Prospect Info: Prospect Poll: #2 NYR Prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Miller is beyond overrated around here. Dubinsky-lite.

Voted McIlrath because he fills a role in our prospect depths that no one can fill like he does. Maybe Noreau, but not even close to what McI brings.

1. Kreider 2. McI 3. Lindberg 4. Miller IMO. But, I know that's an unfavorable opinion around these parts.

Add boo.

I think Miller's mental toughness is underrated. The kid was thrust into the 3c role and didnt blink. Played for one of the toughest coaches to play for and managed to hold his own for the most part. The rest of his game will catch up eventually. I think McI will be a great pro and probably better than Miller, but you have to praise Miller for what he did this year.

Kershaw

Miller is beyond overrated around here. Dubinsky-lite.

Voted McIlrath because he fills a role in our prospect depths that no one can fill like he does. Maybe Noreau, but not even close to what McI brings.

1. Kreider 2. McI 3. Lindberg 4. Miller IMO. But, I know that's an unfavorable opinion around these parts.

Add boo.

What's wrong with being Dubinsky-lite? He was certainly amongst the most successful prospects to come up the Rangers system this past decade.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't see the Miller and Dubinsky comparisons. Miller is a big two-way 3C, maybe 2C. Dubinsky is a grinder that adds grit and PK's. I think they're very different players.

Went with Lindberg.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If Miller turns out to be anything like Dubi, who was a 50 point guy at his peak, putting him top 2 on the prospect rankings isn't overrated at all.

And watching Miller play is a bit like Stepan was. A guy who you didn't think was impressive at all, then you look at the scoresheet and he is all over it.

Dubinsky-lite man, and Dubi hasn't peaked yet. I don't know, I'm just not impressed at all with Miller who I've seen play quite a bit. As for being all over the scoresheet? Well, wake me up when that happens. But hey, he did get goals in one NHL game out of 26 that he was up here for, so that's great.

Miller is nothing like Stepan. Stepan's IQ is through the roof, Miller doesn't have that, but does have more tenacity than Stepan does for sure. Stepan has the ability to score on his own, and ultimately makes his linemates much better for being their center. JT doesn't have that skill.

I think Miller's mental toughness is underrated. The kid was thrust into the 3c role and didnt blink. Played for one of the toughest coaches to play for and managed to hold his own for the most part. The rest of his game will catch up eventually. I think McI will be a great pro and probably better than Miller, but you have to praise Miller for what he did this year.

He definitely got more leeway/a different course with Tortorella than a guy like Kreider did. That's not a shot at Miller, he knew how to work the coach, so I'd agree with you, he's mentally tough. But so is Manny Malholtra. So is Blair Betts. So is Jed Ortmeyer. It takes more than that to be an NHL player, and I don't see it from JT.

To me, he pans as a 2/3C tweener. At the end of their respective careers, I'd put big money on Dubinsky ending with more NHL points than Miller does.

I hope to eat crow. It's not like I'm not rooting for him, I really hope he can become this teams 2C or a 2nd line winger, I just don't think it happens.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
He definitely got more leeway/a different course with Tortorella than a guy like Kreider did. That's not a shot at Miller, he knew how to work the coach, so I'd agree with you, he's mentally tough. But so is Manny Malholtra. So is Blair Betts. So is Jed Ortmeyer. It takes more than that to be an NHL player, and I don't see it from JT.

He got more leeway because he was creating more than Kreider on a regular basis.

I thought he was better than the stat sheet said, but clearly very, very raw and was in need of developmental time in the AHL. He obviously had gaffes (turnovers galore), but for a 19 year old who just went 15th overall, I didn't even expect what he provided.

I thought he started off really, really well, showed a lot of skill and smarts. He took a nosedive about ~10-15 games in, though, which is normal for a rookie player. He clearly wasn't ready for NHL time, but with the lack of depth the team had, they didn't have much of a choice.

Miller, to me, realistically becomes a 2-way, 50pt C. A jack of all-trades type. I'd be extremely pleased with that. I do think the upside is there for him to become a Richards/Kesler type, his offensive skill is underrated. He's built like a bull and has good hands, can skate, and showed flashes of great playmaking ability.

I did seriously debate between picking Miller/Kreider for the #1 spot. I still think Kreider pans out to be a 30 goal first line player, though.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He got more leeway because he was creating more than Kreider on a regular basis.

I thought he was better than the stat sheet said, but clearly very, very raw and was in need of developmental time in the AHL. He obviously had gaffes (turnovers galore), but for a 19 year old who just went 15th overall, I didn't even expect what he provided.

I thought he started off really, really well, showed a lot of skill and smarts. He took a nosedive about ~10-15 games in, though, which is normal for a rookie player. He clearly wasn't ready for NHL time, but with the lack of depth the team had, they didn't have much of a choice.

Miller, to me, realistically becomes a 2-way, 50pt C. A jack of all-trades type. I'd be extremely pleased with that. I do think the upside is there for him to become a Richards/Kesler type, his offensive skill is underrated. He's built like a bull and has good hands, can skate, and showed flashes of great playmaking ability.

I did seriously debate between picking Miller/Kreider for the #1 spot. I still think Kreider pans out to be a 30 goal first line player, though.

I agree with most things you said. I don't necessarily think he created more, but with the more leeway he had, the more talented linemates he had, etc... A domino effect in his favor for sure. Torts trusted him more, and as I said, that's a testament to JT Miller.

Thing is, as of now, your realistic expectation is my upside expectation for Miller. Kesler? No chance in my eyes.

I suppose we'll see, and I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad