can win the time to develop into a guy who produces. It's also demonstrating the all round game he'll need to stick in the big show.

But to do that, and then take another step... it feels long shot. Longer than most.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad