• Swoyer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yoder

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Btw guys, how do we feel about no more run-offs once we're out of the top 10? Feel like there's not much enthusiasm for arguing between two guys we don't know much about.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Btw guys, how do we feel about no more run-offs once we're out of the top 10? Feel like there's not much enthusiasm for arguing between two guys we don't know much about.

As in...

If it is close, like in this poll, then Broz gets #10 and Legare automatically gets #11?

Or that Broz gets #10 and then we have another poll for #11?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As in...

If it is close, like in this poll, then Broz gets #10 and Legare automatically gets #11?

Good question. I'd been thinking number two but number one might work better. Whichever keeps things liveliest I think. Also we're nearly at the start of proper hockey, so maybe a quick march is in order.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think @Peat and @Randy Butternubs should have a Bloodsport-style kumite to determine the winner.

MessyBogusHatchetfish-size_restricted.gif

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

As in...

Do #1. It expedites the whole process.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I would really like a prospect to exceed expectations for once instead of falling to come anywhere near them.

I'm actually kind of curious when the last time that happened. Maybe all the way back to Rust or Guentzel? Since then they either met their modest projection (a Blueger or Sundqvist) or they fell way short (almost every other prospect in that timeframe).

Reactions: HandshakeLine

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm actually kind of curious when the last time that happened. Maybe all the way back to Rust or Guentzel? Since then they either met their modest projection (a Blueger or Sundqvist) or they fell way short (almost every other prospect in that timeframe).

I think Marino being a 6th round pick and managing to become a 2nd pairing guy (a low end second pairing guy but still) is at least noteworthy. The thing with him of course is that his rookie season was his most promising and everything since has been sorta just... meh.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think Marino being a 6th round pick and managing to become a 2nd pairing guy (a low end second pairing guy but still) is at least noteworthy. The thing with him of course is that his rookie season was his most promising and everything since has been sorta just... meh.

Yup. Simon being anything as a 5th rounder was nice too. I guess Puustinen getting any NHL games as a 7th rounder is exceeding expectations, but I'll wait a little before getting out my party hat.

Also Jarry who I think would count as hitting after Guentzel and Rust, although god only knows how whacky expectations are for goalies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Simon probably if we are excluding Marino since we didn’t pick him.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also Jarry who I think would count as hitting after Guentzel and Rust, although god only knows how whacky expectations are for goalies.

When it comes to goaltenders I'm just glad when one month's results roughly lines up with the last.

Unless those results are bad of course. But hey even then the consistency is refreshing.

• Haha
Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
When it comes to goaltenders I'm just glad when one month's results roughly lines up with the last.

Unless those results are bad of course. But hey even then the consistency is refreshing.

I guess I more meant at what point do you start expecting a goalie to be a starter? Like I feel there's a ton of starters out of 2nd round picks, but most of them are projected as back-ups when picked. So is Jarry meeting expectations, exceeding them etc.etc.

But you ain't wrong.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I guess I more meant at what point do you start expecting a goalie to be a starter? Like I feel there's a ton of starters out of 2nd round picks, but most of them are projected as back-ups when picked. So is Jarry meeting expectations, exceeding them etc.etc.

But you ain't wrong.

Sometimes I wonder if the scouts even have much more of a better idea than us how to project goaltenders. Like obviously I'm exaggerating but I honestly don't know by how much.

But to answer the question I'd say Jarry is fulfilling expectations. A second rounder isn't exactly gold but off the top of my head I would have to think the average draft position of most starters is probably second round or worse. They just aren't taken often in the first round... for good reason. They're a bad bet.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

But you ain't wrong.

I feel like Jarry is meeting expectations. But if he solidified himself as a top ten goalie then that’s overachieving.

Either way Simon being a 30 pt player is overachieving IMO.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sometimes I wonder if the scouts even have much more of a better idea than us how to project goaltenders. Like obviously I'm exaggerating but I honestly don't know by how much.

But to answer the question I'd say Jarry is fulfilling expectations. A second rounder isn't exactly gold but off the top of my head I would have to think the average draft position of most starters is probably second round or worse. They just aren't taken often in the first round... for good reason. They're a bad bet.

Goalie draft positions says it all about how much confidence scouts/front offices have in the process imo. I would argue a true starting goalie is about true 1C levels of rarity and importance, but the first goalie is going to be taken about 12 to 50 spots after the first centre, give or take. Just way too much of their game is mental to work it out from 18 year old kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad