Prospect opinion. who would you take

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
If you had a choice, which of these three would you rather have for the long term. Marcel Goc (SJ), Jaff Taffe (PHX) or Patrick Eaves (OTT)

Need to know for a keeper league and I am looking long term, not short term. I want to know who will have the better career/has the higher ceiling in your opinion. Thanks.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Wow. Ok, well that's pretty clear then. Ok, what about between just the other two? Eaves or Taffe? Does Taffe getting bumped down to the minors by all the UFA signings and tardes in Phoenix mean he's not as good as he was once touted?

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Im a PHX fan so I have natural bias but I have also seen a lot of Taffe and Goc indirectly a couple times.

Taffe's ceiling is pretty high. The opportunity is there for him to develop into a top line scoring center. He has a lot of skill and dominated the AHL from the start, racking up points easily. His 22 points in 79 games isnt that impressive but he was played out of position (left-wing instead of center) because the the Coyotes were overloaded with centers and lacking LW's. He also got minimal ice-time. Extrapolated to 2nd line ice-time his points increase to a 20-20-40 season, not bad playing out of position.

The problem with him (IMO) is that he plays like a pure 5'9 highly skilled sniper which brought him a lot of success. He likes to stay on the edges of the play and make the breaks. He is a big player and needs to use that size (6'2, 200+) or he is going to end up as a Brian Savage.

Goc is a safer player but doesnt have the same upside. Both would be in the NHL now if it was going. Eaves is further behind in his development so I wouldnt pick him ahead of those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad