Prospect #9

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I didnt think he struggled in junior. I saw him play a lot.
Skating he did and in his own zone he did. Offensively and physically he was dynamic. He's really physically strong which creates some false narratives in junior hockey. It was a man against boys scenario for him in the W. There was even a stretch where he was so rough defensively he played winger in his final season with the Pats after continuing to get beat one on one and taking dumb penalties.

I'm definitely not a Hobbs hater, in fact I absolutely love his game and hope that he does continue to progress enough to make the NHL with the same skills he showed in junior. I was a huge advocate of his coming out of junior and thought he was a heck of a draft pick where they got him. A guy who can fire the puck like that, throw vicious checks and knock somebody out when needed is quite the asset. However, he's got to get the fundamentals down at the pro level before he can start developing the other skills he's shown in junior.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Skating he did and in his own zone he did. Offensively and physically he was dynamic. He's really physically strong which creates some false narratives in junior hockey. It was a man against boys scenario for him in the W. There was even a stretch where he was so rough defensively he played winger in his final season with the Pats after continuing to get beat one on one and taking dumb penalties.

I'm definitely not a Hobbs hater, in fact I absolutely love his game and hope that he does continue to progress enough to make the NHL with the same skills he showed in junior. I was a huge advocate of his coming out of junior and thought he was a heck of a draft pick where they got him. A guy who can fire the puck like that, throw vicious checks and knock somebody out when needed is quite the asset. However, he's got to get the fundamentals down at the pro level before he can start developing the other skills he's shown in junior.
You know I'm a Regina Pat season ticket holder. And when he played here skating wasnt a problem. He had some issues defensively and his decision making was questionable at times. The rest of his game was very solid. Havent seen him much in Hershey so I can't tell you if his skating has improved or not.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think Hobbs' skating is terrible, he's just got a really labored looking stride. Definitely not a smooth skater by anyone's estimation, and in no sense would I label it one of the strengths of his game. He's also got to pick his spots a bit better, and know when to pinch and go for the hits. Without the puck, he reminds me a bit of Kempny, with his choppier skating motion and willingness to step up on people. Obviously his offensive game is substantially different than Kempny, and there's still some significant questions regarding how his mobility and decision making will translate at the NHL level.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Alright guys, Gersich and Sutter are within one vote of each other. We have two options:

1) Give it to Sutter and move on
2) Start a new pool with just Gersich and Sutter and see what happens

Thoughts?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Alright guys, Gersich and Sutter are within one vote of each other. We have two options:

1) Give it to Sutter and move on
2) Start a new pool with just Gersich and Sutter and see what happens

Thoughts?

I pick #1 for simplicity's sake.

However, having a runoff is always the superior option if we are concerned about the most accurate ranking.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I pick #1 for simplicity's sake.

However, having a runoff is always the superior option if we are concerned about the most accurate ranking.
I’ll give it till the end of the day and see if Shane gets another vote, if not we’ll just proceed with Sutter as the winner

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I’ll give it till the end of the day and see if Shane gets another vote, if not we’ll just proceed with Sutter as the winner

I actually just noticed I didn't vote in this poll and cast another vote for Sutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad